Pistol advice

bgdsub72

Good caliber .40. However I switch up my carry weapons. I have 3 Sig Sauers, P239 .40 cal, P-220-ST .45, and a Sig Pro 2340 .40 cal. (Seen above, In brewz's post). Depending on what I am doing will determine what I am going to carry. If I am not concerned with who see's it I will carry the 220-ST, its a cannon hard to hide, I do open carry a bit. Thats loaded with 8+1 (8 in magazine + 1 in the pipe), Speer Gold Dot 200 Gr. +P hollow points, 1 extra mag. When I am bouncing I carry the Sig Pro 10+1 loaded with Remington Golden Sabers 180 Gr. Hollowpoints (Same as local Law Enforcement) 2 extra mags, total of 31 rounds on me. The reason for the Sig Pro is more rounds, A .40 cal round is extremly effective good stopping power. Less likely to over penetrate and kill a bystander. And if I am going out on a date or just want to be a bit more discreet, The P239 is perfect 7+1 Again Golden Sabers, carry 1 extra mag. More importaintly LEARN HOW TO USE A WEAPON!!!!!!!!!!! Most gun stores offer classes or know of some, TRAINING IS KEY. Once you have some training try to visit the range monthly, And always inspect and keep it clean. Just my .02

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone have any experience with these guns? A guy at my work is selling all of his pistols except his .40 cals I can pick up any one of these for under $200. Is that a deal?

3-24%20004.jpg

9mm Ruger P95DC

3-24%20005.jpg

I forgot what this one is but its a .45 cal and it is really heavy. it says GOVT on the side.

3-24%20006.jpg

I believe this was a Falcon Millenium .45 cal

has anyone shot any of these and what is a good price? All of them have less than 500 rounds through them and they all look new!

I didn't like my Ruger -- it was really heavy after a while and was more of a street sweeper than I cared for (not super accurate), but mine was also a .45 with a short slide (which that one looks to be). Short slide .45s are tough to handle, IMO -- lots of recoil and if your pulling the trigger with any kind of speed your going to be bouncing stuff everywhere.

Can't actually tell without seeing the markings, but that looks like a Colt 1911 Government model .45 ACP in the middle. Great gun if it is. Look for the colt brand stamp.

If that is in fact a 1911 and is in good shape, I'd buy it. It can be modded extensively for speed and accuracy and will work fine even in stock gv't shape.

Any of those for $200?? :wtf: Makes sense on the Ruger, don't know for the Falcon, but sounds fishy for a colt. Do you trust this guy pretty well?

I got clarification on the models of the other pistols.

The middle one is a Firestorm Govt .45

and the bottom one is a Tarus Millenium PT 145

I just got back from the range today and shot the Glock 22 .40 cal and I love the feel of it but I am not to accurate on it. I also shot the Springfield Armory 1911 .45 cal and I loved it. Seems to be very accurate but I kept having problems with the gun jamming on me. I guess it was dirty...

Springfields are usually very reliable, even when less than perfectly clean. What ammo were you using? I've had issues with the aluminum case stuff jamming, especially when "hot firing" it (lots of rounds with little cool down time).

I was shooting whichester .45 auto ammunitiuon. The guy at the range said that the 1911 was getting pretty old and it was very dirty when I shot it. I guess they were having problems with it jamming with other people too...

best bang for the buck

go get yourself a springfield xd with the 3 inch barrel chambered at .40. you will be happy

if you are on a budget, you can find a 6 shooter chambered in .38/.357 easily for good prices. the upside to the .38 or the .357 is that you can fire (in most revolvers) 38 specials, or 357 magnums both out of the weapon. when target practicing, buy cheap 38, and have your defense load ready in a good, heavy 357.

1911 was getting pretty old and it was very dirty when I shot it. I guess they were having problems with it jamming with other people too...

i've shot gov. issue 1911 that were so old and worn out you could almost here the round rattleing down the barrel, :crazy: but the main thing with autos are that a lot of people keep there mags. loaded to the max all the time. what happends is the spring gets compressed over time and loses it's stiffness and what happens is the wepon will start to jam after a few rounds. you need to rotate your rounds between mags. every few days to allow the spring time to return and expand back to normal. the last thing you want is a jam in the middle of a fire fight :sick::sick:

be safe :thumbs:

:seeya:

asking pistol purchasing advise is like asking what food tastes better A or B...it'a all a matter of taste.

Different guns fit in different hands, well, differently!!! The most important thing I can tell you is before you buy anything...shoot, hold and play with it ( still talking guns here guys :D )

For example...glocks don't fit in my hands well for some reason, but they are awsome well balanced weapons and extremely easy to clean and disassemble...

On the other hand most Smith and Wesson, Springfields, and Kimbers all fit my hands like a glove...it's all about personaly preference!

By all means if money is no object look at an Ed Brown!!!

This is what I am getting next.  Probably in April.  There is no reasonable reason to have this gun but it is just cool.

Magnum Desert Eagle .50AE, 6in Barrel, Matte Chrome

49461.jpg

forget that sissy gas operated gun, if you want a real mans gun, go for this.

THE LARGEST HANDGUN IN THE WORLD.........Smith and Wesson .500

(will run you about 700-800 dollars, but damn fun to shoot)

STmonster_1103J.jpg

it fires a .500 s&w

This is what I am getting next.  Probably in April.  There is no reasonable reason to have this gun but it is just cool.

Magnum Desert Eagle .50AE, 6in Barrel, Matte Chrome

49461.jpg

forget that sissy gas operated gun, if you want a real mans gun, go for this.

THE LARGEST HANDGUN IN THE WORLD.........Smith and Wesson .500

(will run you about 700-800 dollars, but damn fun to shoot)

STmonster_1103J.jpg

it fires a .500 s&w

I haven't fired one of those but the gun shop here in town had one awhile back and I held it. The thing was HUGE. It would definately knock a bad guy down. :crackup:

It is a really nice gun. Not to mention it is only a little over half the price of the Desert Eagle.

Archived