McGaughys 2" drop spindles...

ACDenali

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey All

I picked up my truck after having the 2/4 kit installed and it runs pretty good. I have found though that the rear will bottom out if you hit a series of humps in the road that pre load the suspension. I am not sure why I will have to investigate some more... Maybe the stock shocks, or the bump stops what do you all think could cause this?

I am running 305-50-20 and they do not rub any where but the shop said that they do tend to rub on a piece of the plastic inner fender so they heated it up and bent it out of the way no rubbing what so ever. the ride is a little firmer especially from the rear but runs really well besides this. there is no way I could tow something or haul something as it is right now I will see what is with the rear setup and report back soon

Pics to follow when the truck is clean :seeya:

ssblackss

Just got off the phone with MCgaphysiuouoyouus. and they told me that it looks like the bumpstops weren't cut down.. So you have to cut about 1/2 or 2.5in off the original bump stop. problem solved...

Well I ordered the 2/4 deluxe drop kit from mcguaphys yesterday and its already at my house today. Cant wait to get it installed.

Hey, take it to the track with you tomorrow and you'll have that help from fellow SS owners. They won't mind. ;)

Well I ordered the 2/4 deluxe drop kit from mcguaphys yesterday and its already at my house today.  Cant wait to get it installed.

Hey, take it to the track with you tomorrow and you'll have that help from fellow SS owners. They won't mind. ;)

Only problem is that the box weighs like 60 lbs, and I dont want to leave a $400 set of spindles/shackles just sitting around while im making my runs. Anybody interested in helping me install the kit. Someone knowledgable that can help me out and ill do the work.

I will give you a heads up on the install....

It took the company that did my install 8.5 hrs to put it on... Now all be it a labour intensive operation there was two guys doing it one on each side. and they had air tools and a fully equipped shop at their disposal. With all that being said Mcgaughys said it should realistically take 4-6hrs I think I may have been ripped a new A$$ hole over this but there you go sometimes you sometimes you lose.

It also will have a lot of positive camber once the kit is on and it will need an allignment imediately after installation.

I personally would not have attempted this "on my back" in my driveway.

With it being allwheel drive there is a lot more to deal with up front as well.

Just my$0.02

Cheere

ssblackss

Can you give details on what some of the problems were please? I was planning on attempting this "on my back in my driveway" until I read this. I will still probably try it though, I have air tools. Also, can you take a look at the CV boots, how much clearance is there between the boot and the spindle or ball joint nut. The pic I saw in a Mag looked REALLY tight.

Also, can we see some pics, I want to see how low the rear is. Did you do the full four inches in back? I know the shackles and hangers have two hole in them so you don't have to go so low.

Thanks.

I will download some photos later on today for you all to see the look. Looks really nice and sporty.

The company that installed my kit pretty much screwed it up at the front and rear.

1st.Front brake line twisted and wrapped around a suspension component when re-installed.

2nd Installed the rear hangers on the lowest setting therefore the truck was riding on the bumpstops all the time and they didnt cut the bumpstops at all.

So I had to with a friend remove and cut the bump stops, undo the fuel tank and shift it over to gain access to the bolts for the hangers on the drivers side remove the hanger assy. and change the front hanger position to allow me more suspension travel. and again on the passenger side It still sometimes bottoms out if it hits hard but it rides Ok.

Will have to invest in some shorter shocks soon I think.

Cheers

ssblackss

I will try and post some photos of the front and rear underneath as well.

Everyone who attended the Carlsbad meet got to see Darkseed's 2/3 or 2/4 drop with this kit. Let me tell you, his truck is bad a$$. Just the way it sits, it looks perfect.

Late- Alex

Everyone who attended the Carlsbad meet got to see Darkseed's 2/3 or 2/4 drop with this kit. Let me tell you, his truck is bad a$$. Just the way it sits, it looks perfect.

Late- Alex

:withstupid:

Darkseeds truck looks awsome. The trucks stance is perfect. :thumbs:

Darkseed, can you answer a question for me? Are you set on the hole that gives you the full 4" in back?

And I agree, the pics I have seen of his truck look awesome.

SSblackss, so are you now at about a 3" rear drop? Do you feel any vibrations this way? The guys at Mcgaughtys said the point of the hanger was to keep the pinion angle correct and I'm wondering if you won't have a vibration in either hole.

Late- Alex

Darkseeds truck looks awsome. The trucks stance is perfect.

:withstupid:

darkseeds truck looks awesome. I just went to pomona today and picked up the deluxe kit from them directly so didn't have to pay tax or shipping. i asked to get it for 375.00 they said they couldn't because they can't undercut the other vendors. so i left and came back and thought "what the heck i'll do it" but they gave me a discount anyway so total came out to 344.00. So i just wanted to give a BIG :thumbs: to the McGaughys guys & gals appreciate the hook up.

Rico

I have kept the hanger just as Mcgaughys intended it to be installed I have just moved it from the upper hole to the lower hole on the New hanger so I have basically used the lower of the two holes. if this makes any sence at all.

It still bottoms out even over smallish humps in the road not sure really why as this isnt seen as much of an issue by Mcgaughys or its not mentioned much.

Has anyone used any aftermarket shocks that they would recommend? Was thinking of bilstein or the edlebrock shocks?maybe Koni if they make them for the SS.

I hope you all like the kit as I do just having some teething problems and I am sure with all of us on here we will get this issue taken care of.

Take a look at some pictures I have put on car domain to see what yours will look like.

Cheers

Jonathan (ssblackss)

Archived