TT3000 and Transgo kit installed...

I picked up my truck from the tranny shop this afternoon. They installed the tt3000 and theTransgo kit w/servo. WOW! What a difference. :thumbs: I'm just going on seat of the pants here but the difference was startling! QUICK shifts and much harder pulling through the gears. I'll have more on measurable performance after tomorrow night when I go to the track for test and tune night. That being said, there are a few strange things going on I thought I'd ask you folks who already have the above mods.

1. About 1 out of every 3 times I run it WOT through the gears, it shifts into 3rd with a nice hard shift, then for some reason, after about a second of pulling hard through the gear, my RPM's drop from approx. 4200 down to 3200, then start pulling up through the gear again. I can literally watch the tach drop and feel the truck slow down then start to speed up again...WTF? :fume: It's kind of a bummer. I had a friend who was riding with me and he even said, "Dude, did you mean to do that or what??!!" My reply of course was a very concerned and confused "NO!"

2. The truck has a VERY pronounced whine to it now, presumably from the transmission. I had the same friend drive the truck while I followed behind in his car and you can hear the whine from 7-8 car lengths back. The only thing I can equate it to is the sound of a gear drive, only about half as loud. Is this normal?

I haven't gotten the updated tune from Allen for the converter and shift kit. That will be here in a few days, but I don't see how that could be contributing to the strangeness listed above. I would really appreciate some input from you guys who already have experience with these mods...

The tune will fix most of that. Take it easy until you get the updated tune in there. Allen probably gave you some extra line pressure in the original tune, and that is not good when combined with a shift kit.

The whining sound is probably the line pressure being too high.

Also, check your fluid level.

:cheers:

The tune will fix most of that. Take it easy until you get the updated tune in there. Allen probably gave you some extra line pressure in the original tune, and that is not good when combined with a shift kit.

The whining sound is probably the line pressure being too high.

Also, check your fluid level.

:cheers:

:thumbs:

What did they charge you to install the torque converter and shift kit?

When I get back home from my St. louis trip I have to decide if I want to do it my self or have a tranny shop do it.

I have had the shift for a while now and the 2600 stall showed up the day I was leaving, now I want to get it in real soon when I get back and get her to the track to see how she goes. :cheers:

Bill-03-SD

$440. for labor, $99.99 for parts.

Here's how the extra parts listed out:

SPG Pump Ring Kit $24.00 (recommended by Tranny Shop)

High Energy Flex Band $30.39 (my original one was somewhat "glazed")

M/C Pump Seal $2.03

Gaskets/seals for front pump cover $3.03

New Pan filter $18.54

*Mettalic Forward Accumulator Piston $17.23 (recommended by Joe from JEG)

(*see note below)

Transfer Case gasket $4.77

Total extra parts= $99.99

A note on the forward accumulator piston, Joe from JEG performance, where I purchased the shift kit, reccommended that in addition to replacing the plastic accumulator pistons for 1-2 and 3-4 shifts with their mettalic counterparts, I also should replace the plastic "Forward" accumulator piston with a mettalic one. After many phone calls to various Chevy parts resources, I was told that particular piston could not be had in metal anymore as the part number needed had been "superceded" by the new number, which is only available in plastic. I did not have time to speak with Zippy about it, so I authorized them to pull the needed piston from one of their older pre-owned tranny's which they stock for older/hard to find parts. I inspected the piston with the tech, and It looked like new, so we went ahead and put it in. Zippy, if you read this and know something contrary about this parts availability, please post it. I'm sure there are many who would find it very helpful if they ever do this upgrade. I know it could have saved me an hour or two on the phone!

with all of the calling around you went through, did you try to just give them the number?

it's in this post: link to post

we have them in stock at work and get them in on a regular basis, haven't seen any part number change on it yet.

Sorry Zip, I guess I'm still confused! I'm not referring to the replacement for the plastic accumulator pistons for 1-2 and 3-4 shifts, I'm referring to a third type, the "Forward" accumulator piston which, to my knowledge, has never been discussed or mentioned on the board with the exception of your photo in the post you referenced. I also saw the previous photo you posted with the two "parts" bags containing pistons, was it by chance the bag on the right which is the part number I was looking for? If this is so, I was unaware of it as no one specified which bag held which parts. I recognize the bag on the left as the 1-2, 3-4 pistons, don't recognize the bag on the right which has a plastic piston in it. Is this it?!! :crazy:

sorry, i missed the part on it being for the forward piston, although i'll have to check i believe they are interchangable. i'll see if i can get a direct part number for ya... :thumbs:

NovaNet.

when you put the shift kit and Converter in, did anyone change the RPM at which the converter locks up when at WOT? For instance, I can lock mine at WOT at 5krpm and it does not drop in RPM but seems to pause there just a second and gives me a few MPH gain ( from leaving it unlocked always.) IF I lock it up at around 4k rpm, the rpms drop to around 3600 and then climb again and I only get about 1mph gain. The truck is still accelerating, but the RPMs go from 300rpm of slip to locked ( less than 1rpm slip.)

Could this be what you are describing? If you guys already know what is causing the issue, sorry to be late with a response.

Good luck.

As it turns out...

The tranny shop overfilled the tranny by almost a full quart. Seems they used the factory spec 12 quarts of fluid to refill , but didn't take into account the smaller volume of the new Yank TT3000 converter. Took it back, they were red-faced but honest about it and removed the excess fluid and checked evrything. It's all good. BTW, the "whine" I've been hearing is probably normal. I've had more than a few people with TC's tell me it is a result of the new TC and the tranny shop is agreeing with them on that assesment, so I'm not too concerned. Anyway, it seems to have lessened in volume by approx. half after 2 days of driving so things are probably just settling in. I also spoke to Allen Nelson about the 3rd gear wierdness and he attributes this to the TC locking up in third gear. He states that it is often a better option to set the TC to not lock up in third so as to squeeze a few extra mph out of the higher power band. This will be addressed in my next tune.

Now onto another topic, perhaps a "hot" one. After speaking with Nelson about my new tune for the TC and shift kit, he has informed me that the higher RPM stall converters signifigantly lessen the firmness of the shifts, and it has been his and other experienced tuners practice to bump the line pressure a bit more, sometimes even more than a performance tune for vehicles with stock converters. When I broached the subject raising concern about using my earlier "93 octane tune" w/increased line pressure after installing my new TC and shift kit, not only did he say not to worry about it, but that he may even raise the pressure a little bit more to compensate for the TT3000. This seems contary to a lot of opinions on here, and I wanted to mention it as a way of rounding out the discussion. Please weigh in with comments...that's what this board is all about! :cheers:

Novanet, I would ask someone like Zippy or 383dfi (Joe at JAG) There seems to be a differing of opinion. IMHO, which isn't saying much, I don't think bumping the commanded line pressure of the solenoid is a good thing. That's how you start breaking seals and other stuff. But, you can tell the tranny to use the max line pressure setting. In LS1Edit and HPTuner edit, the stock settings show that the tranny only uses max line pressure at over 500lbft of torque and that under that, which our engines are definitely not putting out that much torque, there is less than 50% of the line pressure applied during a shift. In that respect, I reset my offsets and shift line pressure to be more firm... I also had Joe put 2 washers on my springs for 1-2 and a washer on my 3-4 shift spring. Made a huge difference.

Again, this is my humble understanding... and it may be wrong. I am more trusting Keith and Ken at HPTuner than anything.

Archived