Gauge Cluster Led Conversion

idahoBLKss

i forgot...... but in the first vid Jon posted on page 1 he shows them dimming.

k, let me go back and look for it... havent opened this thread in a LONG time so i'v missed a few new pages...

EDIT: ok went back and watched the vid, it does show the dimmer but not much... think u can still shot a short vid to show urs please???

-Rob

Edited by BlkSSnCpt (see edit history)

the dimmer works, i keep mine on full brightness though. It's not THAT bright, just looks much brighter through a picture. the only "bright" thing is either steering wheels a bit, or the 2 additional lights behind the dimmer, if they are not aimed properly you can see the led itself through the cracks and it will give u some pretty bad glare.

Ok I got an update here, still need some thoughts and suggestions please. (Just to recap, all steering wheel lights are not working/lighting up. The problem is not in the leds as my lights all work when plugged into my dads truck (03 avalanche).

I have tested a new steering wheel wiring harness today, that did not fix the problem. I bought a test light, and found that one connection lights up when the interior lights are turned on with the truck shut off. The picture below will show which connection lights up.

plugmine.jpg

Now when I took the test light to my dads truck I found that 2 connections are supposed to light up as shown below:

plugdad.jpg

I stripped the wire for that second connection thinking that maybe the connection inside the plug was loose and took the test light to the bare wire, nothing lit up. I'm at such a loss right now. Is it just a simple fuse? I don't know which fuse is for the steering wheel lights and I don't really want to pull every single fuse out one by one to see if any are burnt out.. I can get a whole harness from the column down but thats 100 bucks and a lot of unnecessary work...

Ok I got an update here, still need some thoughts and suggestions please. (Just to recap, all steering wheel lights are not working/lighting up. The problem is not in the leds as my lights all work when plugged into my dads truck (03 avalanche).

I have tested a new steering wheel wiring harness today, that did not fix the problem. I bought a test light, and found that one connection lights up when the interior lights are turned on with the truck shut off. The picture below will show which connection lights up.

Now when I took the test light to my dads truck I found that 2 connections are supposed to light up as shown below:

I stripped the wire for that second connection thinking that maybe the connection inside the plug was loose and took the test light to the bare wire, nothing lit up. I'm at such a loss right now. Is it just a simple fuse? I don't know which fuse is for the steering wheel lights and I don't really want to pull every single fuse out one by one to see if any are burnt out.. I can get a whole harness from the column down but thats 100 bucks and a lot of unnecessary work...

You need to trace down the dimmer wire for the buttons down to the column. Hopefully it`s not the clockspring. Most of the interior lights will all be on one fuse, so you can use your test light to try to find a burnt fuse, but i doubt it.

Take the column cover of, it should just pop off, and you need to test for an illumination wire at the clockspring, but you just can`t go probing wires in the because of the air bag wiring. To disable the sir...

Turn the steering wheel until the vehicle's wheels are pointing straight ahead.

Turn OFF the ignition.

Remove the key from the ignition.

Important

With the AIR BAG fuse removed and the ignition ON, the AIR BAG indicator illuminates. This is normal operation and does not indicate an SIR system malfunction.

Remove the AIR BAG fuse from the fuse block.

Remove the connector position assurance (CPA) (1) from the steering wheel module yellow 4-way connector (2) located left of the steering column near the knee bolster.

Disconnect the steering wheel module yellow 4-way connector (2).

Enabling Procedure

Remove the key from the ignition.

Connect the steering wheel module yellow 4-way connector (2) located left of the steering column near the knee bolster.

Install the CPA (1) to the steering wheel module yellow 4-way connector (2).

Install the AIR BAG fuse to the fuse block.

Staying well away from all air bags, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

The AIR BAG indicator will flash 7 times.

The AIR BAG indicator will then turn OFF.

Perform the Diagnostic System Check - SIR if the AIR BAG indicator does not operate as described.

� Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Or you could just come here and I can test it for you.

you could also get a buss fuse tester. i have a few of them and they work great. it will light up if the fuse is good. just touch the two metal prongs of the buss tester to the top of the fuse where you see the metal tabs. heres what they look like. $5 at any autoparts store.

21-jolBc8PL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Edited by shawnss (see edit history)

Paulguy saves the day. I went over to his place and he was able to find the problem with his multimeter and fix it. Turns out in the illumination wire, past the clockspring, there is a inline glass fuse, and that was tripped. Put a new one in and now it works. Never would've been able to find it on my own.

Paulguy saves the day. I went over to his place and he was able to find the problem with his multimeter and fix it. Turns out in the illumination wire, past the clockspring, there is a inline glass fuse, and that was tripped. Put a new one in and now it works. Never would've been able to find it on my own.

did you take a pic of it ? where is that located exactly?

Like I said... I don't like to lose.

Now if the freaking Oilers wound just have the same attitude, dirty rotten sandbaggers, I'd be happy.

Edited by paulguy (see edit history)