Gauge Cluster Led Conversion

idahoBLKss

so when you convert to l.e.ds do you change the bulb that lights the needles? i understand that it glows orange cause of the orange plastic. but i was just wondering if those bulbs were converted also?

As far as im aware there are no "needle bulbs" I believe they light up from the gauge bulbs.

As far as im aware there are no "needle bulbs" I believe they light up from the gauge bulbs.

Thank's for clearing that up. well i went out and pulled the rest of the controls out and got the steering wheel off. now i know what you were talking about. with the lower control wires being very tight. I made the mistake and pulled the wires for it socket. but i got that fixed.

IMG_5862.jpg

also on my vol/seek button. It looks as if the paint has came off. some i called my local GM dealership and the have one in stock so im going to pick that up also. just so that all match. so this one will be new.

IMG_5881.jpg

Edited by shawnss (see edit history)

Ive got the same problem... Missing paint. And yes the bottom buttons are ridiculously tight. I'm worried about ripping them right out :shakehead:

well i removed the steering wheel and the seemed to help. you can move the wiring harness around. its super simple to remove the steering wheel.

I am about 3/4 of the way through this swap. I only have my door panels to do. Anyone else notice that their light (not the gauge) looks almost purple? I have a blue LED stereo mounting kit from Humount and my stereo also has blue LED. I was hoping they all would match. The gauge does but the other accessories are way darker. I got all my parts from www.c-leds.com.

3mm Blue LED

3.0-3.4v / 24mA max / 6,000mcd

5mm Blue LED

3.0-3.4v / 24mA max / 8,000mc

Any help would be helpful. Thanks!

So I got the steering wheel figured out and went on to the a/c cluster. Finished all my connections, plugged it in, about 3 seconds later POOF a nice tail of smoke :shakehead: the only thing that works is the green temp screen now... I took it apart and nothing seems burnt or cooked but I noticed one of my + connections fused with a -. Is the thing salvage able or should I begin scowering the local pick n pull? Oh and the little orange lights still work, the ones that tell you if you have the mirror warmers are on and junk.

Edited by canadianVRss (see edit history)

So I got the steering wheel figured out and went on to the a/c cluster. Finished all my connections, plugged it in, about 3 seconds later POOF a nice tail of smoke :shakehead: the only thing that works is the green temp screen now... I took it apart and nothing seems burnt or cooked but I noticed one of my + connections fused with a -. Is the thing salvage able or should I begin scowering the local pick n pull? Oh and the little orange lights still work, the ones that tell you if you have the mirror warmers are on and junk.

My guess would be that it's probably fried. However, I would check to see if any fuses are blown.

man that sucks , i dont know much about electronics but sounds like you cross circuited something. you got to be extremely careful when putting it back to gether that all led leads are off the circuit board and not touching any other components. this is a risky process and that is why i tell my customers up from that i em not responsible if something were to happen i can only guarantee that i will do the best i can.

Yeah if your doing any mods it's pretty obvious you should take responsibility for your own screw ups lol. I tested all the LEDs with a almost dead 9V and they all glowed when I by passed the resistors. Hmmm maybe all the resistors got fried? :shakehead:

• 2 weeks later...

OK guys bumping this thread back up and have some questions for anyone who can answer. And yes I have read this whole thread probably about 4 or 5 times.

Does anyone have any pictures of the driver and passenger door heated seat switch's done?? I have looked and could not find them.

Also how do you determine if the lighting needs a resistor? I know that resistors are used in almost all of these lights, but why and how do you determine how much resistance is required? For example why is it that the door window and lock switches do not need to have resistors?

From all the pictures it seems like the steering wheel controls are by far the brightest lights. Why? Is it possible to change the resistance and make them a little more even with the rest of them?

As always I appreciate any expertise in this subject. Thanks guys.

Rob

OK guys bumping this thread back up and have some questions for anyone who can answer. And yes I have read this whole thread probably about 4 or 5 times.

Does anyone have any pictures of the driver and passenger door heated seat switch's done?? I have looked and could not find them.

Also how do you determine if the lighting needs a resistor? I know that resistors are used in almost all of these lights, but why and how do you determine how much resistance is required? For example why is it that the door window and lock switches do not need to have resistors?

From all the pictures it seems like the steering wheel controls are by far the brightest lights. Why? Is it possible to change the resistance and make them a little more even with the rest of them?

As always I appreciate any expertise in this subject. Thanks guys.

Rob

ok ... the reason you don't need a resistor on some of the switches is because the factory ones were leds (different type of led but still led ) there for the already have resistors in the circuit board already .you can tell what are leds from factory they are usually square and look nothing like a bulb . steering wheel lights will be brighter cause they are right there behind the plastic but if you want them a lil dimmer you can point them away or to the side so its not directly at the switch.