What Tire Gave You The Best Service?

SilveradoEsEs

I've noticed a lot of opinion on these tire posts. A lot of the time they are from people who haven't had the brand for very long. They are giving only initial impressions. I think it would be helpful to myself and others if there were a post that gives long-term experiences with the different tire brands.

Feel free to jump in with your own personal experiences. I only ask that you give feedback where you have long-term experience. No new tire experiences, please.

Driving style: Semi-aggressive. No one-wheel peels. Occasional straight line 1-2 gear sprints.

Here is my personal review and cross comparisons of the factory GY's and the Grabber UHPs I'm currently running.

Factory Good Years - Decent ride quality; a little squirrely in the traction department. Not much wheel protection due to sidewall design. Managed to get 39k out of them before starting to have hydroplaning issues.

General Grabber UHP's - Very good looking tire with directional tread pattern; harsh ride quality :shakehead: . Upgraded to a 295/50/20 over stock size GY's. Has built in wheel protection due to bead design. Excellent traction and wet weather performance. Didn't get expected life out of the tire. I have 25k on them and nearly down to the wear bars. Would not recommend them to anyone due to wear issue. Looking to replace soon! :thumbsdown:

I agree about the general tires mine started falling apart on me literally and the wear was going down. I got some Nitto 420s 305/50/20 and i love them also got the extra warranty from Discount Tire. I got them for 170 they added the shipping because i sent them a price to match from a online site.

I have the general grabbers. This is my second set and I am very happy with them. They are super cheap. They have a killer tread pattern. I agree they do wear down a little quick but the price is great and I would definetly buy them again....

Greg

I have the general grabbers. This is my second set and I am very happy with them. They are super cheap. They have a killer tread pattern. I agree they do wear down a little quick but the price is great and I would definetly buy them again....

Greg

iamwithstupid.gif i havent had my grabber uhps long but so far i love them. couldn't ask for better traction in wet or dry conditions and the tread pattern looks awesome imo

I've noticed a lot of opinion on these tire posts. A lot of the time they are from people who haven't had the brand for very long. They are giving only initial impressions. I think it would be helpful to myself and others if there were a post that gives long-term experiences with the different tire brands.

Feel free to jump in with your own personal experiences. I only ask that you give feedback where you have long-term experience. No new tire experiences, please.

Driving style: Semi-aggressive. No one-wheel peels. Occasional straight line 1-2 gear sprints.

Here is my personal review and cross comparisons of the factory GY's and the Grabber UHPs I'm currently running.

Factory Good Years - Decent ride quality; a little squirrely in the traction department. Not much wheel protection due to sidewall design. Managed to get 39k out of them before starting to have hydroplaning issues.

General Grabber UHP's - Very good looking tire with directional tread pattern; harsh ride quality shakehead.gif . Upgraded to a 295/50/20 over stock size GY's. Has built in wheel protection due to bead design. Excellent traction and wet weather performance. Didn't get expected life out of the tire. I have 25k on them and nearly down to the wear bars. Would not recommend them to anyone due to wear issue. Looking to replace soon! thumbsdown.gif

I have 37k on my Goodyear's, overall they have been a good tire at a decent price. I keep them rotated and balanced at least every other oil change. I am looking at the new P275/55R20 Michelin LTXMS2 ($225 ea) they are nearly twice the price of the Eagles, but if they last twice as long? I need a all season tire here in Colorado.

I've been looking into Yokohoma Prada Spec X's an they seem to be a pretty good tire for the money. But I'm still shopping as well. Anyone have opinions? I'm also not sure what size i should stick with. qhat do you guys recommend?

I've been looking into Yokohoma Prada Spec X's an they seem to be a pretty good tire for the money. But I'm still shopping as well. Anyone have opinions? I'm also not sure what size i should stick with. qhat do you guys recommend?

I'm running 295/50/20 on my stock 20" wheels. I've heard others say you can get away with 305/50/20 on the stock wheel, but they rub slightly when the steering wheel is turned to the stops.

Photos of the 295/50/20s. Link

Pirelli Scorpion ATR 265 75 r16 LT 10 ply tire, Good looking tire trough out its life time. Tire life was good at 45k miles, Grip was not that great in any weather. For an ATR tire, off road grip was not that great either. These tires last a good amout of time and where used on a work truck that constanlty had a load in the bed or towed up to 12k pounds. Towing grip was not that good when loaded, A bone stock 8.1l would break the tires loose trying to leave from a dead stop, especially when wet. Highway manners where good, road feel was good. they did have a tendency to flat spot when parked for a while but that came out after warming them up and usually within a few minutes.

