• Last Reply

try some of this:

Starter Solenoid Does Not Click

Step

Action

Yes

No

Schematic Reference: Starting and Charging Schematics

Did you preform the Engine Electrical Diagnostic System Check?

Go to Step 2

Go to Diagnostic System Check - Engine Electrical

Turn the ignition switch to the START position.

Does the engine crank?

Go to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections in Wiring Systems

Go to Step 3

Turn the ignition switch to the START position.

Does the starter motor relay click?

Go to Step 14

Go to Step 4

Is the vehicle equipped with a manual transmission?

Go to Step 5

Go to Step 7

Install a scan tool.

Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

With a scan tool, observe the Clutch Start Switch Signal parameter in the PCM data list while depressing the clutch pedal.

Does the scan tool display Released/Applied?

Go to Step 7

Go to Step 6

Turn OFF the ignition.

Disconnect the powertrain control module (PCM) harness connector.

Connect a test lamp between the clutch start switch signal of the PCM harness and a good ground.

Turn the ignition to the START position while depressing the clutch pedal.

Does the test lamp illuminate?

Go to Step 10

Go to Step 11

Turn OFF the ignition.

Disconnect the powertrain control module (PCM) harness connector.

Connect a test lamp between the Crank Voltage circuitl of the PCM harness and a good ground.

With the transmission in park, or clutch pedal depressed, turn the ignition switch to the START position.

Does the test light illuminate?

Go to Step 10

Go to Step 8

Inspect for poor connections at the PCM connector, Underhood Fuse Block or ignition switch harness connector. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 32

Go to Step 9

Test the supply voltage circuit of the crank voltage circuit and Crank fuse for an open or high resistance. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 32

Go to Step 30

Turn OFF the ignition.

Disconnect the PCM harness connector.

Connect a test lamp between the starter enable relay control circuit of the PCM harness and a good ground.

Turn the ignition to the START position.

Go to Step 22

Go to Step 11

Remove the starter motor relay.

Connect a test light from the supply voltage circuit of the starter motor relay coil circuit to ground.

With the transmission in park, or clutch pedal depressed, turn the ignition switch to the START position.

Go to Step 12

Go to Step 13

Connect a test light from the supply voltage circuit of the starter motor relay coil circuit to the control circuit of the starter motor relay coil circuit.

Go to Step 20

Go to Step 17

Turn OFF the ignition.

Disconnect the park neutral position (PNP) switch. Refer to Park/Neutral Position Switch Replacement in Automatic Transmission - 4L60-E/4L65-E, Park/Neutral Position Switch Replacement in Automatic Transmission - 4L80-E/4L85-E, Park/Neutral Position Switch Replacement in Automatic Transmission - Allison, or Clutch Start Switch Replacement in Clutch.

Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

Connect a 10-amp fused jumper between the starter motor relay coil control circuits of the PNP switch or clutch pedal position switch.

With the transmission in PARK, or clutch pedal depressed, turn the ignition switch to the START position.

Go to Step 21

Go to Step 18

Turn OFF the ignition.

Disconnect the starter motor relay.

Connect a test lamp between the battery positive voltage circuit of the starter motor relay switch circuit and a good ground.

Go to Step 15

Go to Step 26

Connect a 30-amp fused jumper between the battery positive voltage circuit of the starter motor relay switch circuit and the supply voltage circuit of the starter solenoid.

Does the engine crank?

Go to Step 20

Go to Step 16

Does the fuse in the jumper open?

Go to Step 27

Go to Step 19

Test the control circuit of the starter motor relay for an open or high resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 32

Go to Step 28

Test the supply voltage circuit of the starter motor relay coil circuit for an open or high resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 32

Go to Step 24

Test the supply voltage circuit of the starter solenoid for an open or high resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 32

Go to Step 25

Inspect for poor connections at the starter motor relay. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 32

Go to Step 28

If equipped with an automatic transmission, inspect for poor connection at the PNP switch harness connector. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems. If OK, perform the Park/Neutral Position Switch Adjustment in Automatic Transmission - 4L60-E/4L65-E, Park/Neutral Position Switch Adjustment in Automatic Transmission - 4L80-E/4L85-E, or Park/Neutral Position Switch Adjustment in Automatic Transmission - Allison.

