Motor is in!!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It runs, but I have other issues to resolve.

For one, none of my gauages appear to be working correctly. I show no, or almost no volatge, no oil pressure (what got me here), tach works, but takes a few seconds of it running to kick in. The interior lights appear to be dim, but could be just me. The radio will not play when it is supposed to, and it's like all the speakers are blown when it does. Lots of static, even if I play a CD. All the indicators in the dash are not working like they should also - my flashers look like they are on, etc, etc, etc,....

So, it'll sit there until I get the mental energy to go look at it again. Right now, my frustration is a little too high and at this point really just want to sell it - damn the loss.

If anyone has ever heard of this kind of thing, please pipe in. I checked every single fuse under the hood last night, regardless of what it did. I will do the same today, sometime, under the dash. Beyond that....who knows. Could this be the BCM?

at this point really just want to sell it - damn the loss

Sorry to hear that, buddy. I know how the frustration can just finally make someone say F*** it! I've been there....many times. Hope you find out what's wrong soon.

Man, I'm probably the last guy to listen to as far as the electrical system goes, but a couple of things struck me:

1) you blew a 30A fuse in the box

2) everything you've mention has only one common component -- the fuse box.

3) everything you've done recently has been under the hood.

I am wondering if a harness got nicked or pinched in the install, or got heated up a few months ago and cooked a connector or sensor. You said you checked all the fuses -- it might be worth the effort to open up the fuse box and give it the sniff test and visually inspect the wiring bread board. If all that is good, maybe check the connections on the harness in the engine bay.

Oh... What about the fuel pump wiring?

And don't sweat the frustration. At least you didn't get "motivated" by the frustration and start breaking bolts :thumbs:

It was a 40A fuse. I'll pull the fuse block up and look underneath. None of the harnesses got pinched or nicked. I laid that motor in there about a half inch at a time to make sure that didn't happen. It took over an hour just to lower and align.

The fuel pumps are working great, nearest I can tell. I hear them whine and engine is not stalling or anything.

Gauges are operated by the PCM, if you can blow an 40AMP fuse, there was an serious shortcut, this shortcut may have damaged the PCM :nonod:

Do you have a spare PCM to test?

People who work a lot make mistakes, people who work less make some mistakes,

i know people that don't make mistakes......

:thumbs:

Well, it appears to be a definite ground problem. At least that's the way it looks by what it does.

With the key in the acc position the radio was very staticy like I posted before. I let it stay on and started messing with things. Nothing to tie it to, but now the static is gone and the radio works fine, in acc position. Once you start it, it goes back to static.

I have regrounded everything that had one by taking off the straps and sanding the both surfaces. I guess the next step is start grounding stuff that didn't have one. I'm pretty much lost after that.

The Brickyard 400 is on now, so it will all have to wait.

Archived