Silverado SS single cab............

ChevyZr2001

That is a bad azz truck. B) I don't see why GM wouldn't put it in to production. They need something to compeat with the Lightning. But i guess well see. ;)

Hey...Here is a reason they wouldn't build....The same reason they let the Camaro die! GM sucks..... :crazy:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One thing we have made more than clear here (and this is not a flame just catching you up) is simply this:

What Chevy CAN or CANNOT do has NOTHING to do with this. Its what Chevy WILL and WILL NOT do that is the problem most people see here.

Now as for the regualr cab, yea, thats a bad truck, but as most engine builders tell you, when you have a Naturally Asperated small block pushing 400 horse then that engine was not built to be blown. To simply assume you could slap a blower on it and add 100 horse is simply not plauseable. Could you use forced induction, sure, but on that engine your proally looking at 2-3 lbs of boost and maybe 50 horse max (and you can forget about pump gas). This is just speculation, but you have to understand that the Lightning's engine was built to be blown, they also could put out a 400 horse NA engine, they just decided to go the blower route, their reasons are their own. I personally suspect that it has to do with the ease of modification and avaliblity to expand power for little money. And theres just something about blowers that gets us truck guys' hearts thumpin.

My point is, the Chevy vs. Ford battle is no longer an issue of who has better engineers and who can build bigger better more powerful engines. Its politics, and its a game of cat and mouse. Each company is going to do just enough to edge out the other, but neither is going to go seriously overboard, its simply not economical.

400 horse small block eh. Personally I be to differ and would bet that u can slap a blower on the SS and have it produce 100HP or more. Example? Lingenfelter Corvette Supercharger package. With 5lbs of boost the z06 produces 520HP. (405hp small block). Whats to say the 6.0L Iron small block cant do the same. And the iron 6.0L can probably handle a bit more boost too. Hell there is a member in the corvetteforum with a the lingenfelter SC package with 8lbs of boost (instead of 5lbs) on his z06 and it dynoed at over 510 rWHP. Whats to say the truck cant get similar numbers.

One thing we have made more than clear here (and this is not a flame just catching you up) is simply this:

What Chevy CAN or CANNOT do has NOTHING to do with this.  Its what Chevy WILL and WILL NOT do that is the problem most people see here.

Now as for the regualr cab, yea, thats a bad truck, but as most engine builders tell you, when you have a Naturally Asperated small block pushing 400 horse then that engine was not built to be blown.  To simply assume you could slap a blower on it and add 100 horse is simply not plauseable.  Could you use forced induction, sure, but on that engine your proally looking at 2-3 lbs of boost and maybe 50 horse max (and you can forget about pump gas).  This is just speculation, but you have to understand that the Lightning's engine was built to be blown, they also could put out a 400 horse NA engine, they just decided to go the blower route, their reasons are their own.  I personally suspect that it has to do with the ease of modification and avaliblity to expand power for little money.  And theres just something about blowers that gets us truck guys' hearts thumpin.

My point is, the Chevy vs. Ford battle is no longer an issue of who has better engineers and who can build bigger better more powerful engines.  Its politics, and its a game of cat and mouse.  Each company is going to do just enough to edge out the other, but neither is going to go seriously overboard, its simply not economical.

400 horse small block eh. Personally I be to differ and would bet that u can slap a blower on the SS and have it produce 100HP or more. Example? Lingenfelter Corvette Supercharger package. With 5lbs of boost the z06 produces 520HP. (405hp small block). Whats to say the 6.0L Iron small block cant do the same. And the iron 6.0L can probably handle a bit more boost too. Hell there is a member in the corvetteforum with a the lingenfelter SC package with 8lbs of boost (instead of 5lbs) on his z06 and it dynoed at over 510 rWHP. Whats to say the truck cant get similar numbers.

The 6.0l Truck engine is a far Cry from the LS-6 engine in the Z06. Your comparing apples to oranges. And if you'll go back and check the specs on that conept SS I think you'll find that the compression ratio is already pushing the limits of pump gas (if memory serves) so just slapping a blower on is going to be pretty tricky. Like I said I doubt you'll see more than a 50 horse gain with very little boost. An option would be to swap out the heads and then run more boost, depending on the trade-off that might be the way to go.

:thumbs:

What Chevy CAN or CANNOT do has NOTHING to do with this.  Its what Chevy WILL and WILL NOT do that is the problem most people see here.

Now as for the regualr cab, yea, thats a bad truck, but as most engine builders tell you, when you have a Naturally Asperated small block pushing 400 horse then that engine was not built to be blown.  To simply assume you could slap a blower on it and add 100 horse is simply not plauseable.  Could you use forced induction, sure, but on that engine your proally looking at 2-3 lbs of boost and maybe 50 horse max (and you can forget about pump gas).  This is just speculation, but you have to understand that the Lightning's engine was built to be blown, they also could put out a 400 horse NA engine, they just decided to go the blower route, their reasons are their own.  I personally suspect that it has to do with the ease of modification and avaliblity to expand power for little money.  And theres just something about blowers that gets us truck guys' hearts thumpin.

