MID12sSSS TVS2300 370 build

MID12sSSS

If anyone else tries this hybrid drive conversion, take heed if you have a gen 3 block... Come to find out, the LQ9 isn't tapped for the necessary holes to secure the LS3 camaro alternator bracket to the block! Lol. So tomorrow I'll be ever so carefully drilling into my engine block and tapping threads for the alternator bracket. Haha. Fun fun. I'll get pics of course.

It's always something. :lol:

/\ /\ This is exactly why I took the easy way out and didn't go with the jackshaft...way outta my league!

You have one of the best builds on these trucks going, so just take your time and it'll be done before you know it bro. It will be more than worth the wait!

Could you use a dirty dingo bracket to mount instead of drilling your block

That's a great idea Alan. I thought about it myself. I'm sure they've got something that would fit the bill. I asked Joe for his opinion and he told me to nut up and drill the block. Lol. So I'm gonna give it a try. I already have the bracket. So we'll see what happens.

/\ /\ This is exactly why I took the easy way out and didn't go with the jackshaft...way outta my league!

You have one of the best builds on these trucks going, so just take your time and it'll be done before you know it bro. It will be more than worth the wait!

Haha thanks dude. It's definitely a stressful build. Very time consuming and expensive as shit. Lol. It hurts my stomach thinking about it, but I'll have over $20,000 under the hood when this is all said and done. :lol: Sometimes I wish I just slapped on the truck 2300. It makes great power and I'm sure I would have been happy with it. Plus I would have been driving it months ago and had more $$ on my pocket... But there's no turning back now! Haha. But I'm sure I'll be very happy with it when it's done.

Bro, take a video of you tapping that ass and post it here!

:crackup: You'd like that wouldn't you?! Haha ill get you guys caught up this weekend. My girl works all day Saturday so ill be out in the shop, music blaring, beer flowing, and wrenching on the truck. Gotta make a little bit of progress before I leave for vacation on the 27th. Ill be in Wisconsin area for 2weeks.. Im so ready for a vacation! Gonna head out to my uncles cabin, ride jet skis, go to six flags, Wisconsin Summerfest... Cant wait :cool:

But August is coming fast! Theres a huge cruise in August that I don't wanna miss.. I missed out on the first cruise of race season. Don't wanna miss the last one too! Lol. Car show, cruise, few passes at the track, some street racing.. I cant wait to get my truck back.. Not only do I have to build my truck, ive got another one I gotta build by August. Harley came over last night and picked up my old MP112. Hes also getting my built 65e and some other goodies. Gotta get him caught up here soon too.. So much to do! Justin should be making some big progress soon too. His truck is going to be an absolute animal!! The 3 of us will look good at the car show all lined up with our hoods popped..

Make sure you hand tap it don't use a drill. You can't afford to snap a tap.

Lol. Yeah definitely using a hand tap.. Ive never used a drill for a tap. I hand thread it in, then back it out. Then in a little more, and back out. Ill get a video of that tapping action for you pervs :lol:

Ill assemble my accessory drive for a quick picture, then ill take it all apart and drop in the longblock. Ive gotta clean up my engine bay a bit yet too. Prep it for the new clean motor. I also ordered new bearings for the jackshaft. The rear one was feeling a little gritty, so figured id press new bearings on while its out of the truck, rather than pulling it to do it in a year or so.

When I get back from vacation, ill order up my converter and flex plate. Then the 85e will go in. :thumbs:

Anyway, enough rambling.. Im just avoiding work as long as possible this morning. Lol. TGIF!

Ill shoot you guys pics by Sunday.

:peelout:

Edited by MID12sSSS (see edit history)

Made some progress yesterday. Didn't make as much as I wanted. Had to go out to my dads and help him fall some trees. Today I'll make some more progress after all the Father's Day stuff.. Yesterday I drilled and tapped the hole necessary for the ls3 alternator bracket. The block drilled out really easy actually. I was surprised how easily a sharp bit went through the ear of the block. But I did run into a few delays I'll have to deal with tomorrow. The alternator has a clutch pulley, and needs a special Mercedes tool to remove the pulley. So I'll have the repair shop take it off for me tomorrow. So in the pics, the accessory drive is complete, minus the alternator pulley which I will put on tomorrow. The other issue was the passenger valve cover doesn't fit. The baffles from the lq9 valve covers hang way too low for the new LS3 design and hit the rockers. And since I already paid to have them powdercoated....

I'll just dremel off the baffes. Who needs em. Lol. Tonight I'll drop the long block in the truck and start plugging stuff together! Get the accessory drive put back on, cooling system plumbed, and start plugging in te wiring harness... Then it'll be on to the fuel system. Build the tank during the week and start running fuel line. Anyway, on to some pics.

Before:image_zpsaee0ddbe.jpg

Used the bracket as a jig and marked the hole. Then started drilling.

image_zpsd5eaac88.jpg

Then tapped the M10x1.5

image_zps0bed0786.jpg

The bracket fits :thumbs:

Of course it needs to be polished before final assembly. Lol

image_zpsd8cbb240.jpg

Kept bolting things on until it was complete.

Looks pretty good so far! Just gotta polish up some more stuff, and press in the new bearings on the jackshaft. But here's an idea what the final piece will look like...

image_zps753421e1.jpg

image_zps6e2a590a.jpg

image_zps339b642f.jpg

image_zps7d45e62e.jpg

Gonna get this guy on tomorrow.

image_zpse4f7cb54.jpg

And my belt should be here tomorrow too. :thumbs:

Here's some pics of the new LS3 rocker arms, and you can see that the valve cover won't fit without some modification.

image_zps05f5d84e.jpg

Here's where the baffles hit the rockers

image_zps865ce3ae.jpg

image_zps9a5487c5.jpg

Gonna have to grind em off!image_zps74d5f022.jpg

Anyway, I'll get some more engine bay pics tonigt once the motor is in if you guys are interested. :cheers:

Happy Fathers Day!

That motor looks great with that accessory drive setup on there! I had that same valve cover problem with the baffles hitting the rocker arms when I was doing the L92 top end conversion on my LQ9 in my 69. I hacked them off with an angle grinder LOL and ran them for some test runs then pulled them off and installed the GMPP polished ones I have now.

That thing will go back together quick now!