McGaughys 2" drop spindles...

ACDenali

you will only want to go 3 i think the 4 is too low and causes too much bottoming out I am having a little issue with that right now which I hope to have sorted out soon. I hope you enjoy it it make the truck IMHO...

any one using upgraded shocks? just looking for options on what y'all are using..

Cheers

ssblackss

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does make sense when you say you used the lower hole for a total of 3" of lowering in back. When you say teething problems are you just talking about the bottoming out? Are you having any type of vibration issues? Especially at speeds at or greater than 60-65mph. Vibration from incorrect pinion angle is my biggest fear.

ssblackss, got any links to the pics on CarDomain?

I'm using Bilstein and they seem okay. I can't really say it made a huge difference. When I do the Mcgaughys I'll probably get the rear shock extenders for the rear just to be safe.

Nevermind, I found the link, thanks. And it looks pretty good too!

just go under the WWW icon on my post at it should take you there

:cheers:

ssblackss

ctrow I wouldnt spend the extra money on the shock extenders I just got of the phone with Mcgaghys tech guy and he told me to cut the stops right down to prevent hitting the stops cut them down to about 1/2 inch just to stop the body hitting on a really bad bump. so i am ok with this now...

the shocks dont bottom out and they said that GM puts more money into r&d in shocks and the recommend them over toxic or the other cheap makes out there.

SSblackss,

The truck looks really good! I have a couple(more!!) questions though. Are the pics before or after you raised the rear up the inch? What are your measurements from ground to fenderlip on the front and rear? Also, are you feeling any vibration?

Thanks

No vibration that I have noticed...

the look is after the rear was lifted the 5/8 of an inch that the lower hole will give you according to Mcgaughys. Bearing in mind that the truck was sitting on its bump stops and there was no difference really from then till now. its sits level but my drive has a slight slope to it in the pictures

I am having my kit installed today as well. The shop just called me and said everything went well but that after he put it on, he definately recommends bringing the back up a little bit. He said with the full drop the rear sits way to low. I agreed and told him to take it up an inch or so. Cant wait to pick it up tonight.

I just talked to McGhaughy's asking them if I could do the one inch(5/8") hole on the hanger and the one inch hole on the shackles for a total of two inches. They said to try it and let them know how it comes out. They didn't really know what would happen as far as vibration is concerned and how low it would go.

Thanks for the answers to the questions ssblackss, I appreciate it.

Jrock80, pass on your thoughts after driving it a bit too please.

Well I just got my truck back, man does it look awesome! I cannot believe how good it looks. It rides the same as before, except it handles better. No new noises or anything so far. No rubbing with the factory tires, the installer said, however, to take it easy over train tracks etc as they had to take out the bump stomps completely in the rear to make it work. I need to either find a shorter set or something or cut the original ones down. He also noted that I have a factory 16" spare tire. He said that this tire would now not fit on the front spindles as they are for 17" of bigger. So if I ever got a flat up front I would have to take one from the rear and put the spare on a rear wheel. But so far my impressions are good, my installer did an A+ job and I am very happy with my 20 minute drive back so far. Cant wait to get it washed and take another look at it.

Cutting the stock rear bumpstops is easy with a hacksaw. I have the GroundForce bumpstops and they are pretty small. I think places like StylinConcepts sell shorter ones too.

Also, what holes do you have the hangers and shackles at?

Thanks

Well I just got my truck back, man does it look awesome! I cannot believe how good it looks. It rides the same as before, except it handles better. No new noises or anything so far. No rubbing with the factory tires, the installer said, however, to take it easy over train tracks etc as they had to take out the bump stomps completely in the rear to make it work. I need to either find a shorter set or something or cut the original ones down. He also noted that I have a factory 16" spare tire. He said that this tire would now not fit on the front spindles as they are for 17" of bigger. So if I ever got a flat up front I would have to take one from the rear and put the spare on a rear wheel. But so far my impressions are good, my installer did an A+ job and I am very happy with my 20 minute drive back so far. Cant wait to get it washed and take another look at it.

Care to tell us who installed the kit and what it cost you?

Thanks

:P HEY GUYS JUST WANTED TO SEE WHAT ALL OF YOU THINK ABOUT OUR LOWERING KITS FOR THE NEW SS. HAVE HEARD ALOT ABOUT THIS WEBSITE BUT JUST GOT THE ACTUALL ADDRESS. IT LOOKS LIKE ALL OF YOU ARE PRETTY HAPPY WITH OUR PRODUCTS.