If equipped with a manual transmission, inspect for poor connection at the clutch pedal position switch harness connector. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 32

Go to Step 29

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the PCM. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 32

Go to Step 23

Important

The replacement PCM must be programmed.

Replace the PCM/engine control module (ECM). Refer to Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Replacement in Engine Controls - 4.3L, Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Replacement in Engine Controls - 4.8L, 5.3L, and 6.0L, Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Replacement in Engine Controls - 8.1L, or Engine Control Module (ECM) Replacement in Engine Controls - 6.6L.

Is action complete?

Go to Step 32

--

Inspect for poor connections at the ignition switch harness connector. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 32

Go to Step 30

Inspect for poor connections at the starter solenoid. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 32

Go to Step 31

Repair the open or high resistance in the battery positive voltage circuit of the Starter Motor relay switch circuit. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you complete the repair?

Go to Step 32

--

Repair the short to ground in the supply voltage circuit of the starter solenoid. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you complete the repair?

Go to Step 32

--

Replace the Starter Relay. Refer to Relay Replacement in Wiring Systems.

Did you complete the replacement?

Go to Step 32

--

Replace the PNP switch. Refer to Park/Neutral Position Switch Replacement in Automatic Transmission - 4L60-E/4L65-E, Park/Neutral Position Switch Replacement in Automatic Transmission - 4L80-E/4L85-E, or Park/Neutral Position Switch Replacement in Automatic Transmission - Allison.

Replace the clutch pedal position switch. Refer to Clutch Start Switch Replacement in Clutch.

Go to Step 32

--

Replace the ignition switch. Refer to Ignition Switch Replacement in Steering Wheel and Column.

Go to Step 32

--

Replace the starter. Refer to Starter Motor Replacement .

Go to Step 32

--

Operate the system for which the symptom occurred.

Did you correct the condition?

System OK

Go to Step 2

Zippy, do you have access to ground locations? I have "some" schematics that show where everything ties to a ground, but more interested in the 3-4 of them that go from the engine to wherever.

It does start and run, just something going on weird with power. The main thing is no gages - which I won't run the engine for too long at all when I don't even know if I have oil pressure.

Thanks, Zippy.

That does appear to be the one I need.

Since all of those functions don't appear to be working normal.

Can you send that file to me email to print off?

Any more?

Ben,

I wish you luck my man. Not to say you haven't checked it, but when I was getting my dyno tune in Syracuse, I had my PCM in and out several times, and when it was loosely tighened up to the ground, the cluster was in and our and I had all sorts of electrical problems. I'm sure at this point you checked it, but the PCM not being grounded caused havoc in my truck.

Good Luck pal. :flag:

I think my problems are figured out. It was misplacing one ground and not placing another.

Thanks to Cody for the pics and Zippy for the schematics. Hopefully, after I get those fixed, my problems will be gone.

Well, good news and bad news.

Good news - got my grounding issues all worked out and the motor runs just fine. Got some tuning issues, but that's to be somewhat expected.

Bad news - tranny issue. It needs to come out. Leaking fluid. Don't know when it will get done, not in any kind of hurry either. Could be this week, maybe next, or next.

I just need a break.

Hey Ben,

My Grandfather spent part of his life as a mechanic, both for GM and as an independent. He taught me a few things about working on cars that I have found in valuable.

First, your hammer is always too small. Get a bigger one.

Second, a liberal application of Norweigan magic words lubricates any work you are doing on the car. Norweigian magic words? My favorite one starts with an 'F' and ends with 'uck'.

Third, if rule two fails, see rule 1.

Sorry to hear you're having more troubles!!

Good to hear Ben.

Fill er up and take her for a nice shake down ride :cool: to Mobile,,,about 60 miles. I'll meet you at Copelands on Airport Blvd for a steak and a soda :cheers: .If you have any trouble :cry: you can park her at my house and I'll give you a ride home. :D

(now where's that E-Bay account listed) LOL

Wonder if RollinSSHard is interested in a fresh 408 ;)

Good Luck,WP

Archived