Looking at getting my first hand gun

Blick05SS

Had my Springfield 1911 that I bought at Bragg over 28 years ago as my only handgun. Recently purchased a new Springfield Loaded, and shot perfect right out the box. Then I picked up a Berretta 92A1 and M&P Shield to save money on ammo, but if you can't find 9mm ammo, you're not saving much. Lol. Long story short, took the wife to the range with all four, and she preferred the 1911's just like me. Shoot everything you can get your hands on and THEN make your choice. I'll take my 1911 over anything out there.

^ what he said. some places will rent you guns for the range. one here even rents just about every handgun on the market, its great. you can shoot anything your even kind of interested in. this is really the only way to determine the perfect gun, for YOU. peoples advice helps, sure. but we each like a different aspect about a gun typically. also, IMO- if this is your first handgun, and you WILL be CC the gun on you often... a 1911 is not the ideal gun. i have 2 1911's, a Kimber Ultra Carry HD .45 and a totally one-off custom 1911 made by a famous gun smith (forgot the name, i never shoot it. dont yell at me :lol: ). they shoot GREAT and are awesome weapons. BUT its heavier, bulkier, and holds less ammo than the polymer pistols like Glock, Springfield, etc. i carry the Kimber (which i might add is small side of 1911 guns) and i do feel it when sitting, my shirt gets caught on it more often, things like that.

i found, for me, it was all about the perfect mix of the size and mag capacity of the gun i wanted to CC most of the time. these were the most important things to base off of for a primary/first pistol. from there on, you can buy as many of whatever you want- whether its bc it looks sweet!! or whether its a great range gun but not ideal to carry, etc :lol: so, shoot whatever you can, but IMO from being an avid shooter/gun hoarder (hehe), id start off with something along the lines of a Glock 19 or Glock 23 (first is 9mm second is .40), or a Springfield XD 9mm or .40 (XDm if you can sport the extra $100ish). these guns are ideal for a first pistol because- 1. neither have bulky safety levers (that always get flipped off when you want it on or vice versa lol) that are never in the position you want when you need it there, but have their own built-in safety mechanisms that are SAFE but wont get you killed in a dire emergency when your average person is shaking/not totally clear minded 2. are simple to operate, field strip & clean 3. affordable, with GREAT resale value 4. hold an ideal amount of ammo, but not too large to conceal with ease 5. vast amount of accessories and custom holsters available anywhere for these. those are just some reasons that come to mind. this is all from my own experiences, after simply buying what my moms brothers uncles cousins dog said i should get cause its the gun to get. :jester: it took me about 3 guns to get an everyday, primary carry i REALLY liked. i wish i wouldve done more research and shot more firearms before i made my first decision. anyways, im done rambling on :lol: hope (if you were awake long enough to read this far) this was helpful :D

John