Has any SS Silverado owners ran a lightning yet?

SS Adam

IMO the L is no truck unless it will be able to drive in the winter,pull something,go through mud.

:withstupid: I agree with that. The lightning isn't really made to do a whole lot of "Truck" stuff, but they are fast. I beat one in my old 96 Z28, but he was stock and mine was modded to the 12's (man i miss that car). Anyway, on the street, from a dead stop-The Silverado stands a decent chance off the line, especially if the road is somewhat wet. If the SS is blown, it'll have an even better time holding off the lightning while it's trying to make up from spinning off the start. But at the track, any SS will have a hard time-BUT IT CAN BE DONE! :chevy:

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IMO the L is no truck unless it will be able to drive in the winter,pull something,go through mud.

:withstupid: I agree with that. The lightning isn't really made to do a whole lot of "Truck" stuff, but they are fast.

There are plenty of Lightning owners that do all of the above, some do a lot more things to them then I would, but the Lightning is plenty of truck.

A lot of Lightnings out there as tow vehicles, and get a lot of things put in the beds. So I don't see how you can say that they can't or don't do truck work. ;)

Bill-03-SD

:withstupid: I agree with that. The lightning isn't really made to do a whole lot of "Truck" stuff, but they are fast.

There are plenty of Lightning owners that do all of the above, some do a lot more things to them then I would, but the Lightning is plenty of truck.

A lot of Lightnings out there as tow vehicles, and get a lot of things put in the beds. So I don't see how you can say that they can't or don't do truck work. ;)

Bill-03-SD

I haven't seen hardly any lightnings used as work trucks. I know they don't tow a whole lot, not as much as an SS. Not that you can't use one was a truck, just not like you can use an SS as a truck. Plus, a 2WD has a hard time in snow and wet roads(I've had 2wd trucks).What Lightning owners take it through the mud????!!! :chevy:

I haven't seen hardly any lightnings used as work trucks. I know they don't tow a whole lot, not as much as an SS. Not that you can't use one was a truck, just not like you can use an SS as a truck. Plus, a 2WD has a hard time in snow and wet roads(I've had 2wd trucks).What Lightning owners take it through the mud????!!! :chevy:

If you are talking going offroad and taking them into mud bogs, I would hope that no Lightning owners do, as I would hope that you aren't taking your SS offroad beating it in trails and seeing how deep of mud you can go through.

Niether truck was made for that.. :smash:

DIMENSIONS AND CAPACITIES 03 Lightning

Wheelbase: 119.8 in. (3,043mm)

Length: 208 in. (5,283mm)

Height: 70.9 in. (1,801mm)

Width: 79.1 in. (2,009mm)

Track, f/r : 65.3 in. / 65.3 in. (1,661mm / 1,661mm)

Head Room: 40.8 in. (1,036mm)

Leg Room: 40.9 in. (1,039mm)

Shoulder Room: 63.8 in. (1,621mm)

Hip Room: 61.0 in. (1,549mm)

Curb Weight : 4,670 lbs. (2,120 kg)

Fuel Capacity : 25 gallons (94.62 liters)

Weight Distribution, f/r: 57% / 43%

Payload: 1350 lbs. (612 kg)

Towing Capacity: 5,000 lbs. (2,270 kg)

So 1350 in the bed and a tow rating of 5,000 couldn't be used as a truck?

The SS does have a better tow rating but not a great one either?

I was going to buy a 03 SS for my daily driver/ tow vehicle but that to has to low of a tow rating. That is why I bought the Sierra Denali instead.

So how many guys here use there SS as a work truck? A real work truck?

Would you pull under a front end loader and have him dump a load of rock in your bed? I know I wouldn't with any of my trucks, that is why I have a couple of trailers.

So I guess you must say that the GMC Syclone wasn't a truck, because you couldn't do jack with that truck besides having a blast kicking A$$.

Not everyone buys a truck to work to death, some people buy them because they would rather be driving in a truck and a fast one that can hand most sports cars and (all) other production trucks there A$$ is a plus.

I think this might be why they sell (work trucks) and then they sell (Sport performance trucks) Two different types of truck buyers.

Just my opinion..

Bill/ HDMLNIUM

Personally . . . Id rather be smacked in the nuts with a 10 lbs. sledge hammer than drive a blue oval product :eek: , but congrats on building one hell of a fast truck!  :thumbs:  At least its built with tools instead of chopsticks! :flag:

LOL, man you come up with some funny sh#t.

