part 4 testing is over - part 5 suggestions?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was interesting and opened a lot of eyes on the Volant air box comparisons you guys looked at. Two thumbs up..... :thumbs::thumbs:

Can you expand on that? Why not look at Cat back exhaust and other product that claim bolt on performance adders?

The critical issue is not get swayed off by the corporate guys for $$$ in advertising. Become a voice to the consumer, instead of a corporate puppet........

From the last 6 magazines I got from, CHP has been true to the consumer.

My $.02

• 2 weeks later...

I'd have to see hard facts to believe that a Magnaflow outflows a Flowmaster of the same chamber volume and basic structure. Both are fine mufflers, but flowmasters are highly used in the drag and street scene and known for their outstanding flow. Magnaflows reputation is more for subtle street use :dunno:

A person needs to be reeeeaalllllyyyy honest when choosing a cam and components.... a daily driver is just that... a Daily Driver. Putting a fat loping high powerband cam in a low rpm daily driver is just insane. It seriously limits the usefullness of the vehicle.

Rule of thumb is 230~240 degrees of duration at .050 lift, and under .475~.480" lift. A lot of folks say why bother, but that is a healthy cam for a heavy truck. Sometimes, less is more. I drive my truck under 3500 rpm a hell of a lot more than I do at 5500 and above. :ughdance::dunno:

Don't worry about hurting my feelings...i started the roll pan thing for me and it sorta took on a life of it's own.

The roll pan mod with removal of the spare does reduce the rear weight by about 150 lbs. My truck only came up about 1/2 inch higher but I have a Line-X Spray in bed liner. Would this solve that 1 inch issue with the McNaughty rear lowering?(maybe)

If you are intrested in doing the weight reduction test, I can have a roll pan made for you to try.

BSER,

If this

"If you are intrested in doing the weight reduction test, I can have a roll pan made for you to try."

was meant for me - I might just take you up on that!

From re-reading all the posts here I can see an overwheling majority want me to get in touch with MTV and "Pimp My Ride" for Part 5!

Rule of thumb is 230~240 degrees of duration at .050 lift, and under .475~.480" lift. A lot of folks say why bother, but that is a healthy cam for a heavy truck. Sometimes, less is more. I drive my truck under 3500 rpm a hell of a lot more than I do at 5500 and above. :ughdance:  :dunno:

:crackup: You mean 210-220 degrees @.050 lift. And more like .520 lift. that's considered very mild. 512/518 .525/.525 on 115 would be a very streetable cam

I've got a lot to learn about the LS1 LS6 blocks and components.... my references were to the old small block chevy however.

I had a 480 lift, 280 duration @.050 Comp. Cam in my 1984 Silverado in a 355ci small block and it was a little lumpy and the powerband was a little out of my driving range. The rear gear of my truck was a 3.08 and it sucked. I needed at least a 3.70ish gear to work with the cam. Also ran the stock torque converter in the TH350. A nice 2800 stall would have really brought it to life. But the traction of a truck leaves something to be deisired, so what's the point anyway?

:cry:

Archived