McGaughys 2" drop spindles...

ACDenali

I measured it tonight after I got about 15 miles on it, so it should be all settled in by now. The front is 33.4" and the rear is 33.25. So the front is just slightly higher than the rear. Not noticable when you look at it, but I know its there. My installer at the shop is going to call Mike and see what other tips he can offer us just to make sure we got everything right and that we can get this to a close.

The only reportable issue that I am having left at this time is a strange noise when I make a left hand turn. Its not a grinding sound, but like something is rubbing. The tire clearance is good so its not that, I cant figure out what it is.

Despite all of the little bugs that need to be worked out I am glad that I did it. I was next to a stock SS at a light today and that gap in the wheelwell in the rear really looks bad when you compare it to the look of a slightly lowered truck that eliminates that space. My truck looks so much more custom now and really looks like the sport truck that it is. I dont know if its just me, but even with the really cold temperatures here I am now consistantly getting 16MPG around town. (according to the instant econ in the cluster) The highway mileage is pretty good too, was seeing 18-19 on my ride today. I dont know if lowering it really made the differance or the westers tuning is finally kicking in or what. But somethings going on and I am loving it. I once read an article online that a large portion of fuel efficiency related to aerodynamics comes from the amount of drag created under the vehicle not above. If this is the case, the drop kit will pay for itself in gas alone.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today I put on a set of Edelbrock IAS shocks on the rear and boy let me tell you what difference it made the truck rides alot better I never knew a good shock would make that kind of difference. But now the bad news when I ordered my shocks I ordered front and rear when they came in the fronts were for a 2wd so the said go ahead and take the rears and we will order the right front ones, so I did. I went home and installed the rears and I just love how much smoother the truck rides. So I'am all excited to get the fronts on. Well the shop calls me a couple hours later and tells me after 25 minutes on the phone with edelbrock that they don't make a shock for the front of our trucks when lowered. So now I'am pissed I called edelbrock myself after waiting 20 minutes on hold I finally got to talk to a tech and he states that because the front is lowered their shocks won't work and I said if the stock shocks don't have to be changed couldn't you just put on stock replacement shocks. He said NO that the characteristics are changed and it would not work.

So what does a guy do just say screw it and get the stock replacements anyways or try to find a different shock and have different front and rear shocks or go back to the shop and make them take back these I already have and am very impressed with. :confused:

Today I put on a set of Edelbrock IAS shocks on the rear and boy let me tell you what difference it made the truck rides alot better I never knew a good shock would make that kind of difference. But now the bad news when I ordered my shocks I ordered front and rear when they came in the fronts were for a 2wd so the said go ahead and take the rears and we will order the right front ones, so I did. I went home and installed the rears and I just love how much smoother the truck rides. So I'am all excited to get the fronts on. Well the shop calls me a couple hours later and tells me after 25 minutes on the phone with edelbrock that they don't make a shock for the front of our trucks when lowered. So now I'am pissed I called edelbrock myself after waiting 20 minutes on hold I finally got to talk to a tech and he states that because the front is lowered their shocks won't work and I said if the stock shocks don't have to be changed couldn't you just put on stock replacement shocks. He said NO that the characteristics are changed and it would not work.

So what does a guy do just say screw it and get the stock replacements anyways or try to find a different shock and have different front and rear shocks or go back to the shop and make them take back these I already have and am very impressed with. :confused:

How much lower than stock are you? I'd be tempted to try the stock replacements....

Scandore,

I would also try the stock replacement ones.

Jrock80,

How much clearance is between the spindle or ball joint bolt and the CV boot? In the how to article inStreet Truck it sure looks mighty tight right there. Could that be the cause of the rub?

Thanks guys for all the good info.

Your stock shocks will work when lowered, right? So why wouldn't a stock replacement Edelbrock shock work? What is the diff btwn a 2wd shock and a 4wd shock? Do they make a 2wd shock for a lowered truck? 4wd trucks usually don't get lowered, usually, so Edelbrock probably isn't going to make one. However, they usually keep up pretty good with the lowering craziness. I would see if they make a 2wd shock for a lowered truck and find out if it's usuable. I don't know what the differences are.

Folks, what about Ground Forces shocks. There kit w/ keys lowers the front 2", same as the spindle kit, only in a different way. So I would venture that their shocks would be for the shorter height. I just turned down my torsion bars, and I'm only .25" higher than jock80's truck.

Scandore, I'm putting the stock shocks back on the front of my truck after I do the spindles. If you want to try GroundForce shocks let me know, we can arrange something.

Here's a pic comparing the height of the two, the GF one is about 1.5" shorter.

36288441.jpg

Well I decided to take a trip over the weekend with the truck. It doesnt ride very bad, but i wouldnt describe the ride as good either. Over 300 miles it got pretty tiring. There is still a little vibration left somewhere, but it is not as noticeable as before. I think it actually may be comming from the rear now since we raised the front up a little. So what I am going to do is have the rear take up 1" and raise the front up 1/4" more. I did notice it bottoming out on the highway at faster speeds. If I take it above 80 the vibration becomes much more apparent. So hopefully this final adjustment will be the one to solve all my problems.

What I am most worried about is the reliability and longevity of the vehicle, suspension, and driveline parts with this drop kit. The vibration and wierd noises it has been making when turning really make me uneasy. I suddenly feel like i have a vehicle that has less than 2000 miles on it and it feels like it has 200,000 miles on it.

Hopefully this week I can schedule another time when I can get it into be looked at and adjusted.

It sounds like 2004SS has the best solution so far. He seems to have no bugs at all with his set up. That is the one I'm going to copy. I would try going to the 1" hole on the hanger as well as the 1" hole on the shackle. That should(??) correct the rear pinion angle and should(??) fix the vibration. It also seems like about 34" in front is where it winds up being without vibration. I hope you get everything worked out on it.

• 1 month later...

Archived