Yank tt 2600 and Superior shift kit are in

Well on the way to the track tonight doing only about 85mph in overdrive the temps got up to 225* when I took it out of overdrive and brought the rpms up to about 3500 the temp dropped down to about 210. It seems to run the hotest when I am on the highway. I also got a couple codes on the way to the track;

P0420---"Cat efficiency below threshold"? I guess maybe because I gutted the cats on Wednesday??

P0894---"Transmission comp slipping" maybe because the stall coverter??

Also I didn't pick up any time at the track, and I lost about 3 mph. Ran 2 14.9's at 89 with 2.34 60's I thought I would have been down to 2.0 60' times.

I still have that unknown noise on the driverside, I was running Butch (AWDGMC) on my first run and he said he could hear it from inside his truck while he was racing me. On our second run, I drove his truck and he drove mine, he's stump on what the noise is to. We still think (hope) that it might be a bad coil so I am going to switch all four from the drivers side to the passenger side and vise versa. I am hoping the noise goes to the passenger side so I can just get some new coils and go on to the next problem. lol

Bill-03-SD

did you turn off your rear O2s with a new tune?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, we can rule out a bad coil for my noise problem, I switch the drivers side coils with the passenger side coils. The noise is still there on the driverside.

Butch, you drove it and heard the noise, whats next, any ideas of where to start looking now???

Bill-03-SD

did you turn off your rear O2s  with a new tune?

Yep, they were turned off with the last tune.

Bill-03-SD

Which exact codes did you turn off?

I am not sure to be truthful, I asked Lyndon to turn off the rear o2's and he said he did.

I got another code today.. :rolleyes:

The 2 codes I got last night were;

P0420--Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

P0894--Transmission Comp. Slipping

And the new one I got today was;

P0741--Torque Converter CKT Performance or stuck off

I now have gutted converters, I did that thinking that the drivers side honeycomb might be loose making the noise I was hearing. I was wrong still have the noise.

Thought it might have been my Spark plugs, changed them three times. I was wrong still have the noise.

Thought it might have been my wires, made some custom wires, noise still there, bought a set of the Taylor wires and put them on. I was wrong still have the noise.

Last, thought it might have been a bad coil on the drivers side. Changed all the drivers side coils to the passenger side and the passenger side coils to the drivers side. I was wrong still have the noise.

Besides seeing that I am wrong a lot, I haven't figured anything else out. lol

That problem wasn't enough so I had a Yank TT2600 stall converter put in and did the shift kit. Now my transmission temp runs between 215 to 225 on the highway and that is not even towing anything.

And the worse part that bites me right in the ass is that my 60' times didn't get any better and I lost 1 tenth and 4mph in the 1/4 mile.. :fume:

And now I have a truck that I am starting to dislike.. :smash:

Bill-03-SD

[And the worse part that bites me right in the ass is that my 60' times didn't get any better and I lost 1 tenth and 4mph in the 1/4 mile.. :fume:

I would say this is probably a programing issue w/ the TQ convertor locking up at 75mph in 3rd gear. Extend this out, and it will help.

It does sound like its not locking up. That would explain the high trans temp on the freeway.

If its a fair day and I don't run the AC, my trans temps will stay under 170 for a 30 minute highway drive at 75 mph. If its hot and AC is on, my temps will creep above 180, but usually nothing higher unless I'm in traffic.

Zippy,

I for sure, 100 percent changed that. now if there is a checkball that was to be removed when the converter was changed I don't know about that.

I removed two of the steel balls when I did the shift kit, one above the plate in the case and then one in the valve body. I hope that was right.

I have an 800 mile trip I have to take today, towing the Lightning down to Jersey for the last time. :sigh: I will only be towing one way though, but it is 7000 lbs.

I am going to do the trip with my Flex-a-Light fans jumped to high, that seemed to help the other night.

Well the big thing is I hope I make it through the trip without beeing stranded somewhere like the Bronx. lol :devil: If any of you guys live there no offense meant, just not someplace I want to breack down not knowing anyone. haha

Wish me luck, and I will probably need the tranmission rebuilt when I get back.. :smash:

Bill-03-SD

Flex-a-Light fans jumped to high

Can you explain that?

Manually jumpered to turn on the fans for high speed at all times. The normal VSC will vary the fan speeds and turn them off if the engine coolant is cool.

Yep, BigTex has it right. I have a switch next to the VSC that I just flip and it puts the fans to high. I will be leaving in about 2 more hours and I hope everything works out ok.

I just got done taking a couple of pictures, These will be the last ones with me still owning my Lightning. Bringing it down to New Jersey to deliver it to the new owner. It makes me sad, :sigh: but it will work out ok in the long run. It will give me more time to spend with the family (wife and 2 year old son) on my vacations than going off to some other state to race. As much as I will miss it I know it is the right thing to do.. :cheers:

I will still be able to follow the life of the truck. I am sure the new owner will have it in "Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords" magazine every now and then. :thumbs:

Bill-03-SD

165369104rUxmJu_ph.jpg

Yep, BigTex has it right. I have a switch next to the VSC that I just flip and it puts the fans to high. I will be leaving in about 2 more hours and I hope everything works out ok.

I just got done taking a couple of pictures, These will be the last ones with me still owning my Lightning. Bringing it down to New Jersey to deliver it to the new owner. It makes me sad, :sigh: but it will work out ok in the long run. It will give me more time to spend with the family (wife and 2 year old son) on my vacations than going off to some other state to race. As much as I will miss it I know it is the right thing to do.. :cheers:

I will still be able to follow the life of the truck. I am sure the new owner will have it in "Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords" magazine every now and then. :thumbs:

Bill-03-SD

165369104rUxmJu_ph.jpg

Sorry to hear about your loss, but family is more important. You'll be happier in the long run. Good luck on your trip. :thumbs:

Archived