2006 Silverado SS - Intimidator

bigvette

Gentlemen and Ladies,

Haven't posted for quite awhile. But I'm back and have a few questions.. With GM's 0% sale - I have found a 2006 Intimidator SS, and am seriously considering getting my 2nd SS. Questions involve performance differences between the 2-wd and the all-wd. Gas milage differences. handling differences. Any other dfferences that you-all have found.. I traded my 03 ss when gas got out of control and picked up a Impala SS Indy edition, but had a terrible experience with the paint on the car. Anyway, I'm currently riding in a 05 silverado Z-71 with the 5.3 HO engine .. I just don't like the performance differences between the 5.3 and the 6.0. My current truck has 3"42 gears and even with Bryan's tune, there is just too much "slush" in the trans. All be it to say - I've missed my SS since I traded it.. This GM sale allows ne to get a new one and save a few bucks per month in payments.... Any input that you have would be greatly received and enjoyed.. Thanks in advance for you replies...

I don't see handling differences much, but there might be a little. The gas milage will be a little bit better because of just being 2WD vs AWD. The 2WD will not be as quick out of the whole because the tires might spin a little, but overall the truck should be quicker because it is a little lighter than the AWD version.

Make sure its BLACK!! :D

Teddy

mpg differences would be too minimal really to compare, although 2wd would be a tad better.

If high gas prices vs the mpg you were getting pushed you away before - it's not going to get much if any better.

Yeah I am thinking about getting rid of a couple of vehicles and getting a 4 door duramonster.  0% kicks ass

My understanding is that the 0% does not apply to the Duramax trucks - 1500 light duty only. And no '07 Tahoe/Suburban/Avalanche, and of course, no Corvette.

Oh man, we're getting an 07' GMC Donali...it would be nice it they cut us a deal like that :sigh:

Actually, there are several new features on the 06 over the 03. Electric fans, probably a moon/sun roof, a plus for sun roof is a much more solid roof in the truck, a 14 bolt rear end, 3 stall homelink garage door openers, even though the 06's have drum breaks on the rear, they work great, the pedal feels the way it should, chrome wheels are standard, and the xm and onstar now share the same antenna and of course don't forget the new hood. I just traded my 04 for an 06 and am very happy. :D

:flag: Thanks all,, We decided against the Intimidator version (couldn't justify the cost) but we found a Black SS with everything except TC and Sun Roof in Cincinnati, and thanks to the 0%, my payment will come down $15.. Of couse I will have to add my standard mods - AEM Brute Force / PCMforLess Tune / Flowmaster Suv 50. AND my dealer is allowing me to keep my 20x9 American Racing Magnet wheels and 285x50 Hankook tires, so I'll have two sets to occupy my driving..

Really missed the 2003, after it was gone, and now have a "driver" so that I won't go through 1 1/2 tanks of fuel just to and from work every week.. That should really help the "enjoyment" factor and let me chase my way to some more NHRA events....

Am really looking forward to getting the truck - early next week.. Will keep ya'll posted as mods and performance are tested..

Yeah I am thinking about getting rid of a couple of vehicles and getting a 4 door duramonster.  0% kicks ass

My understanding is that the 0% does not apply to the Duramax trucks - 1500 light duty only. And no '07 Tahoe/Suburban/Avalanche, and of course, no Corvette.

We quoted a fellow employee at Jegs a 0% price on the 3/4 ton duramax w/ 6speed Allison , today.. So I think the deal is good at least thru the 3/4 tom...

• 2 weeks later...

regular duramax (lby?)is covered by 0% the upgrade lbz isn't. what is it 360hp 650ft lbs or something vs. the 300hp 520 ft-lbs duramax

that was my understanding dealer coulda been stroking me to sell the wimpy duramax and get it of the lot.

i have an 05', it has the electric fans and about every other extra you could think of including sunroof, although its a 2wd, and i was wondering if its that bad it bein only 2wd, cuz some people are like ohhhh its not a true ss without the awd, but i just tell them they started making 2wd in 05 which they did, but i mean its still got the 6.0 and all, i love it....

i have an 05', it has the electric fans and about every other extra you could think of including sunroof, although its a 2wd, and i was wondering if its that bad it bein only 2wd, cuz some people are like ohhhh its not a true ss without the awd, but i just tell them they started making 2wd in 05 which they did, but i mean its still got the 6.0 and all, i love it....

That argument gets pretty intense with some people; FWIW none of us have a 'true' SS drivetrain, the original concept truck has the vette rear-mounted 6-speed + AWD + full air-ride suspension. No, it's not bad that your SS is 2WD. In all honesty there really is not that huge a difference between the two trucks, there is a difference but it's just not that major of one - however it is the little things in life that count and the AWD truck is just not for everyone. Several years back there were a few people on this forum very unhappy with the AWD (for differing reasons) and most of those folks traded-in for 2WD trucks and love them (again, for differing reasons).

The two trucks have their trade-offs, the fact is they are really two different kinds of performance vehicles and after a certain point you have to mod them differently. Both trucks have their good points; in the end what matters is what you feel a performance truck should be for you. Just count your blessings that you don't have to deal with a noisy transfer case, or defective/noisy front differential bearings, or dangerously crappy front brakes. And celebrate that you can produce a gnarly burnout and bark'em into 2nd.

Mr. P. :)

FWIW none of us have a 'true' SS drivetrain, the original concept truck has the vette rear-mounted 6-speed + AWD + full air-ride suspension. 

I guess we see it differently. To me, the "true" SS is what was produced. Production usually always differs from concept. The concept was...just that...concept, not the "true" SS. :P