McGaughys 2" drop spindles...

ACDenali

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:P Hi All I have just purchased my SS yesterday and have had my tires changed from my old truck (1200 miles on them) to the new SS but they are 305 50 20's.

Look real good and agressive Khumo Ecstas (sp).

Now my question is I have just ordered my kit from Mcgaughys and was wondering if the tires will cause an issue when lowered :nonod:

Has anyone had any feed back on this? If not i guess i will be the first guinnea pig and I hope it all works out ok.

FYI the rivetts for the rear hangers at the front of the leaf spring have to be ground or chisled off and i guess this means the job is final and no returning back to stock? is this correct.

Sorry just a little nervous spent 385.00 and don't really know much about the job.

Cheers

SSblackSS

PS have spoken to the guys at Mcgaughys and all stock suspension parts can be used ie shocks and spring for the front and shocks for the rear now thats pretty neat.

• 2 weeks later...

jrock80,

I paid $385 plus shipping then I found a dealer here in Lweisville who are now stocking the Kits. They said that I would have only saved 15.00 if i had bought the kit from them so I am happy really No tax but shipping its a trade off.

They want $300 to fit the kit though. would like to find an install a little cheaper.

Oh yeah You won't need shock extenders for the SS but you will for the subs and denalis etc I think that is to do with the shorter shocks as standard with the lowered stance from the factory.

Cheers

Jonathan :seeya:

Im planning on getting these spindles and running a set of Hotchkis 4" springs in the rear, then just level it out with the torsion bars, Is anyone else thinking about doing this???

I think the truck will look sweet but I dont think Ill be able to clear stock tires. Im probably gonna have to go down to like a 45 series or something. Isnt that the size they had on the concept SS? Thats probably about how low id end up.

jrock80,

I paid $385 plus shipping then I found a dealer here in Lweisville who are now stocking the Kits. They said that I would have only saved 15.00 if i had bought the kit from them so I am happy really No tax but shipping its a trade off.

They want $300 to fit the kit though. would like to find an install a little cheaper.

Oh yeah You won't need shock extenders for the SS but you will for the subs and denalis etc I think that is to do with the shorter shocks as standard with the lowered stance from the factory.

Cheers

Jonathan :seeya:

I got (1) the spindles installed, (2) the drop springs installed [i have coil springs in my Avalanche], (3) the shock extenders installed, and (4) an alignment done for $300 total. Don't forget you will require an alignment after the spindle installation.

If they are quoting you $300, that is a decent price.

My local suspension shop quoted me $300 for the complete install and alignment as well. I thought it was reasonable as its about 4 hours of work + an alignment. Definately not something I want to mess with myself.

Thats even better than my price mine was $300 for the install plus an alignment I guess at about $50 I could manage the install my self being an automotive engineer but I feel that I have put all that friggin around and under cars behind me and don't really want to get back to that. I like to mess with the smaller jobs ie CAI and PCM etc but thats about it

See ya

Im planning on getting these spindles and running a set of Hotchkis 4" springs in the rear, then just level it out with the torsion bars, Is anyone else thinking about doing this???

I think the truck will look sweet but I dont think Ill be able to clear stock tires. Im probably gonna have to go down to like a 45 series or something. Isnt that the size they had on the concept SS? Thats probably about how low id end up.

I was looking at this too, as a atlernative to replacing the hangers. Hurry up, and tell me how you like it. :P

I was flipping through the March Sport Truck magazine and there was an install article on the McGaughy Spindle kit. It was on an Escalade EXT so it will only help you on the front. Might give someone an idea towards how hard it is to do it yourself. Page 116. Red GMC HD on the cover.

Doh, yeah it was probably Street Trucks. I wasn't sure if it had been brought up before. I was surprised to see it in print so soon after it hit discussions on the net. It looked pretty straight forward. Popping the balljoints and grinding the A-arms is what would make me nervous.

Archived