Has any SS Silverado owners ran a lightning yet?

SS Adam

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty sure there is a thread in this section titled Silverado SS - 1, Lightning - 0. check it out.

Believe the SS more closely compares to a Harley F-150. The lightning is much lighter and faster out of the box. Not to say it wouldn't be that hard to beat, with the proper mods. N2O is the cheapest way to get where you can beat one.

Has any SS Silverado owners ran a ford lightning yet? What will a stock SS and a stock lightning compare to each other? What have any of ya'll done to outrun one of these trucks?

A stock lightning is about 1.2-1.5 sec faster in the quarter mile than a sock ss. But there's probably abotu 10guys or more on here that could take a stock lightning with modifications.

there's no comparision IMO.  the lighting is a FAR faster truck and will be a lot faster will little money.  you'd have to have a highly modified SS to beat a lightining with 1500 in mods. 

two different trucks.

So what's your definition of highly modified?

Definitely two different animals, a (stock) Lightning will run anywhere from 13.2 to a 14.0 on a really bad air day. It doesn't take much at all to put them in the 12's now. You would be much better matched trying a Supercharged Harley, I know you are going to say but the Harley's are blown and the SS are NA, but it is also a 5.4 versus a 6.0. But then you could say the SS's are AWD where the Ford is just RWD. In the end, you will realize that they are two different kind of trucks and and the Ford is quicker stock to stock by a full second for the Harley to two full seconds for the Lightning.

Is there SS's out there that can beat Lightnings? Sure, but there is a lot more Lightnings out there that can beat the SS.

So if your goal is to be able to run away from a stock Lightning, you better get your mod money together and start spending some.

Also I would love to get my Sierra Denali to be able to run away from a stock Lightning, I have spent over $3300.00 in performance mods so far and a stock Lightning is still about a full second quicker.

No Flame, just the facts in my opinion. :cheers:

Bill-03-SD

there's no comparision IMO.  the lighting is a FAR faster truck and will be a lot faster will little money.  you'd have to have a highly modified SS to beat a lightining with 1500 in mods. 

two different trucks.

So what's your definition of highly modified?

it would take all the bolt on's with heads and cam for a SS to be about the same speed as a lightining with chip, exhaust and pulley.

Remember, most of these guys are street racing, that levels the field a little better. A stock or slightly modified SS will have no traction troubles compared to a L or HD on the street.

I think, on the street, I could take a HD to 100mph. I don't think an L will leave me by much at all either.

I had a Lightning pull up behind me on an onramp a while back. I didn't know it was a Lightning until he pulled up next to me as we merged into traffic. :shakehead: By then it was too late... he was already accelerating. I put my foot in it and followed for a little bit (~60-85mph), but he was pulling away from me, not real fast, but enough to convince me to give up... :sick::fume:

I'd like to try one from the line for fun, but as has been pointed out, the SS needs some serious mods or a power adder to compete in 1/4 mile times...

I've had three encounters. First time was exciting as I went full throttle and watched him pull away faster and faster. (I gave up at 105, and he was still going strong!) Second and Third times were against the same guy, and I felt like he was the bully in school picking on the little kid. Since I get my supercharger next week, I can't wait to see him again..!! No mods, don't waste your time. Lightnings are faster than a stock SS.

No joke!! I test drove an 01 L, It scared the s!@# out of me!! I got back from the test drive my wife was literally pale, I thought I was going to loose her. I was ready to open my check book when she put some sense into me. She said: First of all no matter how fast it is it is "STILL A FORD". Second of all What are you going to drive in the winter? if you are planning to drive the L in the winter might as well get some skis on those rims. Got to love her!!!! Thanks to her i now drive my SS. :thumbs:

I've run into an L twice.

Once in the SS, but it was raining so it doesn’t count, it wasn’t even close. With the AWD the L was all over.

Second time was in Z06, and a guy in a new blue L. He pulled up and wanted to go. We both took off and were nose to nose the entire time. My Z06 was completely stock; his L had a 75 shot with all the pulleys and goodies he could add.

With the current mod's I have on the SS I'm sure I could bet a stock or semi-modified L...

But, if we are talking both being stock, the L will win.

My $.02 :D

Archived