Looking at getting my first hand gun

Blick05SS

So when is the SSS meet at the range? We have a few nice ones in my area of PA!

...considering an M&P shield (9mm) myself. I shoot .45 but the gun is too big to carry IMO.

The shield is nice... I torn it down when I brought mine home and did a nice trigger job on it. Smooth and no creep. Breaks like a glass rod at 3.5lbs

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

First off, think about what you will be using it for. Competition, home defense, personal protection, plinking at the range, etc...

It it's just a range, or plinking gun, there is no reason to be too picky. However, if it for any sort of protection, I highly recommend a polymer framed, striker fired gun, re: Glock or M&P.

Those are the only to I recommend for defense because I personally have over 12k behind the trigger of my Glock 19 and have run it in many many classes (seven in the last year and a half) and it always works. BTW, I haven't cleaned it since last September.

Hammer fired guns are ok for competition or range but the main reason I don't like it for defensive purposes is that the hammer is an obstruction and if something gets in the way of it trying to hit the firing pin, then you have a dead gun.

Also most hammer fired guns come in either a decocker or manual safety set up. Both of which I don't like for defensive purposes. I want to unholster the gun and shoot, not click off a safety or have a 10lb trigger pull for the first pull.

Here is my setup:

DSC_0144_zpsb077c89c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Glock 26 which is a 9mm, holds 10 rounds, and a glock 27 which is a 40 cal, holds 9 rounds. I like the 9mm but if someone breaks in my house I wanna leave him dead with a 40 through him.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

I have a Glock 26 which is a 9mm, holds 10 rounds, and a glock 27 which is a 40 cal, holds 9 rounds. I like the 9mm but if someone breaks in my house I wanna leave him dead with a 40 through him. Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

I don't have the exact statistics in front of me so I'm adlibbing a little bit here but the difference between a 9mm, .40 and .45 mortality rate when delivering 3 rounds center mass is something like .5% to 2%. All three being in the 96%+ fatality area. We gather these statistics directly from military testing. I don't have any of our slides on this computer they're all on the work laptop but I'll try to get the exact stats for you.

I'm a former Marine weapons instructor and current tactical weapons instructor for a local company. We do a lot of training for local LEO's and such as well as the occasional group of military guys that just want to do something new and fun. Obviously our mainstay is the civilian sector but you name it, we can teach it :)

http://www.trintacusa.com/Pages/default.aspx and http://www.emsdoneright.com/Pages/default.aspx

I have a Glock 26 which is a 9mm, holds 10 rounds, and a glock 27 which is a 40 cal, holds 9 rounds. I like the 9mm but if someone breaks in my house I wanna leave him dead with a 40 through him. Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

I don't have the exact statistics in front of me so I'm adlibbing a little bit here but the difference between a 9mm, .40 and .45 mortality rate when delivering 3 rounds center mass is something like .5% to 2%. All three being in the 96%+ fatality area. We gather these statistics directly from military testing. I don't have any of our slides on this computer they're all on the work laptop but I'll try to get the exact stats for you.

I'm a former Marine weapons instructor and current tactical weapons instructor for a local company. We do a lot of training for local LEO's and such as well as the occasional group of military guys that just want to do something new and fun. Obviously our mainstay is the civilian sector but you name it, we can teach it :)

http://www.trintacusa.com/Pages/default.aspx and http://www.emsdoneright.com/Pages/default.aspx

NICE!!!!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

• 2 months later...

Kimber all the way.... I picked up a colt ar15 today. Cant wait to go shoot it!

nothing like a Kimber. I got a custom TLE ll and i love it. I would pick a rugar alaskin for my first home defense gun. Aslong as they arent moving and 5 feet away you ll blow them in half lol.

First off, think about what you will be using it for. Competition, home defense, personal protection, plinking at the range, etc...

It it's just a range, or plinking gun, there is no reason to be too picky. However, if it for any sort of protection, I highly recommend a polymer framed, striker fired gun, re: Glock or M&P.

Those are the only to I recommend for defense because I personally have over 12k behind the trigger of my Glock 19 and have run it in many many classes (seven in the last year and a half) and it always works. BTW, I haven't cleaned it since last September.

Hammer fired guns are ok for competition or range but the main reason I don't like it for defensive purposes is that the hammer is an obstruction and if something gets in the way of it trying to hit the firing pin, then you have a dead gun.

Also most hammer fired guns come in either a decocker or manual safety set up. Both of which I don't like for defensive purposes. I want to unholster the gun and shoot, not click off a safety or have a 10lb trigger pull for the first pull.

Here is my setup:

DSC_0144_zpsb077c89c.jpg

Hard to argue with this logic. Well put. I've owned quite a few guns in my quest for the perfect one. In the end, get one, shoot it as much as you can, and take defensive classes if possible. BTW, nice gun.

Edited by Gasemall (see edit history)

Cant go wrong with glock, they are tried and proven..I have a g23 .40 that ive had for almost a year now with 0 issues and 0 jams with probably about 500 rounds through it so far

Look up glock torture test on youtube for a good look at how much abuse they can take and how well they handle it

My g23

20131009_181000.jpg

20131009_180944.jpg

So far ive polished the barrel, done silver letters on the slide, and added crimson trace laser grip

Still want to polish the pins, add a polished extended mag release/slide release, and stainless steel guide rod

Edited by white03ecsb (see edit history)

CZ -75 SA or SP-01 all the way. Perfect range gun and the sp-01 has a rail if you want a light/laser, etc... for home defense. CZ are the most underrated handguns in the industry. Based off of the timeless proven hi power design... you have to be pretty bad to not be accurate with these perfectly balanced beasts. czcustom.com has pretty good prices too.

CZ -75 SA or SP-01 all the way. Perfect range gun and the sp-01 has a rail if you want a light/laser, etc... for home defense. CZ are the most underrated handguns in the industry. Based off of the timeless proven hi power design... you have to be pretty bad to not be accurate with these perfectly balanced beasts. czcustom.com has pretty good prices too.

+ 1. I have rotated through a number of home defense handguns. The one that i've kept over the past 5 years based off of range time, accuracy and reliability is my CZ 75P01. Has a rail mounted light and Crimson trace grips, and more than enough rounds in the mag (I hope). All said, $650 into the gun and can't imagine using anything else. Feeds anything I put into it which is significant at the range when practice matters.

• 2 weeks later...

Hard to argue with this logic. Well put. I've owned quite a few guns in my quest for the perfect one. In the end, get one, shoot it as much as you can, and take defensive classes if possible. BTW, nice gun.

Thanks, it's a good setup. The serrations are a nice added touch for one handed manipulations from ATEi and I do the grip mods for a living.