Gauge Cluster Led Conversion

idahoBLKss

Ok I got a little problem first of all your posts were extremely helpful thanks dude.

I've got pretty much everything switched and working good. My problem is with the steering wheel lights. The lights all do not turn on but the buttons still work and control everything they are supposed to. When I first plugged in each button again the lights did all work, they stopped working once I rerouted the bottom right wire. I tried plugging in each button with just the circuit board part to try and trouble shoot the problem, the lights will come on for all of the buttons so long as I have one of the buttons plugged in "backwards" and with a button pressed, if the button isn't pressed no lights come on... this is frustrating the hell out of me.

Did I maybe scrape through one of the wires coatings and break a connection while I was pulling it through while rerouting? I can't find any fuses related specifically to the steering wheel, but I doubt it's a fuse since the button controls still work...

halp plx? crazy.gif

Ok I got a little problem first of all your posts were extremely helpful thanks dude.

I've got pretty much everything switched and working good. My problem is with the steering wheel lights. The lights all do not turn on but the buttons still work and control everything they are supposed to. When I first plugged in each button again the lights did all work, they stopped working once I rerouted the bottom right wire. I tried plugging in each button with just the circuit board part to try and trouble shoot the problem, the lights will come on for all of the buttons so long as I have one of the buttons plugged in "backwards" and with a button pressed, if the button isn't pressed no lights come on... this is frustrating the hell out of me.

Did I maybe scrape through one of the wires coatings and break a connection while I was pulling it through while rerouting? I can't find any fuses related specifically to the steering wheel, but I doubt it's a fuse since the button controls still work...

halp plx? crazy.gif

I don’t know if you noticed the captions above the pics that I wrote but you will find when you read the captions that some of the black arrows represent the positive and d some represent the negative. ... that sounds like your problem I would pull the switches and double check.

I don't know if you noticed the captions above the pics that I wrote but you will find when you read the captions that some of the black arrows represent the positive and d some represent the negative. ... that sounds like your problem I would pull the switches and double check.

Yeah I noticed that when I was doing em, might've zoned out and put em in backwards maybe. Once I get the truck back I'll take em apart and have a look.

OK my gas mileage button the led/resistors were on the wrong side.. swapped em around but still no lights? the other 3 are connected properly. Is there a fuse that covers the steering wheel lights as I cant find one?

EDIT: I tried one of my dad`s working lights from his avalanche, they don`t light up in mine, but my buttons light up in his. So I will be pulling the harness off tomorrow and following wires :( Anyone have any idea as to which wire powers the bulbs?

Edited by ThatTallCanadian (see edit history)

Most of the interior lights in a gm are brown. You can test for which one it is by using the dimmer switch and making sure the voltage drops with the switch.

You might have shorted out the clock-spring which would suck. If you have power in the column and not at the wheel, then that's probably your problem.

But you need a good testlight to diagnose the problem. If you don't have one you might have to come and see me.

Most of the interior lights in a gm are brown. You can test for which one it is by using the dimmer switch and making sure the voltage drops with the switch.

You might have shorted out the clock-spring which would suck. If you have power in the column and not at the wheel, then that's probably your problem.

But you need a good testlight to diagnose the problem. If you don't have one you might have to come and see me.

I don't have a test light at all actually. What do you mean by power in the column and not the wheel? My buttons still work, controlling all the things they should, just no lights at all. If I can't figure it out after class tomorrow are ya busy this weekend? PM me your number

Buy a test light from almost any hardware store.

Disconnect a working steering wheel button.

Ground out your test light (there is a metal brace under the dash you can clamp it to.)

Stick the test light in each hole of the plug then turn your lights on and off. (Do not have the key on)

When the test light comes on when you turn your lights on and goes off when you turn your lights off you will find out which wires powers just the light.

Then you can follow that same wire on the button that doesn't work to see if it is grounding out somewhere.

If it was a blown fuse then they all would not work.

Also on the one button that had pos/neg switched, I would use a new LED and resistor to ensure the other one didn't blow since it was switched.

i know the question has been answered before, but: does ur dim switch still work??? and can someone PLEASE PLEASE post a vid of the led's dimming??? PLEASE!?!?!

i want to eventually convert all of mine but i want to know if my dimmer will still work seeing as how led's are much brighter...

-Rob

i know the question has been answered before, but: does ur dim switch still work??? and can someone PLEASE PLEASE post a vid of the led's dimming??? PLEASE!?!?!

i want to eventually convert all of mine but i want to know if my dimmer will still work seeing as how led's are much brighter...

-Rob

yes it still works, ill get you a vid later when its dark.