Looking at getting my first hand gun

Blick05SS

Buy a Glock that would be my opinion. I have a g19 and love it. It is a.compact 9mm. I would recomend a 9mm just because they are so much cheaper and easier to shoot than a 40 or 45. The bigger calibers might be a bit better for.protection but not as fun to shoot a lot. I habe been very very happy with my glock.

I have several different brands and calibers. My favorite is my Sig sauer p229 in 40 caliber. Next is my H&K usp45, in 45 caliber. 1911 style are a great choice as well. Depends on him much you want to spend and what fits your hand. Ruger makes a decent semi-auto that is very reasonably priced. You can pick up a P95 in 9mm for a very reasonable price. Also you need to decide if you want a concealable size or a more comfortable and accurate gun. Springfield has a new XDs in 45 auto that is small and very cool. Of course Glock makes many good pistols, I am just not personally a Glock guy. If I were you, I'd decide my budget, hold a few, then make your choice. Last thing I would suggest is sticking with a known reputable brand. Peace of mind when using for protection and helps on resale as well. Buying guns becomes an addiction. Once u start buying them, it can get hard to stop. Good luck with your choice and let us know what you get.

Edited by MARTYW (see edit history)

As gay as it sounds if it is your first gun I would get a .22 to start with, just so you don't pick up any bad habits before going up to the more intimidating larger calibers. Also bullets are so cheap they are a blast.

You can't go wrong with a 9mm there usually priced right. But if it is for home protection only personally something like the judge would be nice. Better is better if someone is in my house I when there not supposed to be I want them dead so if I have to shoot them throu the door or wall so be it ill fix the house later. I myself have a shot gun with a sawed off barrel for home protection.

Like the title says im looking to get my first handgun for home protection and going out shooting with some friends. I'm looking for any suggestions what you guys think and or like

Being this is your first hand gun I am assuming you have little experience in hand guns and would recommend first to take a basic firearms class locally or through the NRA. Then before just buying a hand gun you should shop around and find the right one that fits comfortably and is easy to operate. Home defense, you should probably stick with a shotgun until you get more comfortable with a hand gun. But IMO a 1911 .45ACP is very imitating and will have all the knock down and range inside a house that you'll ever need. Very heavy pistol but very reliable and if you run out of bullets you can use it as a club. lol. Even if the perp is wearing body armor he wont be feeling good after. If you plan on getting a permit to carry I'd recommend somthing lighter than a 1911 such as a springfield XD series or glocks. 9mm-.40cal.

My personal opinion, as an instructor I get this question a lot, what calibre to use:

I recommend 9mm about 99% of the time. If you're a 300lb linebacker that can handle the recoil from a .45 and reacquire target acquisition as fast as I can with a 9mm then by all means, go for a bigger gun. But the fact is, it is unnecessary. 9mm has a roughly 94% mortality rate when fired three rounds into center mass. A .45 has roughly 96% mortality rate when firing 3 rounds center mass. Now, take into consideration the ease of use, lack of recoil and staying on target where every millisecond counts, a 9mm wins hands down. Now, I know there are die hard bigger-is-better fans out there, and they're not entirely wrong, I am just of the opinion that it's much more efficient to use a smaller calibre that is every bit as effective.

Now, all that being said, when you're purchasing a hand gun for defense you want three things: Simple, Reliable, Effective. A Glock or S&W M&P are about as simple as they come. You take them out of the box and they are battle ready. Once that system is out of the holster you have no safety to fumble with, and 99.99999% of the time, you will have no failures to mess with. Glocks especially are incredibly reliable and are used by over 40% of all law enforcement agencies in the USA over every other gun/manufacturer out there. There's a reason for that! I've personally stress tested my Glock 19 firing 1200 rounds without cleaning without a gun malfunction (some dud rounds but that's typical/ammunition failure)

Now, if you want to talk about pretty guns or target guns, that's something else. But if I knew that in 2 minutes an attack was incoming and laying in front of me were a very pretty 1911 on a table and a Glock in a puddle of mud, I'd snatch up that Glock, shake it off and do work ;) (Exaggerated example of course!)

So, in short, my personal opinion: Go Glock, go 9mm. (Or a M&P series)

Butch, you are more then welcome to come and shoot mine if you want to try a couple different ones out.

Thanks luke im going to a friends house next weekend and shoot some of his stuff im looking forward to the desert eagle lol