THE SS KIT IS ACTUALLY A 2/3.5 KIT. THE REAR BUMP STOPS CAN BE TRIMMED DOWN TO AS SHORT AS 1/2" TALL,WHAT EVER YOU NEED. AS FOR THE ADJUSTABLE HOLES IN OUR FRONT HANGERS IT WILL RAISE YOU APPROX.

5/8" WITH THE LOWER HOLE. SO FAR NO COMPLAINTS ABOUT VIBRATION.

I CAN TELL YOU IF YOU USE ONLY THE REAR SHACKLE AND NOT THE FRONT HANGER YOU WILL GET VIBRATIONS.

USING ARE HANGER AND SHACKLE YOU WILL MAINTAIN THE FACTORY RIDE BECAUSE ALL YOUR DOING IS MOVING THE SPRING UPWARDS.

EVERYBODY KNOWS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO LOWER THE FRONT OF A VEHICLE

IS WITH SPINDLES. THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT FOR 5 YRS SINCE THIS NEW BODY STYLE CAME OUT NOBODY COULD DO IT UNTIL WE DID.

WE SELL THE TOTAL KIT AS A PACKAGE ONLY SO WE KNOW IT WILL WORK.

IF ANY OF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS CALL ME AND ILL BE GLAD TO ANSWER

MYSELF (IF AVAILABLE) OR ANY OF OUR KNOWLEDGIBLE TECH SUPPORT WILL HELP

PLEASE DONT EMAIL BECAUSE IM NOT MUCH ON COMPUTERS.

SINCERLY MIKE MCGAUGHY

:P HEY GUYS JUST WANTED TO SEE WHAT ALL OF YOU THINK ABOUT OUR LOWERING KITS FOR THE NEW SS. HAVE HEARD ALOT ABOUT THIS WEBSITE BUT JUST GOT THE ACTUALL ADDRESS. IT LOOKS LIKE ALL OF YOU ARE PRETTY HAPPY WITH OUR PRODUCTS.

THE SS KIT IS ACTUALLY A 2/3.5 KIT. THE REAR BUMP STOPS CAN BE TRIMMED DOWN TO AS SHORT AS 1/2" TALL,WHAT EVER YOU NEED. AS FOR THE ADJUSTABLE HOLES IN OUR FRONT HANGERS IT WILL RAISE YOU APPROX.

5/8" WITH THE LOWER HOLE. SO FAR NO COMPLAINTS ABOUT VIBRATION.

I CAN TELL YOU IF YOU USE ONLY THE REAR SHACKLE AND NOT THE FRONT HANGER YOU WILL GET VIBRATIONS.

USING ARE HANGER AND SHACKLE YOU WILL MAINTAIN THE FACTORY RIDE BECAUSE ALL YOUR DOING IS MOVING THE SPRING UPWARDS.

EVERYBODY KNOWS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO LOWER THE FRONT OF A VEHICLE

IS WITH SPINDLES. THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT FOR 5 YRS SINCE THIS NEW BODY STYLE CAME OUT NOBODY COULD DO IT UNTIL WE DID.

WE SELL THE TOTAL KIT AS A PACKAGE ONLY SO WE KNOW IT WILL WORK.

IF ANY OF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS CALL ME AND ILL BE GLAD TO ANSWER

MYSELF (IF AVAILABLE) OR ANY OF OUR KNOWLEDGIBLE TECH SUPPORT WILL HELP

PLEASE DONT EMAIL BECAUSE IM NOT MUCH ON COMPUTERS.

SINCERLY MIKE MCGAUGHY

Mike, welcome to our site. I think everybody with your kit has been really happy so far. I was wondering wether it was a 2/3 or 2/4 drop. I recieved my kit the other day and I cant wait to get it installed after seeing another ss in person with kit on. :thumbs:

Mine was $325 for installation and the alignment. Took them about 6 hours total to do the front and back. It rides like stock. I havent noticed any vibration at high speed that wasnt there before, however, i did notice a little vibration in the drivetrain at first when i got the truck back. It was only during hard acceleration. It smoothed itself out, i dont know if its because the truck is lower or what but it feels faster. :crazy: The front tires do rub if you crank the wheel all the way either direction, they hit the inside liner in the wheelwell. So I am learning just not to turn the wheel all the way. The truck definately gets more looks, cant wait to complete the look with a new hood and custom grille this summer.

For future upgrades, I am considering some urethane bump stomps from stylin (made by belltech), some edelbrock IAS shocks, and a set of hotchkins front and rear sway bars. Now I can go fast and dodge all the huge pot holes around here too. My Westers PCM is scheduled to be here tomorow, I got Wednesday off, so I will be putting the Volant on and getting the Westers in. What a week!

Archived