Do you think?

TWISTERSS

Twister,

Personally, $8,000/$10,000 grand is a chunk of change when you can get these supercharged for around $5,000/$6,000. Granted, that figure does not include all the things you mentioned like headers etc. (which help performance even more) but still......

To answer your question, for me personally, I would not put ten grand just into performance add-ons. Too many other things I want to do like aftermarket wheels and tires etc. Putting that much into performance and appearance mods just makes to total tab for the vehicle waaay too high. You'd lose your @ss on resale down the road a few year.

Just my .02

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lee, are correct in many ways........ however, I do have a couple of thoughts on this.

If the factory were to do all of the performance add-ons.......... it will always be a better deal than if you do it. Think about it, for the vehicle to meet the factories durability standards....... not only would they give you a forged bottom end, but you would get other goodies like a beefed up transmission, rear axle, brakes, and maybe even some pretty aluminum driveshafts......... for your money.

When you are talking about the supercharger only being $5-6000........ all that gets you is a supercharger. Then you are stuck replacing parts as they fail (not saying they will........ just that the probability is higher).

If the MSRP with the additional performance parts is $48K for instance, and (lets be meanly hypothetical for simplicity sake since I got next to no sleep last night) after 2 years, your truck is only worth 1/2 of MSRP......... you would get $24K. If you spend $40K for your truck (you can only compare MSRP, as all the deals on purchases these days are really going to hurt resale), and you spend only $5K for a supercharger and $2500 for a built trans and never have to do anything else to the truck to add to its durability......... you may be able to sell it for $1K to $1500 more than that half of MSRP, or in other words $21-21500. Yet you have almost the exact same money into it.

Plus there is the resale difficulty of trying to convice someone that you didn't beat the living crap out of it........... and that can be something very hard to overcome.

I have been there. I spent appx $10,000 in mods on my '91 GT. When I sold the car, I got about $2000 more than the equivilent car without the mods. It wasn't even close to a good deal for me. Also, even though my car was meticulously maintained, and won car shows at up to 100K miles (I sold it with 105K miles on it)........ there was still that stigma to overcome.... of did I beat the crap out of it (I did not). Needless to say, I had a hard time selling it.

Excuse me if this was rambling......... massive lack of sleep (I didn't fall asleep till after 4:30 in the morning).

Hey guys,

First, sorry for my typo. I quoted you as 8/10 and you actually said 6/8.

I'm not sure where we are going with this. Would I have preferred the factory do everything like the SVT guys do for the L? And have it be around $46,000 (NO higher). Yes, I could live with that. I would rather not do anything as far as performance goes in the aftermarket. I'll spend my $$ on appearance. We apparently differ here as I think ALL cars/trucks benefit for appearance add-ons - ESPECIALLY in the wheels). I have seen very few mfg's come out with a wheel that I liked. The ONLY exception I can think of right off hand is the Vette's chrome five spoke. Plus, going back as far as I can remember, I like my vehicles to look like MY vehicles, not 10,000 others that rolled off the assembly line. I'm really anal about how my rides look. I probably should have gone into the aftermarket appearance biz instead of landscaping. I really love doing that to a vehicle. That's obviously a personal thing as not everyone feels that way and we all like something different when it comes to appearance.

Getting back to the question, GM didn't come out and offer us that performance option so where are we going with this?

Lee

well, reguardless of whether or not you take your ss to the track, it's still not fast. that was my point. this isn't even comparing it to the harley truck, lightning, or srt. simply comparing it to a stock 5.7 dodge, 5.9 dakota, or 5.3 silverado. some people get so offended by pointing out the power issue. if you aren't buying the ss for it's performance than what is the excitement with the ss, the c3 covered most of this market a couple years ago.

the bottom line is the manufacture like GM doesn't jump thru the hoops like they had to in the early years

" how do you want it your way? " burger king
forget limited edt now a days its just a badge / label, the dealers don't care or know what the hell they are selling as long as it sells, most if not all new dealers " salesmanship " is about getting the most blood out of the rock and not even close to " what can I do for you " how can I make your vehicle better for you?

factory headers, super chargers, turbo, gears, 6 spd manual, automatic, 4.8 .5.3 6.0 ect.. big block, small block, its all " do' able " if enough people cared about the customer, performance and were true enthusiasts, and not most interested in spoon-fed sales numbers... that's just my 0.50¢ blurb... :wtf:

There is a dealer in Arizona, I believe that they are in Phoenix, that does a dealer installed performance Silverado called the Chevy Silverado 1500 Thunder. Courtesy Chevrolet. I believe they charged as much as the SS would cost you now for a rwd, single cab, with flowmaster exhaust, whipple supercharger, 18" wheels, custom suspension. All this done to a 5.3 liter Vortec. This thing is capable of Lightning like times. In the end I'm buying the SS because courtesy wouldn't throw the package on a 4wd truck. I have to have the ability to drive in adverse weather. What I'm trying to say is I'd probably rather mod the SS to my likings so it would be at least a little different than the others.

well, reguardless of whether or not you take your ss to the track, it's still not fast. that was my point. this isn't even comparing it to the harley truck, lightning, or srt. simply comparing it to a stock 5.7 dodge, 5.9 dakota, or 5.3 silverado. some people get so offended by pointing out the power issue. if you aren't buying the ss for it's performance than what is the excitement with the ss, the c3 covered most of this market a couple years ago.

Zippy, You ask what is the excitement which is a question that has been answered by us many a time. BECAUSE IT SUITS OUR NEEDS. Some of us would still like our sport trucks to function as a truck. Get it. The only reason people get offended about the power issue is when Zippy points it out no matter what message thread was being discussed. And if you're so unexcited about the SS let me ask you a question. What the hell are you doing here!? This is SilveradoSS.com not getalecturefromzippy.com. If your not going to help us with mod questions and any other info that might actually be useful than do us all a favor and as your name Zippy implies, just Zip it! :fume:

Archived