Time To Get Another Dd

SSThunder

My current DD is a 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix SE. The SS is sold and will be gone Friday so I'm looking to get a used DD that can pull my jet ski and also has 4 doors. My daughter will be 4 in July so I'm thinking of getting a used SUV. what do you guys think?

I'm looking at something with decent MPG, 4 doors and can pull my jet ski. I've been checking out Jeep Grand Cherokee's, Ford Explorers and Chevy Trailblazers. All seem all right for towing light weight and having four doors. The only bad thing is there MPG isn't the best. What do you guys/girls think?

I know I'm going to miss the SS but my goal is to get a nice used Z06 :devil: I'm going to save up for a bit to put a lot of cash down so I don't have a crazy high car payment.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:withstupid: Trailblazer SS! :chevy:

Too nice of a vehicle to be a DD plus I want to spend under $10K.

The Jeep grand cherokee seems to be the best priced for what you get. I do like the trailblazers but those v6's suck. My buddy had one before he bought his truck and MPG were worse than his truck or mine.

Jeremy, I have been looking around for the same option myself. I have also considered some of the same vehicles.

I am absolutely ruling out the Jeep Grand Cherokees unless you get a long warranty. Everyone I talk to has endless issues out of warranty, trans, electrical, and not to mention the V6's are pathetically weak for pretty much any towing.

My fiance has a 2005 trailblazer LS. We picked it up for $9k with 50k miles on it. 4x4, cloth interior, sunroof, tow package. She has 80k on it now and no issues with it. The I6 pulls my 3500lb bass boat with no problem so jet skis would be no issue. I just wish it had leather interior. The cloth seats are not a joy on long road trips (nothing like the SS anyways, but better than your current DD).

When I sell the SS, I am planning to replace it with a GM 360 platform vehicle as well (Envoy, TB, 9-7x, Rainier, Bravada). What I really want is an Envoy Denali. It has the 5.3L with 300hp but also has DOD. It runs on regular so its not bad on the freeway and is really luxurious on the inside. It would be my first choice, but finding a nice one with decent miles will run me high teens at best and I am trying to keep it under $15k so I can get another toy car (Lsx based, most likely a C6). I have found several TB LTZ's which are loaded up for $10-13k with under 80-90k miles on them. Also, the Envoy SLT's are 4x4 and loaded up as well, but are still the 4.2L I6. If you really want to save some coin, you could check out the Oldsmobile Bravada which they stopped making in 04 (02-04 are the same as the TB, except awd and come with the 4.2L only). I dont particularly like the Bravadas because of the full time awd (mpg's suffer as a result) and well, styling isnt as appealing as the Envoys and TB's.

The other ones I was looking at are the Saab 9-7x's as they have an available V8, look much better than the Bravada, but they are still up near $20k for one in decent shape.

There is also the Buick Rainier CXL which if you look hard enough, you can find one for under $15k with the available 5.3L V8.

I'm pretty much about reliability for towing and all of my outdoor activities. These are all smaller, easy to park, better on mpg's (better than even the Jeeps), etc. I would consider another Avalanche, but lets face it, the 4L6XE in a full size GM behind an even stock V8 is a ticking time bomb, plus the Avalanches in my price range I want to spend, dont have DOD (I dont think it was available until 07 on them from myunderstanding).

I suppose like anything else, it boils down to your budget (cash or credit as well), how much you really want to tow, how many miles you want starting out on a used vehicle, etc.

One other vehicle I have considered if I dare say, was the Nissan Xterrs. Nice little package. Powerful V6's since the re-design in 2005 with 4x4 available, rugged and tough looking, somewhat rare (at least around here), and a 5,000+ lb towing capacity (AND AN AVAILABLE 6SPEED MANUAL for a little more fun factor). Only thing is no leather, no heated seats, and I have heard questionable things about reliability. And most examples I find are are just above the $15k range. The previous generations seem to turn into rust buckets, that also seems to scare me a little bit.

I think the best all around package seems to be the Envoy SLT 4x4. Its cheap, it looks good, sufficient power, good mpg's for an SUV, leather, bose available, ride is good, handles like a dump truck, but it is an SUV. It will most likely be my next DD as I seach for my new project this summer.

Jeremy...

#1 - the back seat of Jeep Cherokee's suck for comfort. Not that you'll be riding back there ... but they are uncomfortable as heck ..

#2 - Go with a Crown Vic P71 and a Uhaul trailer hitch. Cheap to get, cheap to fix and they run forever. With the money you save, then go get yourself a dencet ride in a couple years ... :thumbs:

LOL ... that's all ...

