Cam install ends bad

Slim - Its a good thing you went with a fairly small cam. A cam with larger duration adn more lift would have caused your pistons to hit your valves. Thats never a good thing. Glad it all worked out now.

I changed out my firsts Trans and converter in my truck in my garage without good trans tools. Since then, I've just pait to have it done. I paid $225 to have the converter installed in my SS. Thia was a cash payment to my dealers service dept transmission tech. I'm still a little pissed. It drove horrible on the way home, asn as it turns out, it was over 3 quarts low! You'd think a dealership would know better.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea Tex, I am glad I went with the cam I did too. Of course you would think that as careful as I was I wouldn't have messed up the most imortant thing of the install. I will get it all back together tommorrow and back on the road.

On the trans........ I am pretty sure I will be taking it and letting someone else do it. I may do the servo and shift kit, but the TC is for someone else.

OK, got it torn back apart, got the dots lined up and all I can say is MUCH BETTER!

Truck seems to be running fine. That lousy noise is all gone. There seems to be something knocking but it may be me just being paranoid. The only thing that I don't like so far is when I am sitting in drive at a stop, the truck wants to die on me. For the first 5 miles or so it died every time I came to a stop. It is already starting to get better though and I can sit in drive with the brakes on and it will stay running. Only about 500 rpms but it keeps going. I guess it takes some miles for the computer to learn it.

Al I can say is, DAMN THAT WAS DUMB....... :thumbs:

Yeah, I'm intersted in your opinion of the cam also. We did our installs (radix/cam) reversed. I'm guessing it will be harder for you to feel the difference.

The stalling will get pretty good after about 100, or so, miles. It really needs a higher idle RPM. I hate to tell you this, but that will only get worse with the install of the 2600 stall. Mine was only doing every so often, now it's a common occurence. It's really only bad if it's cold. I let it run for a little while in the morning.

Don't really have much of an opinion yet as I only have about 15 miles on it. Of course you don't want my opinion of how I like it this morning. It stalled about 15 times on the way to work. Doesn't like coming up to a stop sign thats for sure. I am not sure how long I will be able to handle this before it pisses me off and I park it until I can get it tuned.

slimsoftball Posted on Dec 9 2003, 10:26 AM

Next question. Anyone put any stock in the validity of drilling the hole in the throttle body bigger to get more air to it at idle

Isn't the throttle body hole mod for engines with IAC (Idle Air Control?)? I think the electronic throttle control engines (ETC) no longer have separate IAC motors. I think the ETC engines control the idle air with throttle blade position. If you had tuning capability, you could just raise your idle speed a bit...

I'm not an expert, so some of the more experienced members wanna chime in???

:cheers:

Next question. Anyone put any stock in the validity of drilling the hole in the throttle body bigger to get more air to it at idle.

Yes, before we had the option of raising the idle, LOTS of guys drilled the TB.

I don't think the stock TB blade on our trucks has a hole, so start with a real small one. Maybe 1/16th or smaller if you have a smaller bit

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111113

you could do that, but when it comes time for proper tuning, it may be an issue.

Good point Zippy. I am not really considering it anymore. It was more of a patience issue with me because I won't be able to get the tune done until after the first of the year.

I guess for a temporary solution you could put a little metal clip or something on the edge of the throttle blade to keep it from closing fully... ? It would have to be something that would stay put and not get sucked into the engine... :nono:

I guess for a temporary solution you could put a little metal clip or something on the edge of the throttle blade to keep it from closing fully... ? It would have to be something that would stay put and not get sucked into the engine... :nono:

Lengthen a paperclip until it looks like a candy cane. Place the hook over the outer TB lip and allow the intake tube to hold it in place. Have the long end along the bottom of the TB past the blade. That choud keep the blade from closing all the way and not be a "permanent" mod. This might make the idle too high though.

Just dont let the paperclip wedge the blade open at full throttle. :eek:

Archived