Why buy a silerado SS?????????????

orlando

There is a reason Dodge makes the R/T version of their vehicles,

There is a reason Ford makes the SVT line up

I am the reason Chevy makes the SS!

when I buy something I buy top of the line loaded to the max vehicles. and besides I work on hundreds of cars a month at work and the Dodge and Ford vehicles in my opinion are put together cheep! I could never buy a Jap POS, (dad has worked for US Steel for 35+ years and that money raised me so I have to be loyal to American made products! even though it was built in Canada.)

thats my thoughts.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:withstupid: I would have to agree... but I would also say if you don't simply love the SS for what it is (a totally unique chevy truck with great looks) then don't buy one. Buy what thrills you and if that something is foreign, well that's your problem :chevy: . JMO

I purchased my SS 2 months after graduation. Discounts= GM Discount, Demo Vehicle w/ 3,400 miles, GM Loyaltiy, GM Credit Card. The sticker price dropped substantially for me. I used to cover 12 states for work, I liked the fact that I rarely saw an SS driving on the highways. I saw lots of Corvettes, a few more Lightenings and Ford Harley trucks. Lots and lots of Dodge Hemi trucks. I am disappointed that my friend w/ 4 door diesel spend ~$600 on a programmer and at ~70 mph he walks by me. Granted my truck is stock but to achieve the performance I would have to spend some cash. Test drive one then buy one... I skipped the test drive and just bouht it.

Because I had nothing better to do with my money and me and the wife were running short of things to fight about :jester:

Bought the SS = problem solved. :D

:withstupid:

We went looking for a new truck, Z71, Avalanche, 2500hd Crew and finally SSS.

Drove everything else first, then the SSS. I made sure that my wife drove each of them as well. The SSS was the one that caught her attention driving it. First words out of her mouth, "Did you see how fast it got to 60!" True story. :D

We still argue about the color though ;) . She wanted a red one to match her Camaro SS vert. :jester:

i dont think anybody mentioned it, but unless you live where everybody has a vettes, vipers, and porsches the girls love it :D besides i could stick a viper engine in my truck if i wanted. it just take more work than ir eally willing to put in. and more money that i have

When I was shopping for a truck I was eyeing very closely the R/T-10 Ram, I don't need a serious tow vehicle so an 'urban hauler' is more what I was looking for. But reality required that I needed room for more than just two and the only other product on the market at the time was either the SS or the Harley F-150. To me the Harley was 'dated' in its styling (I still think that) and there was *no* way I was going to drive a "4-door" so that pretty much sealed my choice to the SS. Yes I cried for a month over the fact that the SS did not have big block power and the cornering could be better. :sigh: Yes it could have also been a few grand cheaper...

Then after I bought my SS they came out with the 4-dr SRT-10 Ram :lol: That really made me wonder, I was considering a trade-in...

On the upside the SS AWD is very important to me, I got to really liking it in my '99 Expedition and I have a job where I might have to drive anywhere in any weather at any moment, so that was a huge plus. The last factor that cinched the deal for me was the exterior styling, it borrows very heavily from the '70 Chevy pickup (one of my all-time personal favorites) and I just love the faceted/cut look of the body, it fits my style/personality to a T. And the SS never fails to fetch the compliments.

And the GenIII is a fantastic platform to play with, lots of potential and I just can't leave things alone there so I did not feel like I was buying a dead-end. I actually like to cam my own vehicles, so the fact that the original 'configuration' of the LQ9 was a bit soft did not bother me, I bought it knowing I would dive into it. I planned on adding another 150hp over time (at least :devil: ) and I figure when all the receipts are added up I'll have spent the same as if I bought the 4-dr SRT-10 Ram in the first place.

Mr. P. :)

I guess 0-60 time does not bother me that much sub-seven is just fine- AWD kicks ass. I can come around a corner at 50 punch it and not loose it at all. First time I did that it almost tossed me in the passenger seat it hooked up so fast. Plus this truck handles better than some cars and I can tow the boat. Looks cool, sounds cool, fun to drive, comfy and the best lookign truck on the road. The RT/10 was a blast but lacked the fit and finish and the lighting is not even in production anymore and you can betthey will pull out some tricks from the SS when it returns.

For me my SS is a do-it-all vehicle. I drive it every day. I use it as a truck when need be. I can fit in at any car cruise. It handles well and runs better than most people think. For me it does alot of everything fairly well. :)

The main point that sold the SS for me is the all around sport truck. Sure it may not be as fast as a lightning or a srt-10 ram but if I wanted true performance why look at a truck, you can get a whole bunch of performance cars (some used of course) like ls1 f-bodies, mustang cobras, corvettes, m3s the list goes on. One major selling point of this truck for me was the awd. I love the ability to use the truck all year round. Sure you could get a 4x4 but for city driving with snow, awd is the best. Ford/Dodge don't offer an awd, so thats what I was looking at. 345hp 380 tq may not be up with the other trucks, but its still decent, underpowered not really high 14s for a pickup that you can drive everyday is pretty damn good in my opinion. The SS also offered all the regular capabilities of the silverado such as towing, payload etc. I looked hard at an SRT-10 but came to the conclusion that I couldn't use it half the year. The SS looks good, got a fully loaded trim, and can easily be boosted up to srt-10 status if power is all you are looking for. From what I can sense you want a more powerful truck, if awd is not a concern for you, I'd look at other options. If you really like the SS look, buy one a do some work on it and you'll have a SSleeper.

It was all about heritage. A long time ago I had a 90 model SS...then in 03 I got me an 03 reg cab swb and thought I would 're create' a 2003 version of the 90...well, that wasn't happening. No matter how much I spent that 5.3 was never gonna be an SS.

It was this year's first Daytona 500 that broke my resistance to get one. Seeing those 3 Chevys cross the finish line first gave me all I needed to go and get the real deal.

It might not be the perfect truck, but it is MY perfect truck. I could drive whatever I wanted up to about $70k and I would rather have this than anything else atm...

It was all about heritage.  A long time ago I had a 90 model SS...then in 03 I got me an 03 reg cab swb and thought I would 're create' a 2003 version of the 90...well, that wasn't happening.  No matter how much I spent that 5.3 was never gonna be an SS. 

It was this year's first Daytona 500 that broke my resistance to get one.  Seeing those 3 Chevys cross the finish line first gave me all I needed to go and get the real deal.

It might not be the perfect truck, but it is MY perfect truck.  I could drive whatever I wanted up to about $70k and I would rather have this than anything else atm...

Some good reasons thanks for the input! It seems styling for some,interior for some,awd for some and some for the power. Nice mix. That to me seems like a good alround truck. ;)

Style, class, and the Color.. :D I have two friends with lightnings, both wish they had AWD, and a nicer interior, which the SSS has. I met a guy over the summer with the SRT-10(non quad cab) and he wished he had the extra room. So, the SSS seems to have a bit of something everyone wants. I would have prefered a reg AWD but, this works well for me, and I love my SSS all the way.

Archived