Aksss turbo 370 rebuild

AKSSS

You decide to get a bigger turbo?

After finding out that I had to buy new pistons, and I have already bought rods and a crank, So I might as well go to a 408. Which I have done. So my turbo setup will not flow enough to keep up with the new motor.

So with me not having enough time to build my own setup (which I would have like to have done) I bought a new t4 setup from kbracing that is setup for the large frame t4. I also ordered a new s480/87 turbo to go with those pipes. Basically it is a t6 turbo with a t4 flange put on it, that's why I have to have new hot pipes that move the flange out farther from the heads.

I also have changed my heads to go back to the 70cc chamber since the 65cc chambers with the 408 would put my compression up around 10.2 or something like that. BTR is who I have been dealing with on all of this, and they have been AWESOME to deal with. He is the one that said he would swap all my parts out that I haven't used to change over to my 408 assembly. I am returning the heads, cam, pushrods, oil pump, rods, and pistons. They are spec'ing me out a new cam, he already shipped out my new pistons, and I ordered my new rods from scat and a new crank from summit. I'm pretty sure this new setup is going to put me over my goals for this thing.

Something else that I am going to try after talking to Zippy and Tooley was piston sprayers. They are nozzles installed into the top of the main bearing in the block. And they spray the underside of the pistons to cool and lubricate them. Should help to fight off detonation and premature wear of the pistons. Should be interesting. My machine shop kinda looked at me like I was crazy. He said that he puts them into all of his sprint car and race motors, but not normally on street motors.

Whats your plan for fuel? You planning to run 91 and spray meth or is there something else your thinking about doing.

Well, I am hoping to do it just like I have been. I only have 90 octane here in Alaska at the pumps. So I spray meth on my high boost setting. I try to keep my daily driving boost level at a safe level with out the meth. Before it was about 8psi. Then when I turn on my controller it activates my meth pump also and it sprays any time the boost is over 8 psi.

I'm not quite sure what the boost levels will be this time. I am really hoping that the piston oilers will give me a little more of an advantage for boost with the 90 octane.

• 2 weeks later...

any updates? Any specs on the cam?

I am currently waiting on more parts to show up. When my pistons came in they had shipped the wrong ones. They were .070 over pistons and I needed .030 over. So I received the correct pistons later but they didn't up the upgraded wrist pins in. Lol. Never ending. So now, I need the wrist pins, camshaft, and heads. I'm pretty sure everything except for the heads is in the mail as of today.

The cam specs are 230/238 609/583 117+5. I don't know Anything about cam specs but I was kinda surprised about the smaller exhaust lift. Should be interesting.

The machine shop did get my piston oil sprayers installed last week. So that was a little progress. They had to drill the ports of the nozzles into the block main cap.

Kbracing is still at least 2 more weeks out for my new turbo and the hot pipes. But that is near the end of assembly. So I'm not sweating that. Can't wait to see this turbo though! Should be huge!

So I got started in my fuel bucket. I am changing out my 03 fuel tank and installing an 05 fuel tank. The 05 tank not only has a bigger opening, but the bucket on them is huge.

This bucket easily fit two walbro 400's into it with out cuttin anything up. Almost done with the plumbing part of the bucket. Then I need to do the wiring.

Here is the two fuel tanks together.

a4aby3yd.jpg

Here is the bigger bucket before I cut it up.

gaby5u7e.jpg

This is how the pumps will sit in the bucket. This white bracket clips into the bucket. I did use the rubber insulators that came with the pumps. We will see if they quiet the pumps down some.

qygezu5u.jpg

a2e6u6u6.jpg

Here is the pumps in the bucket. Socks on and all.

ugesumu9.jpg

yha5a8a7.jpg

5ara5a5y.jpg

And this is how I am going to feed the two pumps together. Pretty basic setup.

6yva3yhu.jpg

zyry6eza.jpg

Well I got almost all my parts in the mail today. I am really only missin my heads now. An a few small pieces (ie. windage tray, fuel filter etc).

Finally the engine can start going together.

Upgraded wrist pins, melling high pressure/high volume oil pump, new spec'd cam and new stroker connecting rods.

yzenu8up.jpg

pa3ymynu.jpg

jynynuty.jpg

You did you fuel setup like mine except I ran both lines spectate out of the bucket and y it in further down the line. I also drilled a hole In the old fuel filter and used it to hold my second pump in place with a small bracket I made. Looking good though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not very good and fabbing anything. So this will all be pretty basic. But thanks! I'm trying.

My next project is going to be building a bracket for my fuel regulator. I was going to mount it on the firewall. But now I am considering to the intake manifold. I guess there is some regulation that they have to be 6 inches away from the firewall??

that sucks. I mounted my right behind the manifold on the firewall. Do you guys have state inspections up there? In Oklahoma its a free for all. Nobody cares what you do here. Are you feeding both rails separate or are you running to one side with a crossover then back to your regulator?

that sucks. I mounted my right behind the manifold on the firewall. Do you guys have state inspections up there? In Oklahoma its a free for all. Nobody cares what you do here. Are you feeding both rails separate or are you running to one side with a crossover then back to your regulator?

My area of Alaska has no inspection. But the anchorage area does require it. Too bad for them. Haha

I am going to just do a loop system. Single in single out. Basically just a supply to cross over to a single return to the regulator. I have seen too many people making huge power on a loop system. If I actually have a problem with fuel pressure I will change it up. But I would rather keep it simple.

My area of Alaska has no inspection. But the anchorage area does require it. Too bad for them. Haha

I am going to just do a loop system. Single in single out. Basically just a supply to cross over to a single return to the regulator. I have seen too many people making huge power on a loop system. If I actually have a problem with fuel pressure I will change it up. But I would rather keep it simple.

Fuel system is looking good! Can't wait for engine build pics!

Also no inspections down here anymore, they did away with that about two years ago now which is very nice.

Oh. Didn't know that Matt. At least I know they won't be chasin me down now. Lol.

I have been having some big problems trying to get my piston sprayers installed. For something so easy it is a little nerve racking to install. The manufacture for got to add a really long special drill bit. Here is a few pics.

je7enuva.jpg

e4upery5.jpg

8uzusupy.jpg

dutynu6e.jpg

I also had the machine shop go head and cut my crank for a sbc keyway. Try have my crank pulley so they will get all that setup before they balance everything together.

Edited by Aksss (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Well. The last part that I needed showed up today to assemble the motor.

ebyruza5.jpgehenepy2.jpgdumepa9e.jpg

Now I can finish up the motor. All that is left to come in is the new s480 turbo and hot pipes.