Difference Between Silverado Ss Years

vette c5

In the next few months I will be looking into buying a SS Silverado. I do not know awhole lot about each year of the SS Silverado. Can someone tell me the differences between a 2003, 2004, 2005 SS Silverado.

I would like to know because when it comes time for me buying a SS, I will only need something basic and miles are not really a concern. So would it be wiser for me to go after a 2003 to save money?

Thanks.

Edited by vette c5 (see edit history)

-'05+ had e-fans and a 145amp alternator

-RWD models have a 14 bolt rear, 3.73 ratio, AWD drive models have a 10 bolt rear with 4.10s front and rear

-in 2004 chrome wheels became an option, then standard in 2005

-in 2003, the in dash 6 CD changer was optional, became standard in 2004

-along with the change to drum brakes and RWD(mid 2005), the front brake rotors were upgraded from 12" to 13"

-'06-'07 SSSs had a revised grill shell and "Powerdome" HD hood

-'04+ models have a returnless fuel system

-'05+ had an optional sunroof

-'05+ had an optional no frills cloth interior

-'03-'04 had optional digital HVAC, standard from '05 on

-RWD models have a 2 piece steel driveshaft, AWD models have an alluminum rear drive shaft

-933 unit Intimidator appearance package available in '06

-Arrival Blue available in '03-'04, replaced by Silver Birch Metallic in '05

There a lot of other minor interior things that are different too. The gear selector is digital and on the 06' its not. The older SSS have the side lubar support and the newer SSS do not have them. The older SSS have INST> MPG and the newer one only has AVG MPG. The newer SSS have only one antena for onstar/xm intead of two. the older SSS have carpet on the bottom of the door panels and the newer ones do not. The older SSS have seat positon reset upon unlocking the truck.

supposedley they were 1033 DEI SS' made, of which 933 were labeled "Intimidator" for 06. They were not just an appearance package, they had a difference suspension but not anything drastic. The 100 leftover that were not labeled w/the appearance and suspension package are supposedley 2007 Super Sport trucks. i remember a member on here who has an 07 and he has the exact same suspension setup as a DEI SS.

Here is some info on the DEI SS v. SS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverado_SS#...et_Silverado_SS)

[edit] Chevrolet Silverado SS

220px-03-05_Chevrolet_Silverado_SS.jpg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:03-05_Ch...ilverado_SS.jpgSilverado SSLaunched in 2003, the Silverado SS is a high-performance pickup truck built by Chevrolet. It is based on the standard 1500 Silverado, with upgrades in drive train and both exterior and interior appearance. It uses the 6.0 liter Vortec High-Output V8 rated at 345 hp (257 kW) at 5200 rpm and 380 lb·ft (515 N·m) of torque at 4000 rpm. This was the same engine used for the second generation Cadillac Escalade. Chevrolet and GMC advertise this engine as the "VortecMAX", while Cadillac calls it the "HO 6000". The SS debuted with a standard All Wheel Drive setup, but was later changed to the current Rear Wheel Drive only format. The Silverado SS also comes with the Z60 performance suspension and 20 inch chrome wheels.

[edit] Intimidator SS

In 2006, Chevrolet released a special edition Silverado SS under the name "Intimidator SS" (licensed by Dale Earnhardt Inc..) to honor the late Dale Earnhardt. The truck that came with several minor appearance upgrades, a lowered ride height, performance suspension, two-stage multi-leaf springs, Tenneco shocks, a stiffer front stabilizer bar and harder front jounce bumpers, but left the bulk of the truck the same as the regular SS.[3]

not trying to thread jack here and this is a question to all. If you had a 03, 04, 05, and a 06 SSS setting in front of you all full option trucks and they all had the same mileage and price tag what one would you pick and why? what options do you wish you had on your truck that you dont?

For me the perfect truck would be a combo of a few.......

03-04 Arrival Blue, AWD, Chrome Wheels, Digital Climate Control, Bose w/ XM/Onstar, (not offered but would want) Factory Sunroof and Nav.

i do believe the 05 and up lq9 had a stronger rotating assembly?

also the 2wd SS have 4l65e's little strong then a 4l60 since it has a 5 plantary instead of 4.

the bose sucks if you ever plan on doing a real system in the truck.

if you get a 05 and up be prepared for people to ask you if its a real SS since you have drum brakes in the rear.

i do believe the 05 and up lq9 had a stronger rotating assembly?

also the 2wd SS have 4l65e's little strong then a 4l60 since it has a 5 plantary instead of 4.

the bose sucks if you ever plan on doing a real system in the truck.

if you get a 05 and up be prepared for people to ask you if its a real SS since you have drum brakes in the rear.

Yeah the 06' SSS has LS2 rods, LS2 timing set, LS6 oil pump and I read something on PT.net that they even have LS7 lifters too. So those are some nice upgrades already!

Edited by WICKEDOWESIX (see edit history)