My point is, the Chevy vs. Ford battle is no longer an issue of who has better engineers and who can build bigger better more powerful engines.  Its politics, and its a game of cat and mouse.  Each company is going to do just enough to edge out the other, but neither is going to go seriously overboard, its simply not economical.

The 6.0l Truck engine is a far Cry from the LS-6 engine in the Z06. Your comparing apples to oranges. And if you'll go back and check the specs on that conept SS I think you'll find that the compression ratio is already pushing the limits of pump gas (if memory serves) so just slapping a blower on is going to be pretty tricky. Like I said I doubt you'll see more than a 50 horse gain with very little boost. An option would be to swap out the heads and then run more boost, depending on the trade-off that might be the way to go.

:thumbs:

compression ratio on z06 = 10.5:1

Compression Ration on SS = 10.0:1

Let the Supercharging begin! :thumbs:

Is that the ratio on the current SS or on the Concept 395 horse SS??

If its on the concept then memory failed to serve...... :eek::cheers::thumbs:

hehe yeah forgot to specify that is compression ratio of current SS

the Compression ratio on the Regular cab is identical to the z06 compression ratio 10.5:1.

Still supercharger friendly ;) :cheers:

Is that the ratio on the current SS or on the Concept 395 horse SS??

If its on the concept then memory failed to serve...... :eek:  :cheers:  :thumbs:

hehe yeah forgot to specify that is compression ratio of current SS

the Compression ratio on the Regular cab is identical to the z06 compression ratio 10.5:1.

Still supercharger friendly ;) :cheers:

If I picked up one of the current SS's i'd deffinately look into Magnacharger.

But I think with the 395 horse Concept I'd find some other things to do first. As amazing as a blower sounds inside the cab, theres something special about beating a Lighting Naturally Asperated. :thumbs: (in another truck)

• 4 months later...

The single cab SS will be a RWD. It is available on SEMA.com, but don't quote me on that. It will be under 400hp and sell for approx 32-35k. This will be a barebone no frills ( ie., no carpet) package. To all fellow chevy lovers: Chevy will not attempt to build anything to try to compete with the Lightning. Ford, on the other hand has commited to very high performance in the years to come both in autos and trucks. They will chase the Dodge SSR no matter how hard it will be. The SSR in the meantime will come out with a 600 hp V-10 Hemi maybe in 2005. Chevy has openly stated it will pursue the yuppie market, SUV type buyers. I am told Chevy dealers are leaning toward hi-performance shops to enhance the trucks like Chapman Chevrolet in Arizona. They give their trucks to a shop and they modify them to challenge the sound barrier. I almost bought on from them. They cost approx. 33k after all the work is done Call a guy named Nick Bruce out there and he will fill you in.

The single cab SS will be a RWD. It is available on SEMA.com, but don't quote me on that. It will be under 400hp and sell for approx 32-35k. This will be a barebone no frills ( ie., no carpet) package. To all fellow chevy lovers: Chevy will not attempt to build anything to try to compete with the Lightning. Ford, on the other hand has commited to very high performance in the years to come both in autos and trucks. They will chase the Dodge SSR no matter how hard it will be. The SSR in the meantime will come out with a 600 hp V-10 Hemi maybe in 2005. Chevy has openly stated it will pursue the yuppie market, SUV type buyers. I am told Chevy dealers are leaning toward hi-performance shops to enhance the trucks like Chapman Chevrolet in Arizona. They give their trucks to a shop and they modify them to challenge the sound barrier. I almost bought on from them. They cost approx. 33k after all the work is done Call a guy named Nick Bruce out there and he will fill you in.

Or give Sam O’Connell a call at Chapman Chevrolet, he is the project coordinator for the CST trucks does all the SS’s and Silverado’s suburban, all of them. I talked to him on Sunday and asked if it was possible to put the CST package on my SS and he says bring it in and will get it done… :cool::thumbs: so now it is just a matter or $$. :cheers:

Sam has a couple of SC SS’s on the lot right now if anyone is curious to test drive one before purchase. I have not gone down there yet to test drive but I plan on doing so on Friday, Sam says the SS just plain fly’s :eek: with the ASM performance package and the magnacharger!

I’ll have to call and find out what the SC SS’s are selling for probably listing at around $45,000 :eek: before rebates and haggling. I imagine you could probably go out the door with one for around $39,000 or so.

Edit:

Way to go. :thumbs:

BenKey

*Elite SS Member*

Group: Members

Member No.: 1677

Darric,

Don't have Chapman do it for God's sakes. They are just the middleman. Take it directly to AZ Speed and Marine (the folks who do Chapmans installs). Save yourself some $$. :thumbs:

Archived