9 batteries later.....

Aspentaylor

You should throw one of the batteries that dies through the window of the dealership and tell them it jumped out from under you hood. If they dont have enough common sense to look more into your problem they may believe the battery jumping out of your hood. That really sucks that its happened to you that many times. Hope you get it fixed and good luck

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny thing is, my truck is at the dealer right now, from what I thought was the tranny going out. They just called and said the battery was bad. They said that was the only thing wrong with it. :crackup: My truck wouldnt even go, all it did was rev up when it was in drive. I guess the battery does more than I thought :D

Sad thing is that I am laughing at this but I am actually about to realize that I waisted $1400 on a converter that has done nothing but mess up. I guess I will keep a smile on my face even though I wanna cry. :D

:(

yah know what, when i put my windows down/up the  lights dim...so my battery is dieing! and i recently replaced it (a month or 2 ago) with an optima yellow top.... but than again i do have the radio on a lot while working on my truck, but i dont have subs or neons or anything like that......

No, that's perfectly normal...... don't worry...

Something is definitely definitely wrong, and it's not the batteries.

Just to clear things up, what's a dead battery?  One that doesn't have enough juice to start the truck, right?

This specific case --> I don't know what their problems are but ...

In general --> Dead battery means it won't hold a charge

It loses the charge when hooked up to the truck, right? I'd be willing to bet that they will hold the charge if the batteries are pulled out of the truck. -- I've never heard of that many batteries going bad, unless the alternator was putting out serious power - but then I'd expect lights and things to be burning out too -- something the dealer should DEFINITELY pick up on.

I really think there is a simple sticking relay that's keeping power going through a system after the key has been shut off.

Twice in the last few weeks, I've shut my key off, only to have the "dinger from hell" freaking out on me like I left my lights on or the keys in the ignition. My dash stays lit up. I have to put my keys back in, flick it forward and backward, and remove them to get everything to act like normal.

Mine did that for the first week I had it, every time I took the key's out it acted as if they were still in the ignition!! drove me crazy, but it hasn't done that since then so mabey it was just a stuck relay or sensor??

Now that the ignition thing has been mentioned when my truck wasn;t starting after I bought it they said the ignition switches were know to go and cause a dead battery, in my case that wasn;t the problem it was just a bad ground. But def look into that.

• 3 weeks later...

I am jealous ... I don't have that much time to donate to playing the game. I would have taken it somewhere else and have been done with it. It drives me insane wasting time like that. But hey that is just me. Good luck.

If the only problem is the battery keeps going dead ... I don't blame Chevy for saying it's not a lemon. I would take it somewhere and figure out what the problem is ... then go back to Chevy if you want ... and ask why they didn't check that. Man ... 9 batteries before january .... 3 hours a time ... 3 months later and still doing the same thing ... you have a hella lot more time than I. Git R Done and figure out what the problem is and then if you feel the urge ... attack chevy if you can prove they were incompetent and if you truley have a lemon. IMO

Hey I worked at Chery for 8yrs as a tech an never had seen before without being able to fix it. I'll do some checking with my connections and see what I can find out. Sounds to me like one of the control modules are shorting and draining the battery. They should be able to find a drain on the battery if they do a parasitic draw test, it should have a low 10-20 milliamp draw, if it has a large draw all they have to due is start pulling fuse till the draw goes away and what ever that fuse powers up that is the draw and can be fixed. Pulling a horse trailer will not cause that problem unless you have it lit up like a christmas tree and even then it would blow the trailer light fuses before killing the battery. I have seen alternators check out good then then check out bad. Also GM has a huge problem with their side post batteries leaking acidfrom the positive post. Most techs will just replace the battery with checking the cable, if the cable is corroded inside the insulation it will kill the battery make it look like the battery is bad. Just disconnect the cable and pull off the red cover and see if their is corrosion on it, if so it needs to be replaced. I was the electrical specailist at my dealership. If they have a certified tech they should have been able to fix it.

Tim

let me know what happens.

Big O- Actually I do not have the time to waste. I really wish I did. I work full time, go to school full time, take care of my horse everyday and work out twice a day. I just try to schedule it on a day I can do homework :) I have taken it to two dealerships thus far and still no sign of repair. The problem with taking it to someone else is I do not have the money right now. I have to keep it under the free warranty work for as long as possible. Thanks for your suggestion!! I think if the lawsuit does not work I am just going to sell this one and get another. I am sure there are some guys out there that would like to buy a cheap SS w/ a problem and go to town trying to figure out what is going on.

Tawss-Thanks! The techs at Chevy tell me they look for a drain each time I go to get the truck inspected. Also, the "area" certified technician has inspected it twice and still no luck. Also, my attorneys are going to have their expert look inspect it within the next couple months.

Lately I have noticed if I run the a/c for a period of time it kills the battery quicker. Also, if I have the key turned to the point where I can hear the radio-the battery will completely die w/in five to ten minutes. Die as in the lights, windows, radio, etc. do not work. Once I was driving down the road and the panel flashed "battery not charging."

Anyways- I will keep you all up to date. Thanks for all the suggestions. Hopefully this will be over soon!

Archived