• Leave the cats in
    • Take them out
    • Cats and an X-pipe
    • No cats and an X-pipe

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My original passenger side cat cost me an engine. I had long tube headers but I ditched them in favor of a set of stock headpipes with cats which I promptly hollowed out like Mr P did...cost me nothing. As an added bonus they will pass a visual inspection and since I am tuned properly I would think that I should have no problem passing emissions.

Dave

• 2 months later...

cats serve no damm purpose IMHO. they are another way to follow epa shit and hurt perfromance

as for the rasp it comes from the Y pipes we use that are unequal in lenght. Vettes without cats dont have rasp, any true equal lenght exhaust doesnt have rasp

when you encounter unequal lenghts you get rasp, yes you can bandaid rasp with restictions in the exhaust but remember any restriction in the air intake and exhaust hurts performance. any time you hear this tiny amount doesnt hurt performance is full of it. for a all out ride you lose any restriction you have for a bolt on ride it wont matter

so if street ride then it wont matter if you have a strip/street ride it might be benefical to elimnated the, for a strip ride there isnt such thing as cats

I'm just looking for a little input one what you guys think. I have a set of Pacesetter long tube's getting ready to be installed but I don't want to mess my engine up. I've heard of problems with valve floating and story's of messing the compression up when you remove the cats and run nothing but mufflers.

where did you hear this BS? think race cars dont have cats and dont have issues, same ppl that make that crap up are the same who say a TBspacer does something

so how can i take my cats off with my pacesetters and corsa sport and eliminate the rasp? when i had the cats off, it was unbearable with the rasp. it only sounded good at WOT. and i mean really good. i want that but without the rasp at all other rpm's. how can i do this?

Edited by BlackSS04 (see edit history)

so how can i take my cats off with my pacesetters and corsa sport and eliminate the rasp? when i had the cats off, it was unbearable with the rasp. it only sounded good at WOT. and i mean really good. i want that but without the rasp at all other rpm's. how can i do this?

are you running a single muffer? if so run two mufflers, you want your exhaust to be equal or near equal in lenght, you could add a X in the tubing to help out. like stated Rasp is from unequal lenghts in piping. i said Y pipe but same goes for if both pipes of the SSS exhaust goes into single muffler

you have two rates of flowing air hitting one another and causing the rasp. when you have two air rates not hitting eachother in such a manor where its causing an interfercing then you wont have rasp

think of any true dual exhaust setup and it doesnt have rasp, then think of any exhaust that is Merged and it has rasp when nothing but mufflers. the cats help slow down the air flow ot help cancel some of the rasp out

i am running just one muffler. thats the way corsa is desinged. its not meant to have dual mufflers, so i don't think i will be able to do that. you think an x pipe will do something? i don't know, i might just leave it how it is. it sounds mean now, but without cats was just off the chain at wot. goddamn rasp made me get high flows. :banghead: :banghead:

i am running just one muffler. thats the way corsa is desinged. its not meant to have dual mufflers, so i don't think i will be able to do that. you think an x pipe will do something? i don't know, i might just leave it how it is. it sounds mean now, but without cats was just off the chain at wot. goddamn rasp made me get high flows. :banghead: :banghead:

Highflow cat is such an oxymoron

it might help, just know that duals into single muffler will almost always give you rasp. thus being a "bolt on application"

Highflow cat is such an oxymoron

it might help, just know that duals into single muffler will almost always give you rasp. thus being a "bolt on application"

so your saying the only way i can run no cats without the rasp is to get another corsa muffler and run duals? i wonder if that would work? has anyone tried it around here? two corsa mufflers would be plain insanity.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just got done with my Pacesetter's install. I had a big surprise when I went to pick up my truck, they removed the cats!!! I wasn't sure if they would need to do so but it is raspier than before and my truck is a daily driver. it smells also. but the crisp and throaty sound is nice. I don't have to pass emissions here anyways.

I'm still wondering if cats would minimize that sound?