The REDSLED... Build #2

gcosse05

The other night, I was having a conversation with someone on the SSS.com Facebook page and we got on the subject of valve covers. Do you guys remember the Abear covers that hid the coils too? The ones that are impossible to find now that they went out of business? Well he showed me the covers by Southern Performance Systems. Look identical to the Abear covers. I have contacted them today to ask about fitment on the truck, as they claim that they will not work with factory serpentine systems. He told me that he knows they wont work with the Camaro or Corvette accessories. The guy I spoke to told me that he will mock up an engine with truck accessories and see if they fit the motor with the truck stuff. Also, he said he would send pics and measurements to be sure they would clear the firewall and anything else that I may be concerned about clearance on. I asked about a group buy, didn't get much luck. I'll see about maybe getting more aggressive about one for us once I ensure that they'll fit. In the meantime, check them out. Pretty awesome looking covers!
http://www.southernperformancesystems.com/…/two-piece-hcvc.…

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The Abear covers are awesome. Id like to have a set. Unfortunately I have not heard back from SPS about the covers. I wont call them again. Not going to beg someone to let me give them $1200, know what I mean?

Engine update: Spoke to Zippy last night. We actually talked for about 45 minutes. Mike has really been great through his build, as he has since I got my truck and started modding it. Very pleased that I chose him to build my engine. He's got a mess of parts there fr my engine, minus cam and maybe one or 2 other small things. He told me he'd like to have it to me in the next 10 days to 2 weeks or so. I'm pretty excited. That's all for now. Will update asap.

Edited by gcosse05 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Picking up intake from cerakote/paint tomorrow. And Zippy says motor should be ready to ship within the week. I plan to start pulling the motor and get the trans ready to go to builder probably next weekend. More to come

Your going to love those Piston sprayers that you installed. While tuning my setup, Zippy has my timing around 20 degrees with no KR at 7-8psi on 90 octane. This is VERY impressive to me.

Also, after tearing my old motor down. My diamond pistons were out of round. I am no engine builder, but I am assuming that after 50k miles of being turbo'd the heat was hard on the pistons. So hopefully the sprayers help keep the pistons cooler. That is the point of them!

-EDIT

I just read through this whole build. This thing should be a rocket! Look forward to seeing it run! I wish I had gone with the bigger heads like you did.

Edited by Aksss (see edit history)

Your going to love those Piston sprayers that you installed. While tuning my setup, Zippy has my timing around 20 degrees with no KR at 7-8psi on 90 octane. This is VERY impressive to me.

Also, after tearing my old motor down. My diamond pistons were out of round. I am no engine builder, but I am assuming that after 50k miles of being turbo'd the heat was hard on the pistons. So hopefully the sprayers help keep the pistons cooler. That is the point of them!

-EDIT

I just read through this whole build. This thing should be a rocket! Look forward to seeing it run! I wish I had gone with the bigger heads like you did.

Thanks man. I hope it goes just as planned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Motor will be going in a crate any day now. Zippy really has been great through this whole thing. Intake is ready for pickup as well. I have everything I need to do the job. All I'm lacking now is a few fittings for the fuel system. I've bought everything else. I'm so excited. Every time I talk to Mike, I get more excited. Here's some pics of the manifold. None completed yet. Supposed to have pics of engine today. I'll post em up. Also, I got the headers. Got them from Speed Engineering. They're polished, they're stainless, and the price was right. I've heard nothing but good from people about the cilia timer service too. So I went with them. They sure do look nice.

post-25370-144421466729_thumb.jpg

post-25370-144421469747_thumb.jpg

post-25370-144421473275_thumb.jpg

Edited by gcosse05 (see edit history)