I AIM TO PLEASE. :jester:

I thought I would add that my Lightning is in the new issue of Muscle Mustang and Fast Fords magizine, on the shelf until March.  I picked up two copies today. lol

I know most of you wont be caught dead buying or even looking at a (Ford) magazine, but I thought it was pretty cool, I have three pictures in it and a nice little write up, check it out.

Anyway, back to the offer, some of you guys want to run a Lightning on the street with your modded SS, If you are in the New England area we can make it happen.

All in fun, so the offer is out there.. :cheers:

Bill-03-SD

What are your modifications?

As far as mods go;

JDM built 330ci, heads, cams.

Kenne Bell blower

Full JDM exhaust, longtubes, with magnaflow

built transmission, with PI torque converter

373 gears,

upgraded fuel system

pullies, open filter, electric fan/ water pump

JDM/ Superchips tune

A bunch of other smaller stuff,

742 rwhp dynoed.

It's a real fun truck on the street, and I know it is still just a (Ford) lol

Bill-03-SD

There's no way around it, your truck is pretty badass. Even if it is a Ford. Just out of curiosity how much $ did you invest in performance mods?

Hmmm.....maybe he'll let us drive it for a week if we guess correctly? :jester:

I'd say in the $16-18k range.

I don't know about letting you drive it but I would be more than happy to give you a hell ride in it.. :cheers:

Not to good on the guess' though, more than double that into the performance mods and then and then about another 12 to 14k in cosmetics, wheels and the stereo system.

ouch, I know.. :smash:

Bill-03-SD

My brother-in-law has a H-d Truck. Stock to stock, my SS will get the jump, by almost a full truck length. They pretty well stayed that way until 60 mph when the H-D pulls up beside. Now with the Kenne Bell it is no contest. I.ve ran with Lightning's that are stock...not a big deal.....but the ones that have Full exhaust an smaller pulley's or have been tuned, watch out they're quick. BTW, that is the reason I have a SS.....friend has a Lightning, Full exhaust, heads, pulley's and tuned.......

Hmmm.....maybe he'll let us drive it for a week if we guess correctly? :jester:

I'd say in the $16-18k range.

I don't know about letting you drive it but I would be more than happy to give you a hell ride in it.. :cheers:

Not to good on the guess' though, more than double that into the performance mods and then and then about another 12 to 14k in cosmetics, wheels and the stereo system.

ouch, I know.. :smash:

Bill-03-SD

Well, I thought I went a little light. I kind of figured the engine to be somewhere in the $15-16k by itself. Especially since I'm over $8k on my motor already and still on the stock short block.

Yea, that's a good poing HD. The main reasons I don't like the lightning-for one it's a FORD and I hate ford (no pun intended),2, it's only 2wd, and 3- it only seats 3 at the most. Oh, and it's hard to beat :D I want to race a harley davidson with my Impala SS-I know it's not really a close comparison being a car vs truck, but I know those pull mid to low 14's, and I know i'm close to that. Anyway, drive what you like :chevy:

Yea, that's a good poing HD. The main reasons I don't like the lightning-for one it's a FORD and I hate ford (no pun intended),2, it's only 2wd, and 3- it only seats 3 at the most. Oh, and it's hard to beat :D I want to race a harley davidson with my Impala SS-I know it's not really a close comparison being a car vs truck, but I know those pull mid to low 14's, and I know i'm close to that. Anyway, drive what you like :chevy:

BenKey,

It adds up quick and I have more money into the truck than I would like to tell anyone. ;)

But once you reach a certain point in a build up there is no turning back. I am sure you no what I mean..lol

SilveradoSS04,

Good reply, you have to respect that. :cheers:

I was always a GM guy growing up, and I still lean that way.

When I sold my 87 chevy stepside I missed driving a truck so I had to get something that was quicker than my last. I can't see going backward in performance. I put the ZZ4 350 with a T-56 6-speed with a posi 12 bolt with 411 gears in my 87 when I built it. It was lowered 5 and 7 with 17x8.5's in the front and 17x11's in the rear. It was a sweet and very fun truck when I was finished, but it was finished and it was time to move on to a new project. I missed it and the only truck that would compete from the factory was the Ford Lightning. My first Ford ever, but it has been a very fun truck and I reached my goal of 10's with it. Now it's time to play with the Denali and see where that goes. :flag:

cobrayankee,

Nice to see another Lightning owner over here, and I do remember that Lightning. Not my cup of tea, but to each his own. :cheers:

Bill-03-SD

Archived