408 power

zippy

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
maybe if i showed a response on how many people wanted to see a dyno run (true awd dyno) of this 408... how about it guys, post away.

You're worse than grippy, "Did a great mod this weekend and took some pics, don't know if anyone wants to see them or not...." :uhoh:

Of course we want to see a dyno. :thumbs:

i'm expecting that from about idle to 4k the 6.7L is considerably stronger, from 4k-5k, they are about equal, and from 5k-6k it's a toss up. in a race the 408 would jump out so far ahead off the line i'm not sure a 6.0L could catch back up with it.

maybe if i showed a response on how many people wanted to see a dyno run (true awd dyno) of this 408... how about it guys, post away.

You're worse than grippy, "Did a great mod this weekend and took some pics, don't know if anyone wants to see them or not...." :uhoh:

Of course we want to see a dyno. :thumbs:

:crackup::withstupid: Do it Zip!

i'm expecting that from about idle to 4k the 6.7L is considerably stronger, from 4k-5k, they are about equal, and from 5k-6k it's a toss up. in a race the 408 would jump out so far ahead off the line i'm not sure a 6.0L could catch back up with it.

I'd say that since 2bseen did a 12.7x NA run with his 408 with only moderate mods, medium size cam, nothing crazy on the heads, that your 408 would not only beat the 6.0L, but would be at least a second faster with the same mods.

Not to mention what a 408 with big cam, high CFM (320+) flowing heads, and the normal bolt-ons of headers, better muffler, cat work, etc.. would do.

the cam 2bseen used is considerably bigger than the one in this 408 if i'm correct and he has ported heads. the 6.0L that was in this truck went 13.5. to go a second faster that would make me .2 ahead of 2bseen with a much higher stall, bigger cam, and ported heads. not going to happen. at this point i'm only seeing around 35-37lbs min. of air through the maf. the tuning i've done on j4nash's truck has gotten his 6.0L to around 42lbs min. and more in texas heat. i was doing some more tuning today and found the cam is so small that the truck at a stock idle rpm of 525 will idle smoother than the stock 6.0L did. you can't hear any lope at all. even with the cam that small the truck has outstanding power. the converter will probably need to be sent back though. it's only stalling at 2400 and yet even that low the truck tries to spin the tires on launch. if you have anything at all on the tires such as dirt or water it will spin them with ease. the same goes with turning a corner. (i found that out by accident in front of a cop). i'd be happy to see a 13.2 from the 408 in it's current configuration. i'd say with ported heads and a bigger cam a low 12 isn't out of the question.

zip - given this experience with the truck you're tuning now....curious what you think a perfect 408 cam for a stock-stalled vehicle would be? For example, my 5.3L is perfect with a 205/212, the 6.0L seems to be perfect with a 210/218 or so....what cam that would give steady power from ~550 RPM's through ~6200 RPM's or so on a 408? 216/222? 218/224? (as always, I'm concerned with gas mileage as well as smog)

i would say look at something like the XR265HR or the thunder racing cheater cam. for meeting emissions and getting good milage you'd probably want one around that range. you'd be keeping your shift points to 6k and below also which would be nice. torque off idle would just be rediculous. i'd recomend an LPE 2.8 pulley to go with it for the radix.

Archived