hurricane is comming,,,,

ted gerlach

Update - Tuesday 1614 hrs.

I must say that we (our town) got extremely lucky. We had minimal Wind damage, trees and wires down. Rain was not an issue at all. Power outages were localized to less then 100 customers.

There was some major wind damage up in the mountains, but that was to be expected.

My house did not sustain any damage or power outages. The family was safe all night. Only bad thing was getting cut loose at 3am and tying to go home and fall asleep.

All our emergency OT / Planning has been canceled. We are back to normal operating procedures.

Wasn't a bad night for me. I sat at a Road Closure for most of my shift, in my cruiser. I had a cooler with water, snacks and fruit. I also had my MDT (mobile data terminal) up and running with Internet. Then I streamed a bunch of Breaking Bad episodes, from netflix, onto my phone ...But hey, I kept my Road Closed ... :thumbs:

@ Mark ... I'm glad your family is safe. Sadly, the house is a loss, but they are ok.

We got some messed up snow for about 4hrs here along with high winds. I got a call from my buddy at 10pm on the 29th that his 48' boat house on the lake was about to let loose and he needed help. I sped 20min to the marina and came face with waves hitting the coast line with around 10-14' walls of waves. He and two other guys were trying to get the boat tied down already which only had 2 lines on out of the 8. After 45min we got it reeled back in and tied back down. Then the crazy a$$ decides to stay on the boat for the night. Hope everyone and their families made it through the storm ok.

It's an absolute war zone here on Long Island! Massive fires, huge floods, thousands of trees and wires down, 1 million electric customers without power, and 55 people dead and dozens still missing so far. Our barrier islands on the South Shore are almost gone, lower Manhattan flooded including the World Trade Center construction site, NYC subways are flooded, the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel is flooded, 80 houses in Breezy Point Queens burned to the ground, and LaGuardia Airport is under about 4 feet of water. We sustained gusts over 100mph during the height of the storm. Long Island and NYC have already been declared Federal disaster areas.

I don't have any pictures to post, this is the first real break I have had since Sunday night, as I have been working almost non stop, not for the FD I volunteer with, but for my job as a Fire Marshal. Trying to amass the building damage from fires, trees, and wind, public safety hazards from downed power lines and fallen trees, staffing our OEM command center, along with surmounting our normal everyday responsibilities in our 104 square mile territory has not been and will not continue be an easy task.

:freak:

It's an absolute war zone here on Long Island! Massive fires, huge floods, thousands of trees and wires down, 1 million electric customers without power, and 55 people dead and dozens still missing so far. Our barrier islands on the South Shore are almost gone, lower Manhattan flooded including the World Trade Center construction site, NYC subways are flooded, the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel is flooded, 80 houses in Breezy Point Queens burned to the ground, and LaGuardia Airport is under about 4 feet of water. We sustained gusts over 100mph during the height of the storm. Long Island and NYC have already been declared Federal disaster areas.

I don't have any pictures to post, this is the first real break I have had since Sunday night, as I have been working almost non stop, not for the FD I volunteer with, but for my job as a Fire Marshal. Trying to amass the building damage from fires, trees, and wind, public safety hazards from downed power lines and fallen trees, staffing our OEM command center, along with surmounting our normal everyday responsibilities in our 104 square mile territory has not been and will not continue be an easy task.

:freak:

My heart felt prayers to all that are dealing with the aftermath !!!

God Speed !!!

Lost some siding, shingles and about 6 large trees. Power just came back this morning however went out again. Broke out the kerosine heaters and been cooking on the grill the past few days. I work in NJ and CANNOT believe the lines at the gas stations (that are open). No kidding, they are 300 cars deep. I know of several stations in PA with no lines if anyone in NJ needs a sure bet on fuel...just PM me and I can give you the address.

Never lost power in the 85mph wind sustained gusts. Very interesting to hear how hard the wind was hitting the side of the house, but luckily the trees surrounding the property blocked a lot or southwestern wind. Not one tree down, however the rest of my town was out of power.

Lets just hope this Nor'Easter weakens so the people in NJ, Long Island etc dont face anymore problems.

edit- I was in MA for the storm, but now in a different location in Maine. It looks like nothing happened up here, havent seen any damage throughout Maine.

Edited by 03mass (see edit history)