Looking at getting my first hand gun

Blick05SS

You can't go wrong with a 9mm there usually priced right. But if it is for home protection only personally something like the judge would be nice. Better is better if someone is in my house I when there not supposed to be I want them dead so if I have to shoot them throu the door or wall so be it ill fix the house later. I myself have a shot gun with a sawed off barrel for home protection.

X2 on the thought of the short barrel shotgun for home protection. Pump or semi-auto with the plug removed. That and an American Pit Bull Terrier house dog and your good to go.

And get a nice 22 for fun with targets / plinking.

Its hard to say what gun would be best for you. I have shot a few different hand guns and I went with a XD .40 subcompact for a carry gun. If I were to go shopping for another hand gun again I'd go to my local shooting range.

I'm not sure if you how many shooting ranges you have but we have a indoor one here that lets your rent guns to shoot. that would give you an idea of what your looking for and what fits you the best. our indoor range has tons of guns you can rent from ar15, shotguns, and all sorts of hand guns. I would start there. good luck there are so many different choices it makes it hard.

Edited by shawnss (see edit history)

I was in the same boat last year. Never owned a handgun and only shot a few. I had the opportunity to buy an xd subcompact .45 for a bargain and went for it. For 6 mos. it was the only pistol I had. Then I took a bear safety class and my concealed carry class and shot several different guns. Since I have been buying every gun that I could and I have to say my favorite is my S&W 39 9mm. Reliable and very user friendly. I kind of wish a 9 would have been my first. Also a thing to consider is if you do go with a .45 and you want to shoot every weekend you can buy a .22 pistol. That's what I did. Shoot like 500-1000 rounds every weekend and it only runs me about 30 bucks. Where as shooting my .45 would cost me like 150. But I do think that anyone buying a gun should take a NRA firearms class to get familiar with laws and beginner skills. It's amazing the small things a person wouldn't think of that a fire arms instructor can address to make you a better shot. Let us know what you get!

"Get rid of that sissy plated pistol, and get yourself a Glock" baby. I have a compact and two sub-compacts, and I carry and shoot them more than any other in my safe. What I like about them is interchangeability, buy a G23 compact (.40SW), buy a conversion barrel to shoot 9mm or .357GAP, a mag swap, 5 minutes and boom you are plinking away jack!!

I have to disagree with Marzyn. It's not about mortality rate. It's about stopping a man in his tracks and putting him on his ass with one shot, and with that you need a 45 or a 12 ga with 00 buckshot in the house. The ballistics are perfect for sheer manstopping force, without over penetration, something you don't want indoors. Why have to put three 9mm rounds into a stranger in the dark, when you can neutralize the bastard completely with one 45 hp? You can shoot a man with an m4, ar15 and he won't even miss a step, but that bullet will probably overpenetrate and then you're in trouble. In other words, these high speed rounds exit the body and make people bleed to death, but they don't stop a man instantly like a sledgehammer 45 to the chest.

Any gun is worthless though if you can't fire it safely, accurately, and comfortably. So if all you can handle is a 22 on the nightstand, then that is the best choice for you. Just make sure you unload on em!

Iraq and Afghanistan combat vet, Sgt in the 82nd Airborne Division, 1st Brigade Combat Team. Owner of all weapons needed for the zombie apocalypse!

Hopefully you haven't bought one yet, i have a 9mm a and can't get ammo and the ones i can find are $40 for 50 rds e which is stupid right now you'd be better off with a 40 or 45.you can find that ammo

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

• 3 weeks later...