McGaughys 2" drop spindles...

ACDenali

Jrock, what hole do you have the hangers on? Also, for the tire rub you could try this. There is a hole in the bottom of the fenderlip, take a ziptie a slip the end through the hole from the inside out. Then cut the claspy end off of another one and slide it on the first one just enough to make it so the first one can't slide back through, then wrap it around a fender support and tighten it a bit. It will pull the fenderwell out of the way just a bit and give you clearance. It's hard to explain but it works great and you can't even tell it's there. I had a rub on my passenger side after doing the homemade ram air so I did this. I'll try to snap a pic of it to show you.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So for those of you that have had the kit installed, is it worth paying to get it all installed or is it something someone can do with decent mechanical talent and a good set of tools. Of course then having it aligned after installation.

Trying to figure out what I am getting myself into if I order this kit. I recall someone mentioning grinding the A-arms previously in this thread????? Is that really the case?? :nonod:

Does the bed really need to be removed to get the hanger bolts in?? Can the stock hanger rivets be drilled out or do you need an air chisel??

Sorry for all the questions, just wanna know. :seeya:

They set mine up on the second hole, he said the bottom one was way too low. It almost looked like the back was lower than the front, kinda ghetto IMO. They didnt have to take off my bed or gas tank to complete the install, I dunno how they did it, but they did an excellant job. I am impressed. This is definately something I wouldnt try to do myself, I understand its kind of a steep price for install but this is a safety component. An improper install could lead to one of the front wheels comming off, brake failure, etc. I would rather leave it to someone with the tools and understanding rather than try to second guess myself.

smithl3,

There is a lot of work involved the fuel tank has to be moved to gain access to the hanger bolts the bed doesn't have to be removed and then there is the front working with the all wheel drive gear at the front. It will take a shop 6-8 hrs to install you? depending on you technical ability maybe a weekend bearing in mind you will be scrambling around on your back working around axle stands and jacks. Hey Its your call its just a lot of work.

the end result is worth it.

IMO use the lower bolts on the front hanger it is too low otherwise and cut down your bump stops to about 1/2 inch it wont hit then and will give you a better ride.

Good luck just contact us if you need further information. I didnt do my install but I have been involved with my install quite a bit and I may be able to help you some what.

Go get 'em

ssblackss

SmithL3,

I think we can do it, it might take a weekend but we can get it done. The ball joint bolts have to be cut down after you install the new spindles, that is the only cutting I know of in the front. In the rear we can use a cut off wheel to cut an X in the rivets then chisel them out. I have an air chisel and I will have a cut off tool or angle die grinder by the time I do the install. A friend of mine is going to help me(us?) if you want to do your's too. We could do mine one day and your's the next or something like that. Something to think about.

rico750sxi,

Sounds like a plan, I haven't got the kit yet, but it is coming soon. I think this may be a project for some better weather though.

We'll see but I am def. down with doing them together :thumbs:

Don't let BeKey see this but I agree, this is a job for better weather. I wasn't planning on doing it for a little while anyways. I may do the back if we get some warm weather. This weekend is supposed to be warm enough to do the exhaust install at least.

Just had the truck measured and I am at 10 7/8 inch rear and 10 1/2inch front from the rocker panel/plastic door trim

any one else got measurements?

Plus I seem to be sitting on the front bumpstops now :confused:

WTF Over

ssblackss

Oh, I'm dying to do it but looking at an 8-10 hr day of laying in slushy, muddy driveway is just a little much right now. My garage isn't quite big enough for the two of us and my truck, would be a little too intimate shall we say. There isn't much room to work on the passenger side in my garage. I will at least be doing the exhaust no matter what this weekend.

Just had the truck measured and I am at 10 7/8 inch rear and 10 1/2inch front from the rocker panel/plastic door trim

any one else got measurements?

Plus I seem to be sitting on the front bumpstops now :confused:

WTF Over

ssblackss

How about some ground the bottom of the fender lip, centered through the wheels hubcap. That's what most of us have used in the past. :thumbs:

Day 2...Everything running well still. But the vibration I thought went away before is still present. It feels like a shuddering under hard acceleration. Tonight is the first night I ever had my truck WOT. :-) Cruising at any speed doesnt cause it, just under heavy power. Any ideas?

Well, so much for the McGhaughy's kit and lack of vibration!! I can pass on though that when I talked to them yesterday they agreed that if I used the 1" hole on the hangers while keeping the shackles at the 2" hole that it may change the pinion angle and cause vibration. That's when I suggested going with the 1" hole on both because it should keep the stock pinion angle. They told me to try and and let them know. Maybe it's worth a try to you jrock80.

Yeah I am not sure where the vibration is comming from. Feels more like the front than the rear. If the RPMs are higher than like 3500 accelerating you can feel it. Same thing on the highway, anything about 80MPH or so and it really starts to kick in. Its a shake through the steering wheel. I was kinda bummed, I thought everything was going good until this started creeping up. I am going to try to get some time and take it back next week where i had it installed to see if they can just check things over. I am not expecting it to be perfect, i understand lowering it changes things, and I do realize that even stock I did have some vibration between the tires and front driveshaft, but this is pretty bad. My concern is that something major will be affected (transmission, differential, transfer case, etc), and I know my Chevy dealer, if anything breaks now, they will definately not provide me with support under my warranty because of what i have done to the truck.

On the upside i am somehow getting better gas mileage with the truck lowered than before, about 1-2 MPG on the highway. Dont know if that changed the aerodynamics of tha truck that much or what, but it glides along smother. I definately love the way the truck looks and handles now. Its supposed to be in the 40's tomorow (heatwave!) so I will wash the truck and try to get some pics for you guys.

Archived