9 batteries later.....

Aspentaylor

:banghead:

Hi Aspen...

Just wondered, do you have an aftermarket aarm?  Is it a Code-Alarm w/auto window down and remote start?

Because I had a problem with my alarm module related to the installation-it had a major current draw with the key off, and my battery would die after 5 days sitting..

This was in my 2003, not my SS.

Just brainstorming and trying to help.

I wish I did! At least there might be an explanation. Thank you for your suggestion though. It is much appreciated. As of right now, I have to jump start it every time I want to go somewhere. It is ridiculous! And I do not have time to get the battery replaced until the 19th. :banghead::banghead:

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At first thought, I believe you have a dead short to ground somewhere...If it were me, Id have the dealership put a voltmeter on, and take out every single fuse until the draw is found. Of course, this could be a negative battery cable problem, which would mean the battery isnt being charged. What does your dash voltage gauge indicate while the truck is running?

I heard something a while back about alternator wires being too thin and breaking---I assume this has been checked?

What needs to be done, is to determine if you have a battery-drain situation while the key is off, or that the battery is just not being charged. Doing these tests thoroughly will determine the direction to go in fixing your problem.

A current draw with the key off is not that hard to find, on any vehicle...sounds like you are dealing with morons...have you thought about taking your truck to another dealer??

Oh, crap! Don't let them have missed this one---is there a fuse or a fusible link for the alternator/charging system?

I can't tell anything until I get a look at a wiring diagram...

If they put you through all this and that turns out to be the problem, Im going to join you in :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: _their_ heads against a svc dept wall...

Good luck--I will research it further when I get back to the states...

Here we go...my records.

Started w/ the battery that came with the truck.

1st visit: 9/4/03 Stated my keys were too heavy. Did not replace, but did something to the computer.

2/9/04 Battery No.2

5/14/04 Battery No. 3

7/7/04 Battery No. 4

7/15/04 Battery No. 5

8/3/04 Was a check up scheduled by GM. Nothing found.

8/27/04 Battery No.6

9/15/04 Charged battery.

10/13/04-Battery No. 7

3/23/05 Battery No.8

4/19/05 Battery No. 9 will be put in the SS.

My bad-only 9 batteries. Its hard to keep track. Plus I forgot that they only charged the battery on one visit and the other they did something with the computer. Blah... So I am on my 8th going to my 9th. Stupid batteries.

Taylor,

Until your dealer can get your problem fixed, you might want to look into this device called Priority Start. What it does is it constantly monitors your battery condition and if it drops to a certain level then it totally disconnects all electrical drain from it. Then it automatically reconnects when you open the door, push on the brake pedal or turn key. It would keep you from having to jump start it all the time and possibly leaving you stranded somewhere.

I had one installed on one of our police cars and it works great.

Ray

P.S., don't let your dealer quit trying to fix your "DEFECTIVE" SS just because you put this device on.

Thanks Ray-I will look into that this summer. School+rising gas=no $$$...right now anyways.

Stealth-Thanks-I will look into that as well. But you have to remember-anything I say to these people goes through one ear and out the other. They really could care less what I have to say. And if it is the problem, I am not only going to put their heads through a wall, but take the one guys new SL500 for exchange for my time spent dealing w/ this crap.

Andrew-thanks for checking on that. Look for another one on the 19th!!! So much fun!

I would think, although not specifically familiar with them, but you may qualify for the lemon law thing.

Thanks! I actually already hired an attorney and suit has been filed. The discovery deadline is the 13th. Then hopefully onto trial if GM does not want to settle....then new truck! Sux to have to go through this, but oh well it happens.

That's cool.  Must've missed that in the thread somewhere.  New trucks are always a good thing.  What will you do without that awesome blue? :tear:

I don't know!!! :cry: That is the one thing I am :mad: about. I guess they will not customize it will they? So...black might be my new color. Hopefully I will know what is going on soon. I want to buy a bowtie, but I do not know what color to get right now :crazy:

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah for me! New battery! Thank goodness b/c I got tired of jumping it every where I went. Made me look like an idiot. Oh yeah...I got pissed......my back window now says....

9 Batteries...still NO settlement.

Thanks GM!!! Like a rock baby!!!

Archived