This is from our Halry Forum

12SecFORDHD

My 2 cents. I traded in a reg. cab, 5.3, 3.73 gears, sportside silverado on my SS. It has been posted that the reg. cab 5.3 runs 14.8 to 15.0 at some tracks. This is probably true, but I can tell you from driving BOTH trucks the SS SURE SEEMS to be quicker than the 5.3. My 5.3 was stock, no mods and a pretty quick truck, but it is hard to believe it is faster than the SS. :D

My 2 cents again :D

On the question if the SS is an SS? It has at least 6 SS badges on the interior and exterior. GM says it is an SS so shouldn't this case be CLOSED? :thumbs:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Johnson... I'm not trying to piss you off.... I think the trucks are nice, but they didn't need to put an SS logo on it... Save that for a Full-on Balls-out Truck... Stick an RS or something on it... I just fear that the nameplate is getting watered down.. Or hell do what Ford did and find some other Name to stick on it if its only gonna be 2nd fastest...

-Joe

i think you're missing my point. it is'nt going to get any better than this, sure they might bump up the ponies in years to come, but it'll never be as fast as the lighting, this is there full-on balls-out truck. the last of the great super sports are gone with gm calling it quits with the camaro. this is what it has come to and this is what gm calls a super sport. there will never be a 450 horsepower chevelle again, there will never be a 409 impala again, there will never be a 390 horsepower camaro again, but there is a 345 horsepower, awd, super sport truck and this is what super sport means in the new generation, we have to accept it,there not going to change it and i don't see a big problem with calling it a ss compared to the other super sports, monte carlo and impala. you can't bring back the past you can only look to the future.

lets just make this simple and sweet. I just blew the doors off a harley ford in my new SS!!!!How, you harley fans ask...... I had the mother of all co-pilots, Mother nature on my side.. Add some snow to the equation and you guys stand still like a dragster that just blew his parachute at the starting line HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

lets just make this simple and sweet. I just blew the doors off a harley ford in my new SS!!!!How, you harley fans ask...... I had the mother of all co-pilots, Mother nature on my side.. Add some snow to the equation and you guys stand still like a dragster that just blew his parachute at the starting line HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

:thumbs::chevy:

Ok here ya go. I openly issue a formal call out for 1 Silverado SS in total stock form to race me in my totally stock HD F150! My truck is 2002 and has 3800 miles on it. I live in N.Florida and will travel within reason to drag race or top end race a Silverado SS in stock form.....any takers?....

BTW i am posting this on the NHTOC board as well....i'm sure we can get a few "witnesses" ......hehehehe :thumbs:

FEPONY:

I'm sure there are many SS owners in Canada with a foot of snow that would be delighted to take you on. :D Head on up there and tell us how you did. We will expect you and your harley back at Christmas to give us your verdict as harleys and snow make for slow traveling :lol:

i think you're missing my point. it is'nt going to get any better than this, sure they might bump up the ponies in years to come, but it'll never be as fast as the lighting, this is there full-on balls-out truck. the last of the great super sports are gone with gm calling it quits with the camaro. this is what it has come to and this is what gm calls a super sport.

I think I said that when i said the Nameplate (SS) is watered down now, and will never mean what it did... Strike one up to Brand Identification... Lillies should come standard....

-Joe

I think I said that when i said the Nameplate (SS) is watered down now, and will never mean what it did... Strike one up to Brand Identification... Lillies should come standard....

-Joe

i'm also saying that,but what can we do about it, nothing. i love my truck. :chevy:

Let's see how many races we can get in the areas of the country with snow and how many in the dry areas and then tally up the wins and see who wins the tally. I am sure we could set something up between this site and the Harley site, it would be like a shoot out nation wide. What do you guys think? It could be pretty fun and in good nature.

You guys are like the press at the whitehouse, getting stuck on issues of little importance. (i'll preface this by saying i just had a huge fight with a family member)

BlueSSS shut-up about this rain racing, congrats you found an idiot who would run you in the snow... I grew up in MI and i have always felt speed and snow combinations should be left to snow mobiles, not road racing, Accidents are caused by what you did.... The fact that anyone feels the need to race in such conditions as a means to justify their purchase is assinine... Justify it with comfort and its peppiness, not the fact that in poor handling conditions you can tool on other morons and make others unsafe at the same time... Go ahead and have fun in the snow, but boasting about propelling a 5000 pound oject down roads that cause other trucks to spin tires and not have control is not an act of winning, its an act of homicide, do you know what that truck would do to a poor car that might have slid into the roadway at the time you were on the pedal? I wouldn't want to have to explain that to the family of the person i injured, nor the court....I am not saying this as a statement against you, or your character, simply throwing my thoughts into the ring on this... I think it is great you have a truck capable of making it through a soggy or slippery day, but don't brag to me about abusing that ability....

-Joe

I have a set of Expedition wheels and tires for wintertime with the L. With them, nothing short of stupid will cause me problems (like trying to floor it).

As for racing in adverse weather.......... why would anyone in their right mind do that???? I have done alot of driving in 4wd's (AWD's) in serious snow storms. I drive slowly and carefully. I have been passed on numerous occassions by other 4wd/AWD vehicles going insane speeds. A few miles down the road they are out in the middle of the desert....... having spun out....... and sometimes taking others with them. You have to respect the conditions no matter what you drive. The ice doesn't care if 1 wheel is driven...... 2.....4......or 6........... you will still spin.

The sad fact of the matter is that having AWD or 4wd makes people take chances they normally wouldn't take. I think that every year, people who live in snow country should have to drive a lowered mini truck (RWD only) running huge rear car tires in a blizzard. Then they will learn how to respect the conditions again.

Sorry for the rant, but we used to tow for a living. Most people have way too high of an opinion of their driving ability. :nono:

Archived