Oil filter change (crap)

SSmoothSilSS

Changed my oil this weekend and when you take the filter off the oil fills up the brace underneath it with oil. :fume: Also make sure you have you oil pan back far enough to catch the oil when it comes out, its like cow pissing :crazy:

Changed my oil this weekend and when you take the filter off the oil fills up the brace underneath it with oil. :fume: Also make sure you have you oil pan back far enough to catch the oil when it comes out, its like cow pissing :crazy:

Dumb location to put the filter, huh? Maybe it's time for a filter relocation system?

Placing a folded shop rag on the crossmember to redirect the oil to the pan works for me.

However,

Stab 1 or 2 holes into the oil filter first, its makes thing less messy when you go to take the filter off  :D

sounds better.

:lol: I did the same thing when I did my first one! It over shot my pan by a couple feet!

If you think spilling oil on the SS is bad, try doing it on a 00' Durango with skid plates. That really sucks.

My local 10 minute oil change shop told me that they take the new filter box, tear out three corners so it will flatten out and fold a slight crease in it to make a diverter or sort of a funnel to direct the oil over the crossmember. My crossmember is perfectly clean, so I guess they have always done that. I haven't changed the oil in the SS myself yet, I never may. Looks like I'm gonna get by with 1 oil change a year running Mobil 1 and only driving 4000 miles a year anyway! Just another way around the dumbass design! :cheers:

Placing a folded shop rag on the crossmember to redirect the oil to the pan works for me.

:withstupid:

I dont even fold it-just cover everything I dont want to get oily.

I then wipe off my torsionbars with this lighttly oiled rags and it looks new, kind of :wtf:

This thread is funny because I just changed my oil and ended up with a big @$$ puddle of oil on my driveway because it shot out like a male virgin having his first encounter. :flag: Now I know!

I also place a rag on the cross member to prevent oil on it.

Late- Alex

Archived