New Forum Member Intro Thread

misterp

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI! Long time listener first time caller... my name is dave, im a capricorn, i like long walks on the beach... sunset drives in my truck...

if that sounded any worse i'd have to kick my own ass....

welcome noobs...

word of advice, stay clear of west_coast chevy... heard he's playin for the visiting team... heh (punk)

Newbies can't start topics before 10 replies? ...well that explains why I couldn't ask my shift kit question... LOL!!! I'm in the Los Angeles, CA area, and just picked up my used 2003 Silverado SS. It has been modified with a shift kit, K&N CAI, headers, full exhaust system (with butterfly-bolt by-pass block-offs that allow me to by-pass the cats), some sort of trans cooler, a twin-scoop hood and a toneau cover. I don't know exactly what was done to the truck because I bought it at auction, but it appears to have been well cared-for by it's previous owner. Here's a picture of my truck:

1184187089.jpg

I was hoping somebody would recognize it and maybe have a bit of history. In any event, it has a fairly substantial 1-2 shift, so I plan to have the Toy Shop have a look at it. I've done a bit of research here, so I understand that we have to be a bit careful with the transmissions.

This is my first pick-up truck, and so far it has been a ton of fun!

Hey erwin nice lookin truck, welcome to the site... wat part of LA r u in??? im not to far im from Compton...

-Rob

HI! Long time listener first time caller... my name is dave, im a capricorn, i like long walks on the beach... sunset drives in my truck...

if that sounded any worse i'd have to kick my own ass....

welcome noobs...

word of advice, stay clear of west_coast chevy... heard he's playin for the visiting team... heh (punk)

HAHA.. correction dave his name is "left-coast-chevy" and he is a little suspect... :lol:

-Rob

I am a new member from Texas. I own a 05 white VHO with a Volant CAI and Magnaflow exhaust. I have a couple of questions about mods for my truck. With a 160 thermostat would it be ok to install that without having a tune for it? Also would someone tuning my truck in person be worth it, or would it be just as beneficial to get a mail order tune? Any help will be appreciated.

I am a new member from Texas. I own a 05 white VHO with a Volant CAI and Magnaflow exhaust. I have a couple of questions about mods for my truck. With a 160 thermostat would it be ok to install that without having a tune for it? Also would someone tuning my truck in person be worth it, or would it be just as beneficial to get a mail order tune? Any help will be appreciated.

Welcome to the site........I don't think installing a 160* stat before a tune is that big of a deal. In your case being in Texas you should check out Charlie Wheatley of Wheatley Performance. He is one of the best tuners out there and he stands behind his work. :thumbs: He can tune it for you in person. :chevy:

e-mail him at [email protected] or PM him on this forum under "wheatley"

Welcome to the site........I don't think installing a 160* stat before a tune is that big of a deal. In your case being in Texas you should check out Charlie Wheatley of Wheatley Performance. He is one of the best tuners out there and he stands behind his work. :thumbs: He can tune it for you in person. :chevy:

e-mail him at [email protected] or PM him on this forum under "wheatley"

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info.

Welcome fellow Texan tx_patriot.gif Charlie Wheatley is a very good recommendation and he's located in north Houston - wherbouts do you live? If you are closer to DFW let me know, we can probably recommend a couple local guys that are also very skilled.

Mr. P. :)

Welcome fellow Texan tx_patriot.gif Charlie Wheatley is a very good recommendation and he's located in north Houston - wherbouts do you live? If you are closer to DFW let me know, we can probably recommend a couple local guys that are also very skilled.

Mr. P. :)

I live in College Station, about 1.5 hours from Houston. What is a good brand of 160 thermostat? I kind of know the basics of my truck but definitely need to become more educated when it comes to specifics of the truck and different modifications. So with that said, what would be some other basic mods that I could put on my truck to make it a good all around preformer?

I live in College Station, about 1.5 hours from Houston. What is a good brand of 160 thermostat? I kind of know the basics of my truck but definitely need to become more educated when it comes to specifics of the truck and different modifications. So with that said, what would be some other basic mods that I could put on my truck to make it a good all around preformer?

i just did the basic mods with my 6.0 and i got a huge difference in performance. i have a CAI, catback exhaust & long tube headers, 160* Stat, shift kit, torque converter, and a tune. all those really made a monster difference in performance over stock. i'm thinking i gained a second or more with those bolt-on's. its definetly a good way to get going quickfast.

Yeah definitely look-up Charlie Wheatley; he's relocated to north Houston, somewhere between the airport and The Woodlands I think :confused:. Basic mods - add headers (my current fav = OBX), shift kit/servos, Trailblazer I6 converter, 160-tstat + Wheatley tune should get you very, very low 14's if not 14-flat in the quarter; it also shouldn't significantly affect your mileage either. That's a budget of about $1500. If you want to go a little 'racier' look into a 2800-rpm converter (anything less isn't worth it, don't go higher than 3K-rpm) & tranny cooler but those cost more $$$ and will eat into your city mileage.

Another tuner option is Allen Nelson, he is located in San Antonio. Don't waste your money on a handheld IMO.

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

Yeah definitely look-up Charlie Wheatley; he's relocated to north Houston, somewhere between the airport and The Woodlands I think :confused: . Basic mods - add headers (my current fav = OBX), shift kit/servos, Trailblazer I6 converter, 160-tstat + Wheatley tune should get you very, very low 14's if not 14-flat in the quarter; it also shouldn't significantly affect your mileage either. That's a budget of about $1500. If you want to go a little 'racier' look into a 2800-rpm converter (anything less isn't worth it, don't go higher than 3K-rpm) & tranny cooler but those cost more $$$ and will eat into your city mileage.

Another tuner option is Allen Nelson, he is located in San Antonio. Don't waste your money on a handheld IMO.

Mr. P.

Thanks for the advice, its a great help. Also, do all these trucks come with the same transmission or do some come with different variations? If so, how could I find out which one my truck has?