Dynatech Headers

Silverad0 SS

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im running the OBX's, not had any issues with them. I do wish i would of sent them out for coating tho. I've talked to people that have had both and all say that for the price the OBX's are made from a better quality steel, welds are better and a lot cheaper. I like mine but its up to you, mine cost $329 shipped to the door vs $1000+. With the money you save you can get additional mods. BTW use the factory exhaust manifolds and you dont have to worry about leaks.

If it were me and you want to make sure you get TOP quality headers I would go with American Racing Headers. The Dynatech's are nice, and for a long time they were the best option out there... That being said, the OBX headers are the same design as the old Dynatech's, so I would have a hard time shelling out the dough for theDynatech at this point. If I weren't buying ARH I would most likely go with the OBX headers. BTW the link shown in the second post will not fit our trucks, that Y-pipe is for a 4.8/5.3, the OBX headers for the 6.0 are around $500 unless I missed something.

I don't currently have a set of headers on my truck, but I have seen plenty of all 3 brands in person, and I have read a lot of first hand reviews for all of them. The ARH have a few specific advantages that should yield you more power over the other 2. The biggest difference is in the collector, ARH uses a 3" merge collector with a scavenger spike, the others are a 2.5" collector. I attached a link to a picture of the "spike" below.

http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/tech/hppp_0902_2005_pontiac_gto_header_install/photo_04.html

I have also read some horror stories of the OBX headers not fitting properly. For the most part people are thrilled with them, but every now and then someone seems to get a set that are off just enough to cause some serious headaches during the install. I can't say I have heard any stories like this about the Dynatech's. That being said, all the OBX headers I have personally seen have gone on very easily and fit great, the negative reviews are stories that I have read.

This is a great thread about the OBX headers. A LOT of guys have chimed in, and it should help you make your own decision on them.

http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=450962

I don't think anyone here can argue that the ARH system is not the best bolt on LT header system for our trucks on the market right now. They will cost you close to what you would have spent on the dynatech headers, and I can almost guarantee you will get more HP out of them.

My truck is canadian. But anyway, I am gonna try the chinese ss headers. even if i get 1 year out of them. They are cheap enough for me. I really dont have the $1200 right now. :laugh:

Chinease crap. Spend some coin and get the real Dynatech Supermaxx Headers or ARH Headers. Like stated, you pay for what you get. And chinease materials on your truck, you kidding me? :banghead: I guess we are all becoming ricers.....

Those ebay headers are a decent header but like fireman says you get what you pay for. The ebay headers are OBX knock offs and OBX headers are copies of the old dynatechs like the once pictured in the link posted the difference between the new dynatechs and old dynatechs is that primary that loops up, the only issue with that is Im pretty sure you have to either extend that plug wire or make something to hold it away from that primary. As far as leaks if you install the headers correctley and tighten them down in the right sequence you shouldnt have any leaks at the heads anyways as long as you use good gaskets OEM gaskets are best.I run the coated pacesetter headers with OEM gaskets and have no leak at the heads. The more common place to have leaks is in the exhaust it self. I had one set up on my old regular silverado where I used band clamps on all the connections and that wasnt to bad I didnt really have any leaks. But when I did the exhaust set up on my SS which also has the coated pacesetters I had a custom exhaust made after the headers and I used V band clamps and its perfect no leaks at all. And as far as coating will go if you have a bare steel header and you drive in the winter they will rust right away. Stainless wont usually rust but like people said it will pit and surface rust and discolor it will also depend on the grade of stainless used in the header how they will hold up, I think th dynatechs are a little bit higher grade stainless than the ebay headers. If money isnt an issue I would spend the extra money to get a good set of headers like dynatechs, stainless works, or American racing headers. The perfect example of you get what you pay for is Ive owned 2 sets of pacesetter coated longtubes and both sets have just barley hit the frame on the passenger side the only reason I got them a second time was cause they were cheap and they were coated, but in the spring I plan on getting a set of dynatechs to replace the pacesetters just because I cant stand the rattle from the header hitting the frame. I say if money isnt an issue spend the money and get a good set of headers and never look back.

To give you a heads up I order dynatechs a couple months ago and I just put them on..... driver side is real tight. Passenger side caught the frame, cab, and starter....needless to say I ended up cutting two primaries and moving them to differentt locations..... it been easier for me to buy a flange and pipe and make my own longtubes.

To give you a heads up I order dynatechs a couple months ago and I just put them on..... driver side is real tight. Passenger side caught the frame, cab, and starter....needless to say I ended up cutting two primaries and moving them to differentt locations..... it been easier for me to buy a flange and pipe and make my own longtubes.

I had no cleareance issues with my China stuff.

I did the Dynatechs in my garage with mostly hand tools. The reason I went with Dynatech is that they are a high quality kit, and a true bolt on.

No fabbing pipes to fit, and not too bad of an install. I do suggest if doing it yourself that you lower or loosen your cat-back to clear room for the midpipes during installation.

and, for the record, I went with ceramic coating to keep myself from having to replace them in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Im running the OBX's, not had any issues with them. I do wish i would of sent them out for coating tho. I've talked to people that have had both and all say that for the price the OBX's are made from a better quality steel, welds are better and a lot cheaper. I like mine but its up to you, mine cost $329 shipped to the door vs $1000+. With the money you save you can get additional mods. BTW use the factory exhaust manifolds and you dont have to worry about leaks.

