Cam install ends bad

too bad slim, i was looking forward to seeing how that cam works out.

keep us updated and good luck,

the install is very straight forward, maybe check that chain again, it may be off.

btw, i just installed a cam in my father in law's 5.3L, after we got it all sealed up and started, the oil pump failed 3 minutes after running, doh :crazy:

no biggy though, replaced and all is good. it just sux having to remove everything, again.

good luck i'm sure you'll fix it.

allen

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright guys I am back. I appreciate al the advice and now you have me feeling better about it. I am pretty sure I got that the dots lined up right. I will yank off the valve covers and check out the rockers before I pull off the timing cover again. Then I will strip it back down and check the dots to make sure they are llined up. Actually There isn't a dot on the crank gear it was a line. At least i hope there wasn't a dat. I rotated it all the way around just to make sure and there was a line on both sides of the crank gear 180 apart. Is there a dot also? hmmmm.

Either way I won't be able to get it apart today. I just got home after a week and wan't to spend time with the wife and kids. I will dig into it tommorrow after work. Thanks guys and keep the suggestions coming.

I guess that has to be it. I will start tearing it back down later I guess. I would have sworn there was a line not a dot, but you saw it on yours.

I can at least get away with not taking the radiator and stuff out I would think.

Wow it is amazing how fast you can do this the second time around.

Turns out you guys were right. I was lining the dot up off of the wrong freaking thing. :smash:

The dots were definately off. I would say 2 or 3 teeth. I think enough where the truck wouldn't run right and make alot of noise, but not enough to blow it up luckily. Now that I know what it is I closed it up for the night and tommorrow I will take the valve covers off to get the lifters off the cam so I can turn it. All I can say I am at least glad I know what went wrong. Of course I should kick myself in the ass for being so stupid.

Just glad it was something simple.

Are you doing the tranny work yourself, or paying someone to do? I did it in my driveway in 30* weather (at night anyway). Took 2 days, with help from a friend. You have to do the servo and shift kit, though. Awesome results. Spinning four wheels on dry pavement is :cool:

i have an idea how that feels, had some issue's i've worked on like that before. the last trans i did broke the forward clutch sprag upon first engagement and rather than replacing it right away once i heard the problem it had, i kept telling myself that's too easy so i spent about two weeks checking out and replacing other stuff until i finally decided that was enough, pulled it apart and sure enough the damn thing was broken. the only problem i had after that was the guy about a week or so later saying it shited too hard so i left the the valvebody the way i put it, but pulled the modified servo. all in all, i know how ya feel. :) glad to hear you found the problem though.

As a matter of fact I have the shift kit and servo sitting in my garage. I didn't get a chance to order the yank before tbyrne ended their sale but I will get one soon. I am pretty positive I will be taking it to someone to put in.

Any of you guys out there know what price range I should be looking at for the shift kit/servo/converter install.

Turns out you guys were right. I was lining the dot up off of the wrong freaking thing. :smash:

The dots were definately off. I would say 2 or 3 teeth. I think enough where the truck wouldn't run right and make alot of noise, but not enough to blow it up luckily. Now that I know what it is I closed it up for the night and tommorrow I will take the valve covers off to get the lifters off the cam so I can turn it. All I can say I am at least glad I know what went wrong. Of course I should kick myself in the ass for being so stupid.

Hopefully you didn't bend any valves with the dots off 2-3 teeth. If you still have a noise after it's lined up, that could be the prob. I kind of doubt you would of had contact with the pistons...but just a heads up. Hopefully it all goes smooth. :thumbs:

Turns out you guys were right.  I was lining the dot up off of the wrong freaking thing.  :smash:

The dots were definately off.  I would say 2 or 3 teeth.  I think enough where the truck wouldn't run right and make alot of noise, but not enough to blow it up luckily.  Now that I know what it is I closed it up for the night and tommorrow I will take the valve covers off to get the lifters off the cam so I can turn it.  All I can say I am at least glad I know what went wrong.  Of course I should kick myself in the ass for being so stupid.

Hopefully you didn't bend any valves with the dots off 2-3 teeth. If you still have a noise after it's lined up, that could be the prob. I kind of doubt you would of had contact with the pistons...but just a heads up. Hopefully it all goes smooth. :thumbs:

Yea, I was thinking the same thing. I will just keep my fingers crossed.

Archived