Silverado SS single cab............

ChevyZr2001

Yes the ole gen1 vs 454ss battle was a close, close race with both in stock trim.

The tricky part of that is the 454ss was horribly detuned is stock form, the gen1 L wasn't it came from the factory pretty warm.

In a $$ for $$ mod war the 454 comes out on top every time, that's why I drive what I drive. :D

To date their hasn't been another truck made which has the ability of the 454SS to be modified. :chevy:

RF

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Demon that was my point exactly. His truck didn't mean anything to the relevance of the post he argued over. It was a "yeah well that apple is ok, but my orange is ten times better." kind of response that he had and i just wanted to point that out to him.

RF i agree with you on the tuning of the 454SS. Of course it should be faster with a little work, cuz no offense (i'm sure you'll agree), the numbers from the factory sucked compared to potential.

I never did say that ALL lightnings were faster. I simply said they were tough cookies. Which i think that statement is pretty solid.

-Joe

I totally agree Joe, from the factory the 454SS was a tow truck.

In fact the drivetrain was identicle to the ton truck in every way.

But being as it was a large CID engine, and the aftermarket had been supporting the big block for over 20 some odd years it was and still is stupidly simple to make whatever power level you desire. And the beauty is no other engine produced since the early 70's will support the power in a normally aspirated form that the 454 will.

That's why I have what I have, sure I like Chevy's too but i'm no brand nazi.

All in all I'd swap the truck for a sweet Cuda in a heart beat. ;)

And I do like the Gen2 L, in fact if i had to buy a new truck right now it would without a doubt be a gen2.

There are a few issues that should be resolved on the Gen2 in my opinon but right now imho it's the best thing going.

RF

The idea of the regular cab ss prompted me to order a regular cab short box 2wd with a 5.3, 3.73's, and a locking diff. i plan to dyno it in stock form and run it at the track completely stock as well as compare 0 to 60 and 60 to 0 stopping numbers with a g-tech. the dyno will be done at the rear wheels at a local facility and the track testing, well there are 3 local dragstrips so no problem there. for the smoothess and traction reason i'd also talk them into letting me get my 0-60 and 60-0 g-tech numbers. if i can find a way with the tech 2 to run the ss without a front driveshaft or without turning the front somehow i will try to get one from work dyno'd. i feel the 5.3 will be almost the same or just a touch lower hp at the wheels due to it only being 2wd. i think the reasoning for the awd aside from usability is the durability issue's. the 8.6 rear diff may have problems with the LQ9 under heavy abuse. i know the awd system will have no problems as you can get a regular cab 4wd with the selectable auto 4wd transfercase. it will not be very cool if they ss regular cab gets the 395hp it has and only has the 6 speed option. the truck will be too light in the rear too work well with a stick other than the fun factor, but the 4L65e probably can't handle that much torque without warranty concerns. i know modified the trans can handle it but gm won't do that. the 4L80E is best left in other trucks as it has terrible efficiency for drag, is heavy, and has terrible gearing. the 4L80e lacks a good first gear ratio and it seems the 4L60e/4L65e seems to have forgotten the need for a second gear if you look at the 1/2 ratio split.

What i'd like to see is an LS6 (aluminum version of the 5.3 is already in the trailblazer) or LQ9 with the LS6 heads and camshaft. i'd like to see it with a 4L65e (manual would be nice, but difficult in a truck to get them to work right and the traction issue) and the 8.6 or 9.5 rear diff, but preferrably the 8.6 for less drag and less weight. a 3.73 or 4.10 gear would be nice with a detroit locker option or gov-lock. bucket seats from the ss with center console to make the bose optional and have the steering wheel controls with automatic climate control. i like the 20" wheel idea and all, but hey not on a 2wd as the idea behind the 2wd aside from weight and power would be to burn the tires when the desire arises. 20" tires are not only very expensive to replace, but not easy to find if your on a road trip. some larger 16's or a 17 inch wheel combo i'd be happy with. it would also be nice to see it with the brakes from the 8600 gvw truck or even the suv 1500 series brakes as they are larger than the truck 1500 series. a true dual exhuast would be nice and not that difficult, but even a 3 inch system by corsa which is now sold through gm would be nice since a true ss has to sound good also. getting rid of the intake silencer would also be nice so that a cold air kit wouldn't be that big a deal (come on, who would be bothered by a bit more intake noise). a simple 2 inch or so drop would be nice, but even at stock height people could just lower them.

just my thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

At the 2002 SEMA show gm showed a regular cab SS with a 395 hp 6.0. I'll order one the first day i can. If i'm not mistaken doesn't an 03 Furd Lightstick have 380hp WITH that little supercharger on it? I know there isn't a production 395 hp 6.0 chevy SS, but what if? And whos to say chevy couldnt add a eaton twin screw and put out another 100 hp? That's why fords completly reworking the triton line of motors because they've been surpassed by chevy and mopar and have reached their limits. Of course now their making three valve per cylinder heads but wow, chevy could do that too.

At the 2002 SEMA show gm showed a regular cab SS with a 395 hp 6.0.  I'll order one the first day i can. If i'm not mistaken doesn't an 03 Furd Lightstick have 380hp WITH that little supercharger on it?  I know there isn't a production 395 hp 6.0 chevy SS, but what if?  And whos to say chevy couldnt add a eaton twin screw and put out another 100 hp?  That's why fords completly reworking the triton line of motors because they've been surpassed by chevy and mopar and have reached their limits.  Of course now their making three valve per cylinder heads but wow, chevy could do that too.

One thing we have made more than clear here (and this is not a flame just catching you up) is simply this:

What Chevy CAN or CANNOT do has NOTHING to do with this. Its what Chevy WILL and WILL NOT do that is the problem most people see here.

Now as for the regualr cab, yea, thats a bad truck, but as most engine builders tell you, when you have a Naturally Asperated small block pushing 400 horse then that engine was not built to be blown. To simply assume you could slap a blower on it and add 100 horse is simply not plauseable. Could you use forced induction, sure, but on that engine your proally looking at 2-3 lbs of boost and maybe 50 horse max (and you can forget about pump gas). This is just speculation, but you have to understand that the Lightning's engine was built to be blown, they also could put out a 400 horse NA engine, they just decided to go the blower route, their reasons are their own. I personally suspect that it has to do with the ease of modification and avaliblity to expand power for little money. And theres just something about blowers that gets us truck guys' hearts thumpin.

My point is, the Chevy vs. Ford battle is no longer an issue of who has better engineers and who can build bigger better more powerful engines. Its politics, and its a game of cat and mouse. Each company is going to do just enough to edge out the other, but neither is going to go seriously overboard, its simply not economical.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone seen the new lightning, 500hp, 6-speed, all wheel independent suspention. The only advantage chevy has is the AWD, and unless they make the reg cab 400hp the AWD just slows it down. This is one catergory that ford has just out-done chevy, even dodge has the 6-speed and the 500hp. I never thought i'd say this and i hope i never will but chevy really needs to take a hint or 12 from ford, hell even dodge has kicked their ass in this race. Unless chevy puts on the AWS and another 150hp every ss owner will prey that they don't have to race a lightning for fear of embarrassment. And im not just bagging on chevy, i will never buy anything but chevy, I just think they need to get their head out of their ass or they're gonna be in for some serious dissapointment.

Archived