Looks like my 408ci may become a 413ci

BenKey

My engine finally made it to my builder yesterday. I went over there to help the final part of disassembly today.

What we found was that the crank, cam, cam bearings, lifters, and main bearings all looked perfect. However, the cylinders and piston skirts were a different story. Rings didn't look too good either. Looked like it had been oil starved and running excessively rich. The oil starving was a combination of things.

One, it was so rich that the extra fuel was actually washing the cylinder, sort of defeating the lubrication. Ran like this for about 100 miles or less, but the crucial part of the engine break-in. Tune is tuned in nearly perfect now for fueling. It was difficult for a small period, due to the 60lb injectors, and the 65psi of fuel pressure. It was the first time that I had ever messed with IFR tables, so tried to go slow. What I needed was huge jumps.

Second, was the adding of adjustable rockers. They are quite a bit larger, therefore requiring deletion of the PCV valley inside the valve cover in order to keep from hitting the valve covers. So, the end result there was the sucking up of lots of oil in my intake. I drove the truck to Jacksonville, FL, about 400 miles, to get the truck away from Ivan. This is where all the damge occured from the oil starvation. At that point I had about 300 miles on it, and not enough time to tell I was sucking oil into the intake, although I had guessed it was going to happen. I was going to order a catch can, which would have told me what was happening, but evacuation and getting my house buttoned up was much more important. This problem has been corrected also. Just a little too late.

So, worse case, my block will be bored out another .030" (I think) and be a 413 or 414. Something like that, I think. Of course this will be another set of $500 pistons. Wife took it well. This is worse case. We will see what the machine guy has to say after he looks at it and mikes it out.

So, may go to a LS2 intake and 90mm TB while I'm at it. Not sure on that part yet. They flow near what a FAST intake does and are about $500 less (intake and TB). This is what I hear from the local guys, anyway.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh man, I'm really sorry to hear that. Glad its only the cylinder walls and not the crank. I hope the diagnosis is good on the block.

Can you file a claim under your homeowners insurance as hurricane Ivan damage? :)

As far as the LS2 stuff, I wouldn't hesitate a bit doing it. Some say the LS2 intake isn't as good as the FAST.... It may not be. But its better than the truck intake, I'd put money on it. Its going to breathe better than the truck can with the wide 90mm opening. The open plenum will also be a benefit. Feel free to ask me questions on it LS2 stuff. I've got lots of pics of the parts and measurements if you need them.

I saw some valve cover spacers the other day for that exact purpose. I think summit had them. maybe you could get another set of vavle covers and use the spacers and keep your pcv system working properly

I've gone over to a LS6 style PCV system. It actually vents through the valley cover. GEAR M UP has done the same with his and you can see the small vent neck sticking out from beneath the front of the intake in his pics. This is what most of the LS1 guys eventually go to. Supposedly, nearly stops any oil consumption issues. It was only $75 to convert. New valve covers and spacers would have been over $200, with it being a little less if found used. Now all I do is plug the hole in both of the valve covers.

My engine finally made it to my builder yesterday.  I went over there to help the final part of disassembly today. 

What we found was that the crank, cam, cam bearings, lifters, and main bearings all looked perfect.  However, the cylinders and piston skirts were a different story.  Rings didn't look too good either.  Looked like it had been oil starved and running excessively rich.  The oil starving was a combination of things. 

One, it was so rich that the extra fuel was actually washing the cylinder, sort of defeating the lubrication.  Ran like this for about 100 miles or less, but the crucial part of the engine break-in.  Tune is tuned in nearly perfect now for fueling.  It was difficult for a small period, due to the 60lb injectors, and the 65psi of fuel pressure.  It was the first time that I had ever messed with IFR tables, so tried to go slow.  What I needed was huge jumps.   

Second, was the adding of adjustable rockers.  They are quite a bit larger, therefore requiring deletion of the PCV valley inside the valve cover in order to keep from hitting the valve covers.  So, the end result there was the sucking up of lots of oil in my intake.  I drove the truck to Jacksonville, FL, about 400 miles, to get the truck away from Ivan.  This is where all the damge occured from the oil starvation.  At that point I had about 300 miles on it, and not enough time to tell I was sucking oil into the intake, although I had guessed it was going to happen.  I was going to order a catch can, which would have told me what was happening, but evacuation and getting my house buttoned up was much more important.  This problem has been corrected also.  Just a little too late.

So, worse case, my block will be bored out another .030" (I think) and be a 413 or 414.  Something like that, I think.  Of course this will be another set of $500 pistons.  Wife took it well.  This is worse case.  We will see what the machine guy has to say after he looks at it and mikes it out.

So, may go to a LS2 intake and 90mm TB while I'm at it.  Not sure on that part yet.  They flow near what a FAST intake does and are about $500 less (intake and TB).  This is what I hear from the local guys, anyway.

will the block hold another .030 over? you can go in smaller increments, just enough to cover the damage.

sorry to hear about your problems.

Oh man, I'm really sorry to hear that.  Glad its only the cylinder walls and not the crank.  I hope the diagnosis is good on the block. 

Can you file a claim under your homeowners insurance as hurricane Ivan damage? :)

As far as the LS2 stuff, I wouldn't hesitate a bit doing it.  Some say the LS2 intake isn't as good as the FAST.... It may not be.  But its better than the truck intake, I'd put money on it.  Its going to breathe better than the truck can with the wide 90mm opening.  The open plenum will also be a benefit.  Feel free to ask me questions on it  LS2 stuff.  I've got lots of pics of the parts and measurements if you need them.

Yeah, crank worried me some. A little anxious to hear about the block. I guess really worse case would be a new block and new pistons.

I wish I could cover it under Ivan. It was only a few days before I had to get out of town. Never even had the miles to notice any or how much oil I was losing. I do remember wanting to get to Jax as soon as possible to get by all the traffic. I ran it about 200 miles @70mph before I made the first stop. I should have run it about 50 miles and checked my oil. But, just wanted to hurry up and get by. Somehow the thought of coming home to rubble just overpowered any thought about the welfare of my truck.

The LS2 thoughts are just throwing things out there. When I went over to the builders, there was a guy there with a '01 Z06 that they had done a LS2 conversion on. Sounds like it's not too expensive. I'll get in touch with you to get some specifics if I try to do this. Thanks for the offer of info. :thumbs:

will the block hold another .030 over? you can go in smaller increments, just enough to cover the damage.

sorry to hear about your problems.

From what I understand it will. I believe it will go even more, but not too sure on that. It will be bored just enough, no more.

I'd like to see some pics and more info on the LS6 PCV system. Would this work on a 5.3L motor? What's the reason for doing this again?

Thanks, 00z71sierra

Ben, I'm sorry to hear you had some issues....... :eek:

Let me know if you need some pic's of the valley or water pump convert info..... :thumbs:

Archived