MID12sSSS TVS2300 370 build

MID12sSSS

• 3 months later...

Little update..

I got some more parts in this past weekend...

80e flexplate

image_zpsh5ypquui.jpg

Phantom 2 wideband to match the other gauges... This will get rid of that little box on the dash. I have a new triple gauge pod in the passenger seat waiting to go in.

image_zps16okr6xu.jpg

New heat exchanger

image_zpstmdli1hw.jpg

image_zps0oqcm2mh.jpg

And of course, it wouldn't be a hotrod build without fuzzy dice. :lol:

image_zpstpodmlig.jpg

Also got the old fuel tank out... (don't mind the wires)

image_zps9q2tsmb8.jpg

Edited by MID12sSSS (see edit history)

The old 340lph pump...

image_zpskjhx2zyd.jpg

Next to the new dual walbro 400s (again don't mind the wires. They are being re-done. The primary pump and sending unit will be wired to factory plug and activated with hotwire kit. The second pump will have one wire coming through the top and powered by a 2psi hobbs switch)

image_zpsm1j8bzfh.jpg

image_zpsxwjz8e4z.jpg

image_zpsx2e4eqnq.jpg

Well, im finally starting to make some progress again.. After taking a long break from working on the truck, its now crunch time. Gotta get going on this or it wont be ready for spring. While its -30 out, ive got the garage lit up with work lights and a space heater keeping the shop warm. Lately ive gutted all the EVAP/emissions crap, the old hard fuel lines and trans cooler lines, built my new fuel bucket, prepped the new fuel tank for install, and started wiring for the new fuel system.. This weekend the 85e and transfer case will be painted black. Going to order my new Precision Converter this afternoon and get it coming.. If all goes to plan, ill have all my fuel lines made and installed this weekend, and prepping for my 85e install the following weekend... The biggest hurdle will be the accessory drive...And heres why...
Heres my engine.. (which is in the truck now.. Old pic)
image_zps339b642f.jpg

The TVS2300 is from a 2010+ Camaro, which has the same accessory drive spacing as GM trucks. Joe came up with the "hybrid drive" currently installed on my engine... The issue is... His drops nice and neat into his Trailblazer SS. While mine, being the first Silverado guinea pig to have tried this, found out that in this configuration, the alternator hits the steering gear on the inside of the drivers side frame....
So, we've played around with the idea of lifting the engine 1.5" or so to clear the alternator of the steering gear... Well, I run out of tunnel space for the trans, my drive angle will be all wrong, my exhaust no longer lines up... So I thought, well maybe ill just throw the truck alternator and power steering bracket back on... I've seen Shawn, Angrygreg, Eddie, and a few others run jackshaft blowers with truck accessories...

image_zpspinfonkt.jpg

Well, with my blower, you can't. If you look at theirs, their head unit sits higher than the jackshaft, and therefore, can install the throttle body the correct way facing the passenger side, and have the truck accessories on the drivers side. But with my style Camaro blower, the throttle body needs to be installed where the actuator is on the drivers side, rather than the passenger side, to clear the supercharger jackshaft... And the throttle body actuator wont clear the alternator in the truck configuration.... So.. now what.. I either try to relocate the steering gear, and have to deal with a custom steering shaft and other head aches... Or I relocate the alternator..
I found this kit by Holley. Its meant for LS3 (or any LS swap) into older model vehicles with steering gears. Come to find out, im not the first to have this issue. Holley produced a bracket to relocate the alternator to the top by the power steering pump..
image_zps3aapxnik.jpg

image_zps0btevej5.jpg
(few more pics and a video of how it works)
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Holley-20-135-Drivers-Side-P-S-and-Alternator-LS-Acc-Drive-Bracket-Kit,65093.html

This kit SHOULD give me the throttle body clearance I need while getting the alternator clear of the steering gear.. This really is my last chance to making this Camaro blower work in my truck.. Its been a pain in the ass "trial and error" process.. Spent some money I didn't need to, and will have to spend more now in hopes of making this work. I need a corvette style P/S pump, truck style alternator, and of course, the bracket, hardware, mounts, etc, as well as a new belt now.. Oh, and a remote located power steering fluid reservoir, with custom pressure and return lines to the gear and cooler..... :mad:

I just have to keep telling myself, "itll be awesome when its done". Haha. Seems like a lot of redundant work opposed to just slapping on a truck 2300 and calling it a day... But itll be one of a kind. That's for sure. Anyone else would have to be mad to take this route. :lol:

But ill get there, and itll be putting down some serious numbers when its done :peelout:

Anyway, ill keep wrenching and keep you guys updated. Once the accessory drive is figured out, itll be smooth sailing.. It should go pretty quick once I work out the kinks. :thumbs:

Maybe Matt can chime in. He's done lots of crazy LS swaps. I'm sure he's run into clearance issues a hundred times.

Man it sure is looking good. Can't wait to see some numbers. It's gonna be a beast. It looks mean as hell just sitting there. GL

Lol. I hope it doesn't have to sit there too much longer. I think I should win an award for how long this has taken me. :lol: Edited by MID12sSSS (see edit history)

Man buddy, that blows...now I know why you've been dragging your feet on finishing this thing up. Good luck man, I know you'll get it figured out.

Yeah. I should be done by now. Theres no excuse there. But had I known there was a difference between jackshaft 2300s... Lol. They all looked the same to me when I was in the market, so when I found a deal on one, I bought it.. Ill get it figured out though. I have no choice but to get er done.

EV6 pigtails came in for my FIC 1000s.

image_zpspcx27h3s.jpg

image_zpsgyva2j2y.jpg

Also ordered up that dirty dingo low mount alternator bracket and LS1 alternator. I found my old truck alternator (it looks rough), but it gave me an idea of the clearance ill have. The dirty dingo bracket mounts the alternator thru bolts directly to the block, rather than mounting the bracket to the block, then the alternator to the bracket. This pulls the alternator in a little over an inch. Also, the LS1 alt is a very small cased alternator (in pictures a few posts back).

But just to get an idea, I mocked up my truck alt with the correct truck back spacing.

image_zpsz4a7im5c.jpg

If it looks a little too far back, its because it has a 6rib pulley on it.

But I should have just enough clearance with the new bracket/alt combo.

image_zps6sjxugbx.jpg

Worst case, I'll put a smaller bolt in the gear box on that corner, or do some grinding. :thumbs:

Fingers crossed this works. This'll be the best option by far. I won't have to change a thing. Just throw my 8rib alt pulley on the new ls1 alt, and bolt it on. Probably even get away with using the same belt!

It will work out. Just take your time. You have too much time and money in this to rush anything now.

Don't forget to run the two wires for the data logger on the wideband. I have extra ends for you to plug into the hpt cables.

Going to be an interesting summer! :)