408 power

zippy

i'm not sure ben has had enough miles with his yet to get milage numbers. :confused:

one good way to look at this is a 6.0L with a radix only swap would net around a 14.2-13.9. this will easily run that number with better milage and less stress. the forged bottom end in this would take running at below 6k without breaking a sweat. as for towing, this would also be a better route than a boosted application. once you're into boost you have to go to power enrichment which means lots of fuel. this 408 would lug a fairly heavy trailer down the road in overdrive and probably still get 12mpg or so doing it.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i'm not sure ben has had enough miles with his yet to get milage numbers.  :confused:

one good way to look at this is a 6.0L with a radix only swap would net around a 14.2-13.9. this will easily run that number with better milage and less stress. the forged bottom end in this would take running at below 6k without breaking a sweat. as for towing, this would also be a better route than a boosted application. once you're into boost you have to go to power enrichment which means lots of fuel. this 408 would lug a fairly heavy trailer down the road in overdrive and probably still get 12mpg or so doing it.

I'm like Haynss, what almost 3 ton vehicle gets 18 MPG, much less run in the 13's..I think that's great but I am biased :D:D I forsee lower ET's and also lower gas mileage for Matt's SS. :sigh:

at 3.00 a gallon it's of interest to me.  :dunno:

Usually an individual who modifies vehicles, doesn't really care too much. I figure as long as I'm getting better than Makani or Erik, I'm doing good. :D

Ever get the 60' any lower than 1.9?

nope, it was almost 2.

as for the cam and heads. I am thinking of keeping the cam and stock heads in the closet. put in the big cam and new heads on and see how big of a change in gas milage and power it gets. I can always swap back if its not worth the gains.

I don't have a real big cam (230/234 590/594 I think) but I am only getting 13.0 mpg on my truck. My stall in alot bigger 3400 it might help on 60ft but I am spinning out of the hole. I changed my window pill to 3400 this last weekend and got back to 1.6s but still not to 1.62s that I ran with the 6.0 motor. I am going to go to a bigger cam maybe next weekend and have been thinking of trying a new set of heads, I have only had 4 sets so far. I went 13.2s on the 6.0 and went 12.7s on the 408 so it is hard to gain more than .5sec faster just going from a 6.0 to 408 with the same heads and cam.

I don't have a real big cam (230/234 590/594 I think) but I am only getting 13.0 mpg on my truck.  My stall in alot bigger 3400 it might help on 60ft but I am spinning out of the hole.  I changed my window pill to 3400 this last weekend and got back to 1.6s but still not to 1.62s that I ran with the 6.0 motor.  I am going to go to a bigger cam maybe next weekend and have been thinking of trying a new set of heads, I have only had 4 sets so far.  I went 13.2s on the 6.0 and went 12.7s on the 408 so it is hard to gain more than .5sec faster just going from a 6.0 to 408 with the same heads and cam.

isn't your cam and heads different from what you ran in the 6.0L?

nope, it was almost 2. 

as for the cam and heads.  I am thinking of keeping the cam and stock heads in the closet.  put in the big cam and new heads on and see how big of a change in gas milage and power it gets.  I can always swap back if its not worth the gains.

What are the specs on your cam - I remember you calling my 236/243, not very big?

What about the heads? Just a p&p on stock heads, or are they stgII/III with bigger intake and exhaust valves? Just p&p'd stock I wouldn't guess would make all that much of a diff.

nope, it was almost 2. 

as for the cam and heads.  I am thinking of keeping the cam and stock heads in the closet.  put in the big cam and new heads on and see how big of a change in gas milage and power it gets.  I can always swap back if its not worth the gains.

What are the specs on your cam - I remember you calling my 236/243, not very big?

What about the heads? Just a p&p on stock heads, or are they stgII/III with bigger intake and exhaust valves? Just p&p'd stock I wouldn't guess would make all that much of a diff.

The cam is 230/236 .591/.601 114 lsa.

When i told you your cam wasn't that big I think you were running the 228/223

Not sure on the heads yet.

Archived