Oiled Up?

Chip

I use Mobil 1 on min. just have to remember that if you have any oil leaks Synthetic oil will leak even more. I never knew I had a leak until I switched over to Mobil 1. I think my rear main seal has a very small leak. If I let it sit for a couple days I will have a few drips on the ground and on the exhaust pipe cross-over. I hear people love RP but pricey.

Both myself and the previous owner used Mobil 1 in my truck. When I did my cam swap and pulled my valve covers, they were as clean as new. The whole top end looked like new actually. This is with 130k on it. I ran RP for an oil change but couldn't justify the price on it. Do yourself a favor though don't use fram filters. Go with a Mobile 1, Wix, Napa Gold, or K&N.

...don't use fram filters. Go with a Mobile 1, Wix, Napa Gold, or K&N.

:withstupid::withstupid::withstupid:

The single most important decision is the filter you use; second is the brand of oil. I've explained in detail in posts past (filtration media + proper anti-drainback). I have used Mobile-1 5W-30 and 0W-30 (winter) for 90K-miles combined with the Mobil-1 filter changed every 4200-miles, the engine is still like factory in that it's totally noise free, doesn't fry/color the oil, still hits 80-psi pressure at 5000-RPM, and doesn't burn a drop.

Even with the best oil, the Fram filter will *kill* your motor, in time.

Mr. P. :)

PS - hint on the Mobil-1 filters, use the "corvette" filter - it's half again taller than the "truck" filter and priced the same, I want to say (from memory) its part number is M1-209??

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

Both myself and the previous owner used Mobil 1 in my truck. When I did my cam swap and pulled my valve covers, they were as clean as new. The whole top end looked like new actually. This is with 130k on it. I ran RP for an oil change but couldn't justify the price on it. Do yourself a favor though don't use fram filters. Go with a Mobile 1, Wix, Napa Gold, or K&N.

Sounds like mobil 1 probably go with mobil 1 and a ac delco filter thanks.

Mr. P. smile.gif

PS - hint on the Mobil-1 filters, use the "corvette" filter - it's half again taller than the "truck" filter and priced the same, I want to say (from memory) its part number is M1-209??

I believe that is the filter I put on mine too.

M1-206 no? Reason I say that is the K&N filter HP2006 cross references to that filter and the HP2006 is the "tall" optional filter for the trucks.

Personally I have 3 types of filters sitting on my shelf. Depends on which one I grab...

1. Amsoil Absolute Efficiency

2. K&N

3. Mobile-1

Other than greater oil capacity what do i gain by a taller oil filter i crossed the mobil 1 filter into a delco part # and the taller delco is cheeper?????

taller filter = more filter media = better filtering .. I like purolator and AC delco filters myself

taller filter = more filter media = better filtering .. I like purolator and AC delco filters myself

:withstupid:

Because the filtration is spread across a larger area there is less pressure drop; or, you can use a tighter/denser filtration material and still be within an acceptable amount of pressure drop.

Amsoil. The end.

+1.

I dont like MOBIL1 ,The trans am i had always used 1-1.5qts between oil changes then i switched to RP, never used another drop. But its like everything else, just cuase some have a bad experience with something doesnt mean that the product is no good. Like said befor its all about personal preference.