408 power

zippy

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

company wise i only try to recomend something that is fairly well known in the field. comp cams, LPE, and thunder racing are all companies that have sold so many that there are dyno sheets and track times all over with their parts involved.

running off what you say zippy, you know what would be cool are sheets that show the difference from n/a cams, SC cams, and turbo cams. Id be really curious to see the true difference as opposed to the hear say theory. I know no one wants to RD this but still would be cool.

i plan to pull that out here soon to send that back. even with the low stall it comes out very hard. last night i was tuning it and got the front tires to break loose coming out from a stop light. in the same motion the wideband flew to the back seat horizontaly. :jester:

For the people running 408's are you using the stock stall convertors, and what are they stalling at ? if not what size is recommended.

I'm using a Yank 2600 TT. I would guess it is stalling at about 3k, but not sure because I haven't had much time on it.

I'd love Thunder cams if I had a f-body or corvette. They don't do too much for the trucks, as is the same for most of your larger companies. The market isn't there compared to the other. That's the main reason I like personal design vs off-the-shelf. I've listened to Comp's recommendations, problem is there's no consistency. Your recs are good, but the off-the-shelf cam is just too generic for me.

Well its at the track and not doing the best. 13.8 right now. with a 1.9 60ft converter is stalling at 2400 instead of 3k like it is suppose to do. With the cam that I am running it sounds like the top end is falling off.

Temps at the track are in the high 80s

More to come.

I guess it depends on what you were expecting.

The heads and cam are not that much above what stock heads and cam are. I don't think that is all that bad for what you have.

I still think it will be a full second better than a 6.0L with the same heads and cam, which is what I meant a few posts back.

I guess it depends on what you were expecting.

The heads and cam are not that much above what stock heads and cam are.  I don't think that is all that bad for what you have.

I still think it will be a full second better than a 6.0L with the same heads and cam, which is what I meant a few posts back.

I was at least expecting low 13s.

The TC isn't performing like it should at all.

The heads are completly stock but has 918 springs.

I dont think it will be a second quicker than I was running this past fall and spring with the 6.0 since i was already running mid 13s with it.

if thats the case. when i put the bigger cam in and heads on and with the correct 3k stall I will be in the 11s. It would be great if it did but I really dont think so.

well, i'm back. it certainly doesn't run a second faster and i wouldn't expect it to. parish went 10.91 with the 6.0L and a 75 shot. he went 10.65 with the 408 and a 100 shot. using more nitrous and the cubes, far from a second. 2bseen had run a 13.3 or so with the 6.0L and the 408 only got him a 12.77 using a bigger cam and better heads than he had with the 6.0L. again, far from a full second. with the correct converter in here i only expect a 13.2 out of this with the current cam. the converter we pulled out was stalling much higher than the vigilante we put in there. i will go back to the trailblazer converter while the vigilante is out being fixed. with that in there, the shift kit, and more tuning i expect to go a 13.2. until it gets more cam i don't see 12's being possible. on the same note though, it's doing these times getting around 18mpg or so on the highway and is able to idle at 525rpm as smooth as a stock 6.0L with no lope at all. i have bumped the idle up some though since the underdrive pulleys don't make the alternator happy. the underdrive pulley may be one of the next swaps though. i feel i may be getting some faulse KR* readings from it. either way it will be alot of work to get the tune where i'm happy with it, but i will and it'll be as perfect as i can get it.

that would be cool. you'd have to put a 6.0L in yours though with your heads and cam to do that. :jester: have that done by next week? :pop:

i tell ya, driving this 6.7L is very nice though. this is how the SS should have come. you're going to love driving yours ben. :thumbs: even at 3.00 a gallon, i don't care.

the only comment i could think of while reading this was what zippy pointed out, you are running 13 secs and getting 18mpg. I think thats fock'n great!!! Putting that big cam in just to get it to low 13 at the expense of 7-8mpg isnt really that important is it?

Ben, im curious what kind of gas mileage have you been getting? I personally saw 7.2 city driving my last tank.

Archived