Cam install ends bad

Everything is in and back together. That's where the good part ends.

It is loud as hell, sounds like lifters banging or something. I know it is normal for a few seconds while they fill up with oil but it went on for like 5 minutes. Oil levels and pressure is good.

I also can't keep it running. I have to hold down on the throttle. I know it might take awhile to re-learn itself but I gave up after about 5 minutes.

Please tell me that there is something simple as to why it is doing this. The engine light is on but that doesn't surprise me.

I fly out to San Diego at 6 am tommorrow morning so it has to sit dead in my driveway for a week

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crank gear was aligned right, couldn't get any closer. Didn't change out the lifters Ben, so no torque pecs on those.

Zippy, yes I changed out the springs. I can try and gets some codes. Going to have to wait a week though. :fume:

Crank gear was aligned right, couldn't get any closer. Didn't change out the lifters Ben, so no torque pecs on those.

Zippy, yes I changed out the springs. I can try and gets some codes. Going to have to wait a week though. :fume:

I meant , rockers.

What sized cam? It sounds like you have a cam that needs to be tuned. Not sure on the valvetrain noise. Mine is a little noisy, but I was expecing it. Before I tuned my cam, it would stumble and grumble and occasionally die while idleing. Raising the idle cures this. The lope sound you hear is caused be misfires at low rpms. That is probably what has set off your check engine light. Code should be 300 for misfires.

What sized cam? It sounds like you have a cam that needs to be tuned. Not sure on the valvetrain noise. Mine is a little noisy, but I was expecing it. Before I tuned my cam, it would stumble and grumble and occasionally die while idleing. Raising the idle cures this. The lope sound you hear is caused be misfires at low rpms. That is probably what has set off your check engine light. Code should be 300 for misfires.

He put in the same cam that I have right now. I had zero issues, except the random misfire codes.

Man, its hard to screw up one of these cam installs. That cam is pretty mild, so the valvetrain shouldn't be loud. Stock pushrods are justs fine. Rockers are not adjustable. As long as the cam / crank gears are lined up dot-to-dot, there isn't any timing adjustment. If he got the timing chain off by one tooth, it could act that way. Since its a small cam, I think he'd have to be off by at least 2 teeth before he had any piston / valve clearance issues. I forgot how many teeth the cam gear has, but if its off by one tooth, it would be like advancing or retarding it 10 degrees if it has 36 teeth. The only lifter problem you could have is dropping one during the install, but that is not the issue.

I'd get back in there and verify the timing chain. Verify the rocker bolts are torqued to 22 ft-pounds. I tightened mine to 25+. Go ahead an reuse your crank bolt and front cover seal.

Dont get frusterated and pull the cam. You can figure it out. Go to www.ls1tech.com to the internal engine section and do some research. There have been tons of posts about fouled up cam installs. You can learn a little and also understand that you arent in too bad of a spot.

Keep me informed.

Richard

Is it possible for a lifter to rotate 90 degrees so that the roller is ..uh  ...not rolling?

No... There are supposed to be plastic retainers that keep the lifters lined up correctly. (dug that info up)

The lifters are round, but the top sides have been squared off. These flat sides keep the lifter aligned properly in the lifter cups.

Archived