The Jeep grand cherokee seems to be the best priced for what you get. I do like the trailblazers but those v6's suck. My buddy had one before he bought his truck and MPG were worse than his truck or mine.

You will regret the Jeep GC without a warranty. The Trailblazers get 16 city and 20hwy. And they have a bullet proof 4.2L inline 6.

Also, Stitches is right about the back seat, very little leg room and even less head room. I didnt see your budget until after my lengthy post, but then a higher mileage Envoy, a TB LTZ, or Bravada are pretty much in your budget range. I dont think you will regret it.

Try to find a Trailblazer or Buick Rainier with the 5.3L. The Grand Cherokee, Explorer, and Trailblazer all get terrible fuel milage. If you get anywhere near what they are rated for you're lucky. You may want to consider a retired police Tahoe also. They don't get any worse milage than the Trailblazer.

Try to find a Trailblazer or Buick Rainier with the 5.3L. The Grand Cherokee, Explorer, and Trailblazer all get terrible fuel milage. If you get anywhere near what they are rated for you're lucky. You may want to consider a retired police Tahoe also. They don't get any worse milage than the Trailblazer.

I have thought about an older used Tahoe. prices seem reasonable on them. A budy of mine has an Envoy XLT(one with the sliding roof) and it's a pretty nice ride. Loaded with leather and back glass behind 2nd row seating so you can use the back like a truck. He hasn't had many issues with it and it has a different engine(300HP I think). I forgot what it's called but I read about the engine on here. I'll look more into the Tahoes and TB's.

I wouldn't touch a Cherokee with a thousand foot poll, they are garbage. I know a couple people who have new ones and are having endless problems with them.

I know some of you will want to hang me for saying this, but have you looked at the Toyota 4Runner? The 4th generation will be out of your budget but you can find some 3rd gen's in you price range. They get decent miles per gal and run forever. I have a newer 4th gen 4Runner and it's the best SUV I've ever owned.

I have thought about an older used Tahoe. prices seem reasonable on them.

If you do some searching, there are some real nice ones out there for low prices. After a few months of searching, I picked up a really clean '03 Tahoe LS at the end of October with only 72k on the clock......5.3L, 4x4, 3rd row seat, Bose 6 CD stereo, running boards, and rear AC/audio. I basically stole it, got it for $9k before tax and tags. With the amount of snow we have had here already this season, it has already paid for itself. It averages 17-18mpg on the highway, 12-13 around town, and still has enough power to get out of its own way..........not to mention it has a really comfortable ride.

I recommend looking into one. :chevy:

HPIM1285.JPG

HPIM1288.JPG

HPIM1290.JPG

I wouldn't touch a Cherokee with a thousand foot poll, they are garbage. I know a couple people who have new ones and are having endless problems with them.

I know some of you will want to hang me for saying this, but have you looked at the Toyota 4Runner? The 4th generation will be out of your budget but you can find some 3rd gen's in you price range. They get decent miles per gal and run forever. I have a newer 4th gen 4Runner and it's the best SUV I've ever owned.

Yeah I've checked out a few online. going to have to be patient to find one in my price range.

If you do some searching, there are some real nice ones out there for low prices. After a few months of searching, I picked up a really clean '03 Tahoe LS at the end of October with only 72k on the clock......5.3L, 4x4, 3rd row seat, Bose 6 CD stereo, running boards, and rear AC/audio. I basically stole it, got it for $9k before tax and tags. With the amount of snow we have had here already this season, it has already paid for itself. It averages 17-18mpg on the highway, 12-13 around town, and still has enough power to get out of its own way..........not to mention it has a really comfortable ride.

I recommend looking into one. :chevy:

Yeah I've seen a few in a for sale mag but nothing like yours. Most are high milage ho's. I'd be licky to find one like your Dan but I'm going to try. I might also check out some crew cab chevy's. I really need 4 real doors. Our 4 doors just doesn't cut it plus the back seat is crap. not enough room

Yeah I've seen a few in a for sale mag but nothing like yours. Most are high milage ho's. I'd be licky to find one like your Dan but I'm going to try. I might also check out some crew cab chevy's. I really need 4 real doors. Our 4 doors just doesn't cut it plus the back seat is crap. not enough room

Be persistent, be patient, and don't settle for a POS. It may take a little time, but the right one will come along, it did for me. If they want to make the sale and they know you are interested, they will dicker on price with you......