Growling Front End Part 2

I posted a couple of weeks ago about front end noise in turns....The dealer replaced the viscous coupling in the transfer case and told me that would fix the problem.... IT DIDN'T.. picked up the truck today from the dealer (3rd trip) and was handed a service bullietin 01-04-18-001c dated november 2004..that had this sentence "Once agin, these systems may make more noise in turns, and in some situations you may be able to feel the system operating, even on high traction surfaces" Sounds to me thats BS......I want to know how many of you guys with 2004 SS have the same noise...(If its everybody on the site I'll stop bitching) I am also going to send an lettter to GM... This is the last chevy I am going to buy... I know its not the dealers fault they are just doing whta GM tells them to do but it is BS that when I turn into a driveway or parking spot people turn and look not because its a nice looking truck but because it sounds like a POS....If any one has a fix that worked let me know what was replaced.... Till then I'm the guy with noisy truck....

Jim :nonod:

:puke: GM

I definitely have the noise, and people look when I make a tight turn in a parking lot, but it really doesn't bother me at all...

To me, the noise doesn't sound like a junky vehicle - it doesn't sound like anything I've heard before, actually.

That buzzing/vibration from the gas pedal is from the supplemental brake assist unit doing its self test. Theres a tsb on this issue which GM considers normal. It usually happens once per key cycle above 10mph through the 1-2 shift. Mine did the same thing. Just out of curiosity I disconnected the sba wire(located at the brake booster) and the noise went away. The brake pedal feel did degrade somewhat though. I connected it back up and left it at that.

Noise from the front of an AWD vehicle isn't all that uncommon (its not just the SS) I have a friend w/ a Subaru WRX STi and his does the same thing... only his is louder and higher pitch grinding.

You've got to understand that AWD is hard on the front... its why you don't drive a 4wd truck w/ the front engaged all the time on the street... it just wears on the components. I've taken mine in and gotten it serviced for this issue. The noise goes away mostly, but its always there. The way I see it you've got 2 options:

1) Sell/Trade-In the SS and get a 2WD 6.0VHO... no front diff to give you problems

2) GET OVER IT... and slap on a loud aftermarket exhaust to drown out the noise :thumbs:

I agree I have driven and denali and no noise If its the same driveline why cant SS owners have the same noise level... There in the same price range....Look guys I cant believe some of the people on here are "just deal with it " This Truck stickered at $40,000 we shouldn't have to "settle with the noise " or "deal with the noise" or have GM say "Its normal" when not all SS do it.....It's BS I would think that we could get together and call GM or talk to your dealer so GM will find a fix and we can all finallly drive around with no noise....

Just my opinion ....

I typically like "hard edged" vehicles. I wouldn't mind if the motor rocked the truck at idle, or the shifts were harder and more abrupt, or if the throttle was very snappy... as long as there is some performance there.

For me, the AWD system works great with the abuse I throw at it (sliding the truck in the rain, botting it around corners in the dry) - so I don't mind the sound. It gives the truck character. :)

I have the same low speed coast noise when turning also. I have driven an Escalade and Yukon Denali,  and did not here the noise?????? Any input from the Sierra C3 guys?????? :dunno:

Not a sound... because we are professional grade! :jester:

actually my C3 didn't...but then it started about 2k miles ago, at around 45k miles.

I also like the harder shift feel and harsh ride but, I'm more concerned that when the front differential explodes at 36,100 and my dealer and Gm tell me "I'm sorry, the warranty has expired. Did you purchase an extended warranty????"  :wtf:

That's true.

I also figure, since mine, and a lot of others on here have done it right off the lot - if these are huge widespread defects, I think GM would actually do something about it.

How many of us on here have had a tailgate cable let go? :)

Archived