BFGoodrich All terrain T/A KO 265 75 r16 I have mixed feeling on these tires. They where far supperior to the Pirelli Scorpion ATR's in every way both on and off road. I actually need to use the 4x4 is some cases with the pirelli's that the BFG mannaged in just 2wd. Good road manners as long as you keep an eye on allingment issues. Overall they where a great tire. Here is the BAD, at about 30k miles worth of life, one tire's thread seperated causing about $3000 worth of damage to the RR side of the truck on the freeway with no prior signs. I entered a claim/dispute with the parent company of BFG, Michellin. While in the dispute process, a second trie started to let go, This time I cought it on time since it was in the Right fron the you could feel the bulge in the steering wheel. I was now down to two BFG, the stock spare, and a replacement I had to buy. Three days later a third tire started to let go, the Left Front, since I ran out of tires I swithced it to the RR being as that side had already been damaged. I took it easy the rest of the way Home but it still let go causing further damage to the RR of the truck. SO with in two week three tires came loose. Michellin payed for the damages and prorated a new set of tires. I could have just gotten a bad batch of tires but I am now sketchy of them. I know a few people that still run them and they have had good luck with them.

Khumo Road Ventrue A/T 265 75 r16 So far they have about 5000 miles and are on par with the BFG All Terrain tires. better road manners than the Pirelli's and MUCH better towing traction and off road performance. Boring tire compared to both the Scorpions and the BFG's but much cheaper. A nice tire to get if you are low on funds.

BFGoodrich gForce KDW II (285 55 R20 (SSS))/ (295 40 r18 Rear/255 45 r18 Front (BMW 850i)) Great performance tire, very sticky, handles great, stable at any speed One of the best looking tires out there. only dowside is the Price and it does wear out faster than the stock goodyears. However these put the goodyears to shame in all categories. I highly recomend them if your SSS is not a DD and you need a good traction tire or if you don't care that you only get about 30-35k miles to them depending on how you use them. these hook up at the track much beter than the Goodyears also.

Goodyear eagle ls II Stock tires, bad traction, overall they where good tires but not for higher than average performance. Good life at abut 40k miles.

• 2 weeks later...

I searched everywhere and read reviews all over and found the best deal for me to be the cooper discoverer ht+'s. So far i have no complaints. They ride better than the gy's and all reviews said they wear better. They seem to spin a little easier but as far as traction they are pretty comparable to the gy. They also have a smooth side and a designed side, so you have a choice. The tread design looks to be a lot more agressive than the others without looking like a mud grappler or something.

Edited by ndcjr (see edit history)

Ive been running the pirelli scorpions atr's for about two years now and i drive my truck everyday. i had a friend that was a manager of a tire store when i bought these so i got a awesome deal but i had him do some research for me to find a good tire that was good in the snow and ice since we get a decent amount of it up here in Idaho that was priced right too. he found the pirelli's and i half to be honest when he mentioned it i question him and he told me he would put me into a shity tire. i got the tires on and first thing i saw was that the sidewalls have a real aggressive look to them, and the thread pattern was also cool looking and was not directional making rotations nice and easy. so i got them on in the summer almost 2 years ago now and they hooked up good on the street so i decided to try the dirt out... i couldn't break them loose at all. when winter came they performed awesome in the snow and ice. these tires and the awd were unstoppable!! the second winter came around tires hooked good not as good as the first winter but still good enough to go 1/3 throttle on snow and not loose traction. conclusion after 2 years of all weather driving i think i have another year i can get out of them with them looking and performing good. for the money they are a great tire and will be hard to beat as far as price.

Edited by idahoBLKss (see edit history)

im running the michelin LTX M/S2's and they are great tires, I really noticed the difference from the goodyears and the truck rides really smooth on the surface streets and also on the highway. Also just are great in the snow when i do mountain driving in the winter mouths for snowboarding. just my 2 cents..

• 2 weeks later...

I need some new tires, are the General UHPs any decent in the snow. I live in northern IL so we get quite a bit in the winter and would

like a good tire that also performs in the snow. thanks

I am running the Spec X in 305 50 20. Tire is great for the performanc but I have only had them for about 4000 miles. They also are not to expesive.