Found the problem with my motor

Well, just talked to the guy that took my motor apart. As it turns out, there were two spun cam bearings. Pistons, rods, and crank all looked good. There was some material down in my oil pan.

The only problem now is there is a chance that my block may not be any good. From what I understand, any time you spin a bearing, there is a good chance that new bearings will not hold. Although the place where the bearing goes looks damage free, chances are a new bearing is not going to stick in there. So, what has to be done is bore out that area and then use oversized bearings. If oversized bearings cannot be found, then there is a pretty good chance that my block will not be used and have to get another one. Hopefully, since this motor uses the same cam bearings as the LS1, 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 - oversized bearings are made. We'll see.

I'll post some pics a little later that he took for me.

Well, just talked to the guy that took my motor apart. As it turns out, there were two spun cam bearings. Pistons, rods, and crank all looked good. There was some material down in my oil pan.

The only problem now is there is a chance that my block may not be any good. From what I understand, any time you spin a bearing, there is a good chance that new bearings will not hold. Although the place where the bearing goes looks damage free, chances are a new bearing is not going to stick in there. So, what has to be done is bore out that area and then use oversized bearings. If oversized bearings cannot be found, then there is a pretty good chance that my block will not be used and have to get another one. Hopefully, since this motor uses the same cam bearings as the LS1, 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 - oversized bearings are made. We'll see.

I'll some post pics a little later that he took for me.

Best of luck to you in finding what you need. Sorry you are having this trouble.

I knew, that's exactly what happened to my block a couple years ago, 5 psi all the time.

Get this, is survived several trips to the track and hard street driving, lol. Never missed a beat. These ls1's are great.

allen

sure does suck. sounds like you may have to go another route? going to be very difficult to find a 6.0 block around. there is some guy selling 6.0's on the LS1tech site pretty cheap in crates.

Here are the pics:

Front Bearing. This looked mostly normal from what I have read/seen. Although you can see the wear.

DCP_0501.JPG

One of the bearings that were fused to the cam.

DCP_0500.JPG

Bearing material.

DCP_0495.JPG

Crank - no visible damage whatsoever. Pistons and rods look the same.

DCP_0509.JPG

Who put in your cam???  They must have damaged them.

I am nervous about changing my cam for that reason.

I am to blame for that. Number 3 must have been a bad one. :sick:

you see, now if you'd been happy with either of the first two cams it wouldn't be a problem. :jester:

Archived