So you would agree that the statement of "you get what you pay for" is entirely wrong???

Like I said,you guys knocking the Chinese stuff have probably never used it.

Also new flash because some of you apparently dont know why its called STAINELSS STEEL IS BECAUSE IT DOESNT RUST.

Getting SS headers coated for 'rust protection" is like wearing a rain coat and carrying an umbrella in your house on a rainy day so you dont get wet.

And ill bet you boys that have said "I got mine coated" didnt even cough up the $800+ to get the good stuff.Tell me how that cheap coating holds up after 5 years.

Edited by broke1 (see edit history)

broke1, I merely stated my thoughts and opinions on the topic, which I am entitled to just like anyone else. If you have a problem with that, PM me so we can discuss it like gentlemen........

Ill quote you so theres no misunderstanding here ,you said "SS headers not needing coated is a myth" You are staing that as a FACT by saying that SS headers need to be coated when they most certainily DO NOT.There are alot more people with non coated SS headers than people with coated SS headers,THATS A FACT!!

Bare SS does not "pit" and it certainily doesnt bleed off heat quicly either.WTH are you getting this bad information???Seriously,whatever "internet guru" told you that shit needs to stop spreading bad info.

Only thing true in your mostly wrong statement is that it does indeed turn bluish after time but thats it.

Just admit that you tryed to come off like you knew what you were talking about and got told by someone who wasnt stupid enough to buy what you were selling.Some one who see your high post count and think you might actually know what your talking about and waste precious money on somthing they need about as much as a TB spacer.

Ill tell you whats certainly not a myth,PEOPLE WITH HIGH INTERNET POST COUNTS USUALLY ARE TALKING OUT OF THERE ASS!!

Sorry to call you out fireman,I am certain you are just repeating what you have seen others post.....

And as far as buying in the USA,id be glad too if companys werent so damn GREEDY.It costs less than $400 to make a set of SS long tubes and to ask what they do,they deserve to lose the business.How do I know how much it costs??I have had headers made before in small runs for Buicks,and those are SMALL runs of 10 sets or less.Not MANY sets like the Dynatechs or others.

Plus,in case most of you werent aware,its AMERICAN COMPANYS SELLING 99.9% of the CHINA headers so Americans are indeed making $ and Uncle Sam is getting his tax revenue.Shame on yall for being so closed mind and prejudiced.Can we go linch a negro next???My apologies to any black men,I certainily meant nothing bad,just trying to show why being prejudice against anyone is dumb as ****.

Also,my LPP headers are a Pacesetter knock off except in SS and they have 3" collectors,not 2.5".

Edited by broke1 (see edit history)

Ill quote you so theres no misunderstanding here ,you said "SS headers not needing coated is a myth" You are staing that as a FACT by saying that SS headers need to be coated when they most certainily DO NOT.There are alot more people with non coated SS headers than people with coated SS headers,THATS A FACT!!

Bare SS does not "pit" and it certainily doesnt bleed off heat quicly either.WTH are you getting this bad information???Seriously,whatever "internet guru" told you that shit needs to stop spreading bad info.

Only thing true in your mostly wrong statement is that it does indeed turn bluish after time but thats it.

Just admit that you tryed to come off like you knew what you were talking about and got told by someone who wasnt stupid enough to buy what you were selling.Some one who see your high post count and think you might actually know what your talking about and waste precious money on somthing they need about as much as a TB spacer.

Ill tell you whats certainly not a myth,PEOPLE WITH HIGH INTERNET POST COUNTS USUALLY ARE TALKING OUT OF THERE ASS!!

Sorry to call you out fireman,I am certain you are just repeating what you have seen others post.....

And as far as buying in the USA,id be glad too if companys werent so damn GREEDY.It costs less than $400 to make a set of SS long tubes and to ask what they do,they deserve to lose the business.How do I know how much it costs??I have had headers made before in small runs for Buicks,and those are SMALL runs of 10 sets or less.Not MANY sets like the Dynatechs or others.

Plus,in case most of you werent aware,its AMERICAN COMPANYS SELLING 99.9% of the CHINA headers so Americans are indeed making $ and Uncle Sam is getting his tax revenue.Shame on yall for being so closed mind and prejudiced.Can we go linch a negro next???My apologies to any black men,I certainily meant nothing bad,just trying to show why being prejudice against anyone is dumb as ****.

Also,my LPP headers are a Pacesetter knock off except in SS and they have 3" collectors,not 2.5".

What didn't you understand by my post? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM, WHICH OBVIOUSLY YOU DO, PM ME SO WE CAN DISCUSS IT LIKE MEN. Instead you continue acting like a tough guy calling out everyone who decides to post their OPINION in this thread, that's right, OPINION, which I will repeat myself again and remind you that I am entitled to my OPINION just like anyone else here. I forgot that you are the ultimate authority on modding vehicles, that you have spent millions and know everything, and the rest of us are just a bunch dopes know absolutely nothing. You do not know me, know what I have done over the years, or know what I know......

I am done